Page 1 of 2
what are your guys opinions on the epiphone sg g400? Is it a worthwhile buy?
Do a search - tons of info on them.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
The G400 was my first electric guitar.

It's decent for the price but there are better guitars in the price range (and cheaper).

What is your current gear situation and what music do you want to play?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I have a Ibanez sa160qm and I'm looking to play kind of audioslave, ac/dc , blues ad maybe a bit of metal.
Quote by sharene
I have a Ibanez sa160qm and I'm looking to play kind of audioslave, ac/dc , blues ad maybe a bit of metal.

Your current guitar is better.

I would just save up for a new amp.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
oh right, I'm just kind of bored of my guitar What amp do you recommend, I thought mine was ok
if u ask me...if u like it...go for the iommi signature. real nice. i just got mine a few months ago. i like the iommibuckers. all black hardware, cross inlays, 24 frets, grover tuners, its real nice. just the fingerprints are a little annoying.
I love g400 and in my opinion if you can get a sale, get it down to 250 or 280 it is the best in its price range.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I had a g400 but have just sold it (Epi Sheraton II FTW ) anyway, after a good setup it played really well and the humbuckers werent that weak.

With the right setting on my AD50VT, it sounded pretty good for the price and had lasted me a good few years. hope it helps
Its Getting Better All The Time
I can get one for £180 pounds so that leaves me about 100 for pickups
I'm pretty sure I've seen G-400's for more like £150. Shop around a bit more first.

but certainly for what you want, a G-400 + a pickup upgrade would be great. Play the stock SG first, work out how you want the pickups to sound differently, then look at what pickups you can get with the money left over.
do you know where you saw it for that price bukuho? The best I can find is GAK.

Also I really like the look of the prs se series especially the eg in antique white, but then of course I wouldnt be able to afford to upgrade the pickups.
Quite good for the price, but the painted neck's a deal breaker for me. You may like the feel though.
My opinion on the G400 (and all SG) is that it's neck-heavy and I hate the painted neck. I don't like it at all, but try it and see if you like it and don't listen to me.
don't know if this is hijacking the thread but need o ask a question?

if i bought a G-400 vintage (http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-g-400/6953) = link

what type of pickups should i replace the old ones with??
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
Quote by HomerSGR
My opinion on the G400 (and all SG) is that it's neck-heavy and I hate the painted neck. I don't like it at all, but try it and see if you like it and don't listen to me.

True, but some people like those things
I'm sorry if this seems noobish, but what exactly to you mean by neck heavy? does it tilt down or something? Does the painted neck make it less smooth?

I mean I'm gonna go try it out before I buy one but ive limited my choice to 3:

1 g400
2. gibson faded , obviously this is like double the price if I buy online from the US , but I won't do any upgrades
3. Prs Se
Unless your spending alot of money on an Epi... I don't think they are worth it. For the SG style, go for ESP.

Much better IMO
Only the pickups. and a 18v mod.

She roars

You see these modles on eBay once in a wile in blue or gold but I think the blue is ugly, I picked it up on here tho.
Last edited by strings-N-stuff at Mar 9, 2008,
I just got final question, what exactly is the difference between the g400 and the g400 vintage/ faded, in the uk I can get the vintage for only £10 more.
I think they have the neck problem.

Only ones I've played that don't have neck problem is the custom shop modles, except for the gothic line.

I'd try it before you buy it to make shure, but you wont regret it.
you think regular g400 or just the vintage have neck problems?. I would like to try before I buy but at the same time they are much cheaper online
Check out the new prophecy range, they look sweet! And if your playing metal they will suit, especialy if you get the EMG one.

Link Here

Theres the GX and the EX
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by strings-N-stuff
Only the pickups. and a 18v mod.

She roars

You see these modles on eBay once in a wile in blue or gold but I think the blue is ugly, I picked it up on here tho.

What is an 18v mod exactly? Does it make the guitar give a stronger signal? Or does it effect the pots?

Anyways, any mods that I can make my SG better with is great.
Last edited by RockDJ at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by strings-N-stuff
Changes your tone a bit. Makes your batterie last longer.

Linkage

Oh, I wired Duncans onto mine >_>

But I will keep that in mind if I ever get a 'metal' guitar.
Page 1 of 2