Page 1 of 2
I have been a guitar player for many years. But you see the same posts all the time. . It took me a lot of years to get the tone I was looking for. Thought it would be a good time for the more experienced players to discuss what trials and errors they went thru to help out all the newer players.

My first thing I have learned is start with a good guitar a crappy one makes you struggle with everything you try to do. It actually will take the fun away from playing or practicing. This goes for acoustic or electric.

I got lucky my first amp was an old ampeg reverb rocket all us old guys know they are a great amp for the blues and Rock and roll.

I started with multi effect stuff which gave me a good idea of what effects I liked and would be complimentary to what I play. Then I moved on to single stomp stuff.

And the last thing I have to say is. Don,t try so hard to emulate some famous artists sound so much. Most professional musicians may use the amp or guitar that you have but they are tricked out or upgraded in some way. Get close thats about all you can do.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
*applause*

here here

When i was working in a music shop not so long ago, i had no problem recommending decent guitars and multi FX. you want those first golden years to be fun and an exciting discovery.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Thanks
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
nah, buy a bass. much more satisfying

nah, srsly. i award you 4 s out of 5

_
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
You bass players. Gotta love em where would the pocket be without them?
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
i agree with what you've said, and I'd also add not to cheap out on the amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

+ a million.
for me the biggest thing in helping to find the tone i wanted was part listening to my favorite players, and part playing every guitar and amp i could find to figure out what was BEST FOR ME. that is the most important thing.
i fancy myself an intermediate player so here's my 2 cents-

Listen to advice. Take it into account. But always go with your gut...try things out. You may like the amp or guitar or pedal other people dislike, and you'll never know till you try it.

and when you try it out, try it for a long time.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by Ht666
+ a million.

the amount of people playing a prs through a cheap £50 solid state starter-pack practice amp is criminal. the worst thing is they don't seem to think it matters because they're playing at home. They somehow think you don't need an expensive amp and that it's a waste if you only play at home; which is a false economy. News flash: that £2000 PRS is wasted if you only play it through a starter pack amp, too.

needless to say, i fell into that trap too at the start (not as bad as a prs, but certainly a more expensive guitar than amp). most new guitarists do. we just need to tell as many of them as possible how wrong it is.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Didn't you post this exact same thread only with a different title earlier today?
Regardless of that though, good thread. I think another problem is people who start going to guitar lessons aren't getting taught the basics very well. My sister has recently started taking lessons once a week for like half an hour or an hour or so. Now of course you don't expect miracles in that space of time but she's been doing it for a good 3 or 4 months now and the guy hasn't even showed her how to hold her pick properly or any basic chords. I'm finding myself doing the job that this guy is paid to do. Now this may be an isolated incident but I doubt that, the problem is it's in her school and they have to pay for the whole year up front. I think they are purposely holding back with lessons so they then have to pay for another year and I wouldn't be suprised if there are more cases of this.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Good post man.

I'd like to add, like someone else said, listen to advice. If you're going to come onto a forum and ask what to buy, TAKE IT INTO CONSIDERATION, if you're just going to say no to everything that's recommended, why even bother to come on here?

I started off playing a Peavey Strat copy, I agree, it does help to start with a cool guitar that you like, at the beginning, it's not really who has the best amp, it's who has the coolest looking guitar. I really didn't like the strat look and was never really driven to play, as soon as I got my Ibanez SZ, that changed and I always wanted to play.

The amp is an important part to your sound, yes, but I don't think that if you're first starting out, it matters much at all to the player, they can't tell the difference between a $200 amp and $2000 amp, though it's always good to get the best for your money. Learn to shop around! Go to smaller stores unlike Guitar Center that will tell you to buy a certain amp because they earn a paycheck on commission. Go somewhere that's going to spend time walking around the store with you and help you pick out the best you can get.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Good post man.
Dunno if that was to me but if it was then
Quote by MatrixClaw

I'd like to add, like someone else said, listen to advice. If you're going to come onto a forum and ask what to buy, TAKE IT INTO CONSIDERATION, if you're just going to say no to everything that's recommended, why even bother to come on here?

