This has probably been asked before, but...

Im abit of a noob when it comes to reading guitar notation. I was wondering, how exactly do you know where abouts on the fretboard you are supposed to be playing?

Thanks
i just always look ahead a couple notes just to see if i can improve what im doing.
Quote by bambi_slaughter

what sound does a baby make when you put it in a blender?
i dunno, i was to busy masturba ting.

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
if my guitar had a pussy, i would never leave my room
building on top of what metallic soul said, look and find the position where you can get the closest proximity to all the notes in the phrase, other than that it doesnt really matter much where you play it unless you want to stay away from bad intonation spots
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
One other thing I was wondering about...

What does it mean when this is above the notation..

8va - - - - - - - - - ?

Thanks
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
One other thing I was wondering about...

What does it mean when this is above the notation..

8va - - - - - - - - - ?

Thanks

It means to play an octave higher. 15ma means 2 octaves higher. 8vb means an octave below, and 15mb means 2 octaves below. loco means to revert to the original octave.
8va - usually means play it an octave lower. Yeah, and what mosh_face said. you're scales are usually what you use to figure out which position will give you the best advantage for what you want/need to playing/sounding. hope it helps
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination