Hey. I have a kind of weird problem and I was hoping someone could give me a little advice. I bought a used "green line" overdrive pedal from a reputable guitar shop that I have bought things from before. I tried it out in the store and it played fine. When I took it home and hooked it up to my amp, it started playing the radio! It kind of gets two stations at once, and it couldn't have picked two worse stations to pick up: the opera channel and some channel that that mostly broadcasts overzealous Christian preachers taking calls from women thinking about getting abortions or something. Anyway, it's really obnoxious and I the only way I can get it to stop is by turning the pedal off. I took it back and told them about my problem, but they said there was probably an exposed wire somewhere it was just picking up frequencies because I live near a radio tower and that I should try playing in the basement. Well, playing in the basement didn't help and I want to be able to play in my room, anyway. Is there something I can do about this? Should I try to open it up and cover up this wire with tinfoil or something to keep it from picking up the frequencies? Please let me know if you ever had this problem and what you did about it. Thanks.
Tried the search bar did you? Sorry to be an ass, but this has been asked a LOT of times before and I don't remember any good answers from the top of my head.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
OD/distortion pedals work by boosting the signal right?

your guitar produces electric current from your strings, for your amp to amplify and turn into sound

the electricity from your pickups is called a sine wave, as its a nice smooth wave of current

strangely enough, the a/c wiring in your house is a sine wave too.

if you cut the 'ground' wire off your guitar, itll buzz like crazy, cuz its amplifying the biggest source of a signal it can find. which is the radio waves produced by the wiring.

so

your amp amplifys anything it can get its hands on. be it the current from your pickups, the a/c wiring in your house, or...it can also amplify radio waves. as they are in a sine format. and a dist/boost pedal simply amplifies this, so you can actually audibly hear the interference

AS physics ftw!
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
OD/distortion pedals work by boosting the signal right?

your guitar produces electric current from your strings, for your amp to amplify and turn into sound

the electricity from your pickups is called a sine wave, as its a nice smooth wave of current

strangely enough, the a/c wiring in your house is a sine wave too.

if you cut the 'ground' wire off your guitar, itll buzz like crazy, cuz its amplifying the biggest source of a signal it can find. which is the radio waves produced by the wiring.

so

your amp amplifys anything it can get its hands on. be it the current from your pickups, the a/c wiring in your house, or...it can also amplify radio waves. as they are in a sine format. and a dist/boost pedal simply amplifies this, so you can actually audibly hear the interference

AS physics ftw!

Okay. Thanks. Do you know if there's anything I can do about it, though?
Well, make sure your guitar is properly grounded

the other thing i can think of is if there is an inductor in the pedal maybe?

Post some pics of the innards if you can, seeing as from what you've said it doesn't seem liek ti happened before you had the pedal....

oh, and to stevo_epi_SG_wo - "AS physics ftw!" Yeah, definately dude!
Adam