-------------
-------------
-------------

which picking style is the fastest for this riff:
a) up, down, down, down
b) up, up, down, down
c) down, down, down, down

or is there an even better way?
depends on how fast really...whatever is comfortable should be best. I'd go (a) but it really depends on speed and comfort...
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
I would go down, up , down, down
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
the riff i posted is somehow a part of the solo of "valley of the damned" by dragonforce (3:24), i guess this context would have been helpful to answer my question. the speed of the original is probably unreproducable, but i'd really like to get closer to it. the legato part is imo easier to play fast, i can't seem to gain speed at the picking part

T                       T                       T                       T           T
|-20-19p15----------[B]15[/B]h19-20-19p15----------15h19-20-19p15----------15h19-22-19p15h19-22---|
|----------[B]17[/B]----[B]17[/B]----------------17----17----------------17----17------------------------|
|-------------[B]16[/B]----------------------16----------------------16---------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Quote by totycro
the riff i posted is somehow a part of the solo of "valley of the damned" by dragonforce (3:24), i guess this context would have been helpful to answer my question. the speed of the original is probably unreproducable, but i'd really like to get closer to it. the legato part is imo easier to play fast, i can't seem to gain speed at the picking part

T                       T                       T                       T           T
|-20-19p15----------[B]15[/B]h19-20-19p15----------15h19-20-19p15----------15h19-22-19p15h19-22---|
|----------[B]17[/B]----[B]17[/B]----------------17----17----------------17----17------------------------|
|-------------[B]16[/B]----------------------16----------------------16---------------------------|

in that case, its a sweep. Which means you go up and down, in a fast fluid motion.
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.
down, up, down, down is what I would use for that pattern. up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start is what I'd use for metal riffs.
Down, Up, Down, Down
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gyroscope
Down, Up, Down, Down

+1, either that or use pure alternate picking if you want.

@totycro: That looks to me like it's supposed to be sweep picked.