Hi folks,

First post here. I'm not a guitarist, but a drummer (*gasp*). But, my 12-year old son does play guitar, and has a cheap, somewhat customized guitar that he bought with his own money. In general, it has worked out fine, but one of the tuning pegs has now snapped off, and I'm not sure what to do.

The guitar, uh, appears to be a "Stagg G Force". I can't really find any other identifying characteristics on it anywhere.

Basically, the part of the tuning peg that you pinch between your fingers to turn the tuning peg has snapped off. The rest of the peg is still attached.

I can see where the back side of the peg is attached with a small screw. Can I just buy that part somewhere, and screw the new one in there? If so, how do figure out exactly what kind to buy? Or, is this something that really should be taken to a professional? I mean, this isn't exactly the world's most expensive guitar.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steve
Quote by strings-N-stuff
Hook him up with a new set of Grovers.

That's an EXCELLENT idea!

Now, what's a Grover, and where can I find them?
Quote by gruush
That's an EXCELLENT idea!

Now, what's a Grover, and where can I find them?

Grovers are a brand of tuner. He is suggesting you just replace the whole set of tuners with higher quality ones.
Quote by Crane965
Grovers are a brand of tuner. He is suggesting you just replace the whole set of tuners with higher quality ones.

Do you pretty much have to replace the whole set, or is it possible to just replace the one?

What other options are out there other than Grovers?
its possible, maybe, to replace a single tuner. but it'll be a hassle to find one, and it would look silly. so get a new set. don't get a set of grovers though, because they are very much overpriced. there are plenty of things on ebay. steer clear of ones which say they came off cheap knock off guitars, you want ones that either came off good quality guitars or are new. i got some wilkinson tuners for about 15 pounds or so. they do a great job.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Also, worth noting if youre a total guitar noob, that some tuners will come as sets of inline 6's, or 3 a side. Basically refers to the layout on the headstock - something like a strat has 6 in a line, Les Paul types will have 3 a side.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Thanks for the suggestions. This guitar has 6 in-line, so I guess I'll go that route. Can I basically get any 6 in-line tuners? Or, do I have to find a specific kind that matches this guitar?

I'd hate to buy something and then find out they're the "wrong kind."

Steve
dude, you don't want new tuners for your piece of crap guitar, especially grovers. the tuners will cost more than your guitar is worth. stop being a cheap-ass and buy your son a squier strat ($150)
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
dude, you don't want new tuners for your piece of crap guitar, especially grovers. the tuners will cost more than your guitar is worth. stop being a cheap-ass and buy your son a squier strat ($150)

An excellent idea. So excellent, in fact, that I already did that.

So, he has 2 guitars, the Squier Strat and the Stagg G-Force. He'd like to get the G-Force functional again, but as you mentioned, the guitar is a piece of crap, so I really don't plan on paying $70 for a set of Grovers or an even more expensive set of Schallers.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out a way I can get the Stagg working again for cheap (yeah, cheap), because he doesn't NEED it fixed, but he'd LIKE it fixed, because to a 12-year old, the flying V with the exhaust pipes is WAYYY cooler than the Squier Strat. I know, no accounting for taste and all that.

Steve
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/WD-Music-Tuners-6-In-Line?sku=360164

cheapest set of tuners I could find. They aren't anything fancy schmancy, but if you just want some cheap tuners just to get the ol' axe back together, then these should work well.

Obviously, you can install the whole set or just the one; but it's pretty easy just to do. You just need a screwdriver. If you have any doubts about doing it yourself, you can try going to a music shop and a guitar tech. could do it.

Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!