Alright, so I'm a junior in high school right now. I've got a couple options. One, go to a university and major/minor in something. Two, go to a specialized college (probably Berklee).

Now, I've already visited about 4 universities and talked to their music departments, etc. In the music business you want to be as young and as skilled as possible, so that drags me towards going to Berklee first. The only thing that myths me is if I can't make it with music, I'm left with nothing to fall back on. Whereas if I went to college and then Berklee, I at least have a degree in something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to take the advice too seriously but I just want to know what you guys think. For my age, I guess I'm doing okay. So far, I've played almost 50 live shows, I've been teaching at Protege Music Academy for about 5 months, I've taken several AP Music Theory classes, and I've passed the AP exam in Music Theory.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
Alright, so I'm a junior in high school right now. I've got a couple options. One, go to a university and major/minor in something. Two, go to a specialized college (probably Berklee).

Now, I've already visited about 4 universities and talked to their music departments, etc. In the music business you want to be as young and as skilled as possible, so that drags me towards going to Berklee first. The only thing that myths me is if I can't make it with music, I'm left with nothing to fall back on. Whereas if I went to college and then Berklee, I at least have a degree in something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to take the advice too seriously but I just want to know what you guys think. For my age, I guess I'm doing okay. So far, I've played almost 50 live shows, I've been teaching at Protege Music Academy for about 5 months, I've taken several AP Music Theory classes, and I've passed the AP exam in Music Theory.

Basically Berklee is where you go when your already pretty ****ing good at music, and they will help become a MASTER at it.

If you arn't already really damn good go somewhere else first, practice more, then when your ready go to Berklee.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Basically Berklee is where you go when your already pretty ****ing good at music, and they will help become a MASTER at it.

If you arn't already really damn good go somewhere else first, practice more, then when your ready go to Berklee.

Yeah I hear you. A guy I know who is there now cried after the first semester because it was so hard.

But yeah, I'm not trying to boast or anything but I think I'm pretty good.
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
Yeah I hear you. A guy I know who is there now cried after the first semester because it was so hard.

But yeah, I'm not trying to boast or anything but I think I'm pretty good.

You're not ready.

If you only THINK your pretty good then go somewhere else first.

If you KNOW your pretty good then your ready for Berklee.

Not trying to be a dick, just saying what I think is in best intrest for you.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
You're not ready.

If you only THINK your pretty good then go somewhere else first.

If you KNOW your pretty good then your ready for Berklee.

Not trying to be a dick, just saying what I think is in best intrest for you.

Well, personally it doesn't matter what you know. You could know that you're awesome and then fail to please the applications council. I try and be humble and let other people make their own judgments about me.
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
The only thing that myths me is if I can't make it with music, I'm left with nothing to fall back on. Whereas if I went to college and then Berklee, I at least have a degree in something.

Heres what I plan to do (im just a year ahead of you, so i know what ya mean). I want to go to somewhere and do something in music, but I also have an interest in engineering. So what I plan on is Majoring in engineering at a university and then minoring in music(yea, I know it will be a lot of work, but I have a lot of motivation) so that way I can really improve and expand my musical knowledge. I'll most likely get a job doin something in engineering afterwords, but if I ever feel the need, I can use the credentials I have in music to help me too(like teach lessons at a store or sumthin) and it will no doubt improve my playing skills.

So maybe you want to look at minoring in music?your decision though, not mine

Quote by jasonmetal love
I try and be humble and let other people make their own judgments about me.

That is an awesome attitude to have!!!!
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Last edited by bigwilly at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by jasonmetal love
Well, personally it doesn't matter what you know. You could know that you're awesome and then fail to please the applications council. I try and be humble and let other people make their own judgments about me.

Well confidence is part of the audition.

There is a difference in watching someone play with confidence and someone who plays without confidence.
Well what exactly do you want to do in music? Really dude I say just go for it. Screw back up plans, failure shouldn't be an option. You have so much to gain by just going balls to the wall for what you truly want to do in life.
We're only strays.
Quote by jasonmetal love

I think if your gonna study music, you should have been taking lessons for years, theory, and techniques for w/e instrument your going to audition with, and have written some pieces. Unless your Van Halen, if you haven't done this maybe music shouldn't be your major.
Quote by bigwilly
Heres what I plan to do (im just a year ahead of you, so i know what ya mean). I want to go to somewhere and do something in music, but I also have an interest in engineering. So what I plan on is Majoring in engineering at a university and then minoring in music(yea, I know it will be a lot of work, but I have a lot of motivation) so that way I can really improve and expand my musical knowledge. I'll most likely get a job doin something in engineering afterwords, but if I ever feel the need, I can use the credentials I have in music to help me too(like teach lessons at a store or sumthin) and it will no doubt improve my playing skills.