Had this problem the other day with someone that didn't want to hear that his MG needed replacing instead of the pickups in his guitar. I promptly told him that we at this forum are not like the toothy salesman at the local music shop, we don't get paid to recommend certain things and we are instead taking some of our own time to help YOU the complete stranger, whom we have never met, out of the goodness of our hearts. We have the option of not saying anything at all, but instead we choose to try and help even though most of us have something else we could be doing.
Something along them lines anyway, that is what the guy in my sig was talking about.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by Dave_Mc

who tha fuk are you to tell these kids anything?

my advice is get off the computer and go practice.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I think this is a punch in the face to all of us... don't spend time on forums asking about amps and guitars and actually practice for once! hahahaha (no offense to anyone here)
Quote by colin617
Learn to play before spending $10,000 on gear.

I have to disagree with you on this one.

First off, some people just have a lot of money. If you're rolling around in a $200k Maserati, who is to tell you you can't buy nice gear?

Some people are great at playing simpler things and enjoy it. Who's to tell them they can't buy a $3000 strat, $2000 PRS with a $2000 handwired marshall head and $1000 mills acoustics 4x12 etc...because they don't shred.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Thanks for all the input.Great stuff/ Keep it.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Add that if youre thinking of purchasing gear be sure to search the threads here or make your own thread before you buy it. Also, pickup changes through a solid state/crappy amp are useless.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Try out absolutly all of you options before buying anything. Don't just take peoples word on gear, use it only as guidelines. Try before you buy.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I'll proceed to dispell any mojo which newbs fall to:

Signature gear will not, and will NEVER make you sound like your favorite artist
True Bypass is NOT always a good thing
Tubescreamers are only useable as a boost
50/100W amps. Trust me unless you gig a stadium, 20W of valve power is going to be enough, and even too much, 90% of the time...
Full stacks, for the same reason above

The things that matter most on a guitar (in order of importance to tone):
Woods
Pickups
Hardware

Upgrade your amp BEFORE your guitar. Trust me on this one. Great guitar through crap amp is still going to sound crap. Cheap guitar through great amp will be a lot better.

If you play in your bedroom, a valve amp is probably not the best choice.

Do NOT, EVER, scoop your mids. Just don't.

Gain: you think you need a lot, but you don't. Presence is more important. Play with less gain than you think you need, especially in a multi guitar setup

Bass: your bass will fly out the window in a band setting. Let the bassist do his job and don't try to drown his frequencies

I'll think of other stuff.
Last edited by Pott at Mar 9, 2008,
^Pott, why 'Tubescreamers', exactly?

Anyway good posts all. Though mot of us learned to play through crappy 10W amps, there's no longer any reason to; there's been a huge reduction in the cost of quality tube amps - to the extent that you can now buy a gig-quality all tube 2x12 combo for under £200! The success of the Epiphone Valve Junior has encouraged other manufacturers to put more effort back into high-quality practice amps, and good on them. Same goes for guitars to some extent though we've had good quality budget axes for a while now.

Let's hope we'll see a lot more people sticking with guitar, now they don't have to be frustated by crap starter gear...
The actual gain you get when turning up the drive pot on a tubescreamer is nothing like a valve. It's pretty cold, nasal and somewhat shrill sounding. Keep the gain down, level up, and your sound will tighten up and gain in power. I for one prefer flat EQ boosts, but the TS do have its uses... without its own gain 99% of players out there do not use any gain with the TS for these very reasons. It's a boost/OD pedal, not a standalone drive sound basically.

By the way all the stuff I mentioned is common sense, not really experience.

EDIT: Not saying the TS is a bad OD, if people like it fair enough. But every thread about distortion or overdrive has a TS as a suggestion even if the description of the product needed is totally different. The TS is a very special sound which will not please anyone!
Last edited by Pott at Mar 9, 2008,
I made a previously mentioned mistake of buying the cheapest amp available,thinking that I need just something audiable.That was probably my biggest mistake.And to all those who are still thinking about which guitar to buy,don't fall on cool looks,like RR or Flying V,cause they are NOT as comfortable (while sitting down) as some strat or explorer shaped guitar.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Dave_Mc

the amount of people playing a prs through a cheap £50 solid state starter-pack practice amp is criminal. the worst thing is they don't seem to think it matters because they're playing at home. They somehow think you don't need an expensive amp and that it's a waste if you only play at home; which is a false economy. News flash: that £2000 PRS is wasted if you only play it through a starter pack amp, too.

needless to say, i fell into that trap too at the start (not as bad as a prs, but certainly a more expensive guitar than amp). most new guitarists do. we just need to tell as many of them as possible how wrong it is.

