hey everyone.

i play a mim strat into a fender hot rod deluxe. im very happy with this setup as i mainly play blues/rock, blues, and jazz. so, along with that i have a craybaby (soon to be modded) and a homemade tubescreamer. with these i get pretty much every sound i ever need. except one, a really good heavy sound. When i say heavy i dont mean metal or anything, just a guns n roses type heavy. when i use my tubescreamer and a les paul i can the sound im looking for. However, when i play live, i let the rythm player use my les paul (haha, and my vintage bassman, haha i just realized his whole rig is mine) so i was thinking maybe buying a seymour duncan hot rails for the bridge position in my strat. I dont want a full humbucker because i want to easily switch it out for my regular single coil for when im doing my blues gigs. Do these things really sound good? ive never had the opportunity to play one and dont think i will, i will be ordering it offline. ive heard it some on youtube, but crappy recordings dont really tell me anything. so i guess im looking for everyones opinions. also, im pretty much open to any suggestions anyone has. thank you all so much.
i'm not much fussed on hotrails... they sound more like a (noiseless) hot single than a humbucker.

if you're going to switch them round a lot, you could always just get two pickguards... one HSS to accommodate a full-size humbucker, and your current one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think a hot rails would be too trebly and scratchy.

i'd use a full bodied guitar and HB. try a series/parallel mod to your strat?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
(to davemc) i thought about that too, that just seemed like more work. but i might have to look into that. thanks alot.
does any recommend hot rails?
im not necassarily looking for a humbucker sound, just a bett slighly higher gain sound than a true single gives oyu
it might do that then. though it's really pretty hot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
is it less nasally than a regular single coil? is there a better alternative for a single coil sized pickup?
your strat is routed for HSS.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
The only thing about the HSS is the balance issue, unless you can find a very low output pickup the bridge is always going to overpower your single coils.

One of the lower output rail pickups might work though, I would check out Dimarzios site and look at the comparison charts of output and find one thats in the mid-low output range, that way it'll mix with your 2 singles and it won't be overpowering and you'll still have the thickness from a bucker.
I have a Dimarzio Fast Track II and a Dimarzio Chopper in the neck and middle positions respectively on my Ibanez. I think they sound great, although I can't compare them to the Hot Rails since I've never played them. What I can tell you is that the neck position for me gets almost as distorted as the bridge, which is a L500XL. The FTII is definitely high output.

Well that's my input anyway.
I've tried a few Strats with Hot Rails in them and honestly wasn't too impressed. They're alright, but nothing to write home about.

I was in the same position as you really. I wanted to change my strat so it'd accomodate for heavier stuff as well as blues and everything in between. I ended up going with a full set of DiMarzios (Tone Zone S, HS-2 and YJM). I love every one of the pickups, each brings its own unique sound into my rig. The Tone Zone S can easily handle lots of gain. I also opted to use a push/pull pot on my volume to coil split the TZ, all three of them sound really nice clean as well, however, I personally like the middle/bridge position best (with the TZ split) for some reason, it's just really chimey and kinda has a funk sound to it, really cool.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
if i were you though, and was trying to seek some kind of "classic humbucker tone" i'd just save for a mahogany bodied guitar with a humbucker. imo, i dont really like the sound of humbuckers in alder, it just sounds too chimey.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.

im full of HRs. i like stacked dimarzios better. sound more full, less treble, noiseless.

HRs arent full sized humbuckers and arent singles. they sound like really hot singles.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

im full of HRs. i like stacked dimarzios better. sound more full, less treble, noiseless.

HRs arent full sized humbuckers and arent singles. they sound like really hot singles.

i guess i look up some others.
basically though, im just asking, do hot rails (or cool rails) sound less nasally with a medium amount of gain than a normal single coil.
also, what are suggestions to get the best sound for mediums gain out of a SINGLE COIL SIZED PICKUP.
dimarzio virtual vintage heavy blues, Stack pickup

looks like a regular single coil, but is actually two singles stacked one on top of each other.

and yes the HRs sounds kind of whiney.

that middle pup is a V V hb. the one in the neck is a YMalm stacked.

i would look for a stacked dimarzio for bridge spot. check out sound clips.

edit: buy the way, i love that strat. probably more than my MIA. it's a great hot sounding guitar. but i almost never use the bridge. i like the bridge/middle, middle, and middle/neck the most.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 8, 2008,
should i look for something thats a little darker to more replicate the sound of my les paul?
Nice choice on the neck pickup jen

The yjm combo of Hs-3 bridge and YJM in the neck kicks ass, especially with alot of gain you still get that great clarity and retains the strat tone.
the YM in the neck is pretty dark actually.

but to replicate an LP, id always pick full sized HB.

and thanks^ i really like dimarzios now. i used to be the biggest duncan fan"boy" but i see the error of my ways.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yeah its not a bright pickup but the low output character of it makes it incredible for leads with some gain in front of it.
i wish i knew someone who had an alder guitar with one of these pickups so i could just try it out. haha. this is so hard when you dont know what its gonna sound like.
im leaning toward a JB Jr now. but i really dont know.
^^oh yeah, dont get me wrong, i like it. it's an incredible contrast to the others.

my main problem with my SCN pups in my MIA is the lack of variety. even with the S-1 options.

^ go for it if you want. but i had a JB humbucker in my schecter. another high treble pup.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I had a deluxe players strat with vintage noiseless pups in it for one day. I played it for about 5 hours straight and I ended up taking it back. Something about the neck I know it's 12" radius which is fine.. but ahh it felt cheap for some reason and the pups where muffled sounding.
yeah, i dont like vintage noiseless either. no idea why they are so popular. no chacacter at all.

and i love the heft of my MIAs neck, But, there's something about my old 95' MIM strat, it's just easy to play.

sorry for the off topic TS. feel free to jump in with questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i would just use another guitar or maybe even a full humbucker, but im probably only gonna be using this for like one song, two at the most. maybe ill just cruise ebay and whenever i find one of the aforementioned pickups, any of them, for an unbeatable price, i will just get that. if i like it, great, if not, well hopefully it wouldnt have been a waste of too much money. besides, your box of random guitar pieces can never be too full, am i right?
haha, i've got a few of those.

keep in mind, we all have different favorites, so try as many as you can find, pick the one that's best for you.

make sure, set up the pickup. lift one side closer to the strings to emphasize those strings, lower another, and in the case of some humbuckers, adjust the pole peices too.

also, some pickups sound better in different spots, so if you are handy with the soldering iron, that;s another option.

lastly, adding a toggle or a push pull pot to 4-wire pups, adds additional tones and might help you find your ideal.

good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok good luck and good night guys
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by chea_man
is it less nasally than a regular single coil? is there a better alternative for a single coil sized pickup?

do single coils sound nasally? i'd have thought humbuckers sounded more nasal than most singles I've tried. could be wrong though, and obviously "nasally" is probably subjective.

Quote by Silky Smooth
The only thing about the HSS is the balance issue, unless you can find a very low output pickup the bridge is always going to overpower your single coils.

One of the lower output rail pickups might work though, I would check out Dimarzios site and look at the comparison charts of output and find one thats in the mid-low output range, that way it'll mix with your 2 singles and it won't be overpowering and you'll still have the thickness from a bucker.

i disagree... that thickness comes from the wide-spacing of the polepieces on a humbucker, which you just don't have with a rail-type pickup. the balance is a good point, but a hot rail-type pickup would over-power the other pickups too... and if you go with a lower output one it's probably just going to sound like a (noiseless) single coil...

i'd just listen to jenny to be honest... i haven't much experience with rail-type pickups, other than the couple i've tried (which i haven't really liked). I haven't tried dimarzio noiseless singles, though- they're allegedly nicer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so youd be switching it out like crazy?
you might just wanna go ahead and get some cheaper les paul copy, like an agile or something.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by Dave_Mc
do single coils sound nasally? i'd have thought humbuckers sounded more nasal than most singles I've tried. could be wrong though, and obviously "nasally" is probably subjective.

i disagree... that thickness comes from the wide-spacing of the polepieces on a humbucker, which you just don't have with a rail-type pickup. the balance is a good point, but a hot rail-type pickup would over-power the other pickups too... and if you go with a lower output one it's probably just going to sound like a (noiseless) single coil...

i'd just listen to jenny to be honest... i haven't much experience with rail-type pickups, other than the couple i've tried (which i haven't really liked). I haven't tried dimarzio noiseless singles, though- they're allegedly nicer.

Yeah you'll never get the same tone as a big humbucker but some of the less harsh and lower output rail pups sound pretty damn close.