+1

I did the same thing with my Iommi (not that great, I know), but I normally play it through an MG (aka ****amp). I tried it out on my friends tube stack, and was pleastently surprised at my guitar being able to actually produce tones that didn't sound like dying animals.

On topic: DO NOT get suckered into buying an MG or a Spider- your tone will suck so much it will kill itself.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
lucky for me, I had a good start because of my brothers.

I started off with the Yamaha 121 or what ever thru a Peavey bandit. That amp with the features helped me somewhat define my tone and what was needed in future amps. Then I went tube straight away after coming on to UG for a few months with the help of alot of guys!

Havent gone back since. Gone thru a good few good amps, gone thru a few confusing set ups (The mesa/boogie rack set up) and gone thru some bad set ups. But I now know what I want with my tone and Im gonna try and achieve it this summer.

Good thread btw and +11231343 to alot that has been said!

Quote by jj1565

That would be the best advice of the whole thread.

Now, if I could just follow it myself...
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
nah, buy a bass. much more satisfying

nah, srsly. i award you 4 s out of 5

_

+1
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by mr_hankey
That would be the best advice of the whole thread.

Now, if I could just follow it myself...

+1
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by jj1565

Because I don't think someone should have to burn thru a bunch of money buying,selling different pieces of equipment to get an adequate sound.What a concept a chance to actually learn something.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
go research (from this great site ) and try... buy before you try.. what do you want, what are your influences, what sound are you after... my first guitar was a red american stratocaster, new in 1984... wish I still had it, along with a vox ac15...

How i wish i could predict the future.. there you go.. still a few guitars and amps, and a few years later says... get what makes you happy with what you are looking for..
I had a lot of great guitars and amps in my 40+ years of playing... I cry when I think of the ones I sold. Don't sell a GOOD amp or GUITAR - keep em' cause someday you'll wish you still had em.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
That should be a new thread. Things you kick yourself in the ass for,for selling.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
You don't need expensive equipment to sound good. You need practice and experience. A cheap electric is easier to play than a cheap acoustic. But whatever you get make sure it's set up properly.
Quote by jj1565

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jj1565

I already practiced fast full-step vibrato so much today, that I can only type with my right hand!

One thing I'd like to add is that so many people here keep saying go after your own tone, which is great if you can find a great, quality tone that doesn't sound like anyone else, but unless you're using crazy sh!T like Dragonforce or something, you're likely not going to achieve a TRULY original tone. What makes the greatest artists sound like they do is their skills. That being said, I LOVE playing w/ my EVH brown sound through my complicated setup, because it's simply my favorite tone. Most songs I play, I just adapt the brown sound to it & play. Roll off the guitar volume, lose some echo/reverb etc, but the basic tone kills for punch & dynamics at every level. (I only use the flange/phase if I'm actually playing VH songs). There's nothing wrong with trying to copy another tone IMO, esp for noobs. There's a reason some tones are legendary-because they sound supremely killer. There's no reason to NOT want tone like that.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
agreed, riffhog. you hear a lot of people saying "the tone in my head". most of those, in my case, were originally off someone else's record.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Megallica Dude
I made a previously mentioned mistake of buying the cheapest amp available,thinking that I need just something audiable.That was probably my biggest mistake.And to all those who are still thinking about which guitar to buy,don't fall on cool looks,like RR or Flying V,cause they are NOT as comfortable (while sitting down) as some strat or explorer shaped guitar.

I disagree, the moment I got a V my playing severely improved, I find them to be far more comfortable and they're the only guitar shape I can play whilst standing up and not have it sound like ass.

Someone mentioned the MG being awful, I also disagree with that, it's not great when you use it alone... But add some pedals in the mix and you can get some really nice tones out of it - personally I use a metal muff and an MG (on clean with all settings on 5 other than FX) and I love my tone!

My addition to this thread would have to be: get whatever guitar feels good to you, whether it's £100 or £1000 MAKE SURE IT FEELS GOOD!
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by MatrixClaw

I'm, like, the complete opposite of that.
I take EVERYONE's advice, even ****ty ones.
And once I read something from a forum, i believe it.
This led me to some ****.

Quote by jj1565

+10000000000000000

The past few days, I've been researching the **** outta the internet looking for my new gear, that I spent more time on the comp then actually playing...
Thank god I practiced a lot today

On topic:
When researching something, only trust it if many ppl has suggested it.
If only 1 person says its good, it's probably not the best (most of the time).
Page 1 of 2