So maybe you want to look at minoring in music?your decision though, not mine

If I was to go to a university first, I would be majoring in music and minoring in business. So, even if Berklee escapes me, I still have a chance in the field
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Well confidence is part of the audition.

There is a difference in watching someone play with confidence and someone who plays without confidence.

Being humble doesn't mean you've crucified your confidence.
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by metaldud536
I think if your gonna study music, you should have been taking lessons for years, theory, and techniques for w/e instrument your going to audition with, and have written some pieces. Unless your Van Halen, if you haven't done this maybe music shouldn't be your major.

I've been playing for 7 years. Been taking private lessons for about 5-6. I have composed my own music on an actual staff, using four part SATB. Actually, to pass Music Theory AP I had to compose an 80 measure SATB + Piano piece.
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
I've been playing for 7 years. Been taking private lessons for about 5-6. I have composed my own music on an actual staff, using four part SATB. Actually, to pass Music Theory AP I had to compose an 80 measure SATB + Piano piece.

Yea I'm an idiot, I didnt read your first post. Dude go for it, you sound more than qualified for this stuff.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Well what exactly do you want to do in music? Really dude I say just go for it. Screw back up plans, failure shouldn't be an option. You have so much to gain by just going balls to the wall for what you truly want to do in life.

I know this sounds cliche, but I really wouldn't mind touring around the world and playing Jazz/Flamenco. I also wouldn't mind working in a studio/producing/mixing/composing/directing/teaching/back up. I'm not going to go into it without a backup plan though, while it may sound inspirational, it could also screw you're life up.
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love

True, but that's what it felt like you were implying.

Quote by jasonmetal love

Sounds like your pretty close then if not already ready.
Quote by jasonmetal love

+1
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by jasonmetal love
I know this sounds cliche, but I really wouldn't mind touring around the world and playing Jazz/Flamenco. I also wouldn't mind working in a studio/producing/mixing/composing/directing/teaching/back up. I'm not going to go into it without a backup plan though, while it may sound inspirational, it could also screw you're life up.

Its not just inspirational. You're going to run into some hard times if you're pursuing a career in music. Its inescapable. But its not going to leave you with nothing, you're always going to have ground to gain.
We're only strays.
Don't go to Berklee, big waste of money. Go to a real University that also has a decent music program. Most good ones do, so it shouldn't be hard to find. Think about what you want to do with music. You don't get a B.A. in Guitar. Have a real subject Major and a minor in music, both being related to what you want to do in the future.

Owning and running a studio would be cool, wouldn't it? Being some type of music producer would be cool, right? If you're going to bother with a college degree, which I recommend you do, major in something that's not just musical, but will help you incorporate it.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
First of all DO YOU HAVE THE MONEY FOR BERKLEE?

i got in a few years ago, but I didnt have the money, my family didnt have the money, and I wasnt takin out a student loan that friggin big
go to uni and get a major/minor, a diploma in music isnt going to get you moneys get something worth it and not something gay like art.
Quote by E Daws
Don't go to Berklee, big waste of money. Go to a real University that also has a decent music program. Most good ones do, so it shouldn't be hard to find. Think about what you want to do with music. You don't get a B.A. in Guitar. Have a real subject Major and a minor in music, both being related to what you want to do in the future.

Owning and running a studio would be cool, wouldn't it? Being some type of music producer would be cool, right? If you're going to bother with a college degree, which I recommend you do, major in something that's not just musical, but will help you incorporate it.

As good as Berklee is, going there just doesn't make sense financially. You'll be spending tens of thousands of dollars a year for a degree that's mostly useless in the real world.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I am in the same kinda situation, I was thinking about music, but i do not know now. I am taking lessons though and learning theory, it is pretty easy and my guitar teacher has helped other students of his into Berklee, it is my "dream school" I have a decent chance of getting in but I do not know what I want to do.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Here's what I'd do...as a music major, there aren't many options for a career, there is teaching it and performing it, and those to jobs are basically it and open to every music person in the world. I'd suggest majoring in either something you are interested in with a minor in music, or major in like music recording/audio engineering. You can always play guitar and such around the college campus which is a great experience.
"They say rock n' roll is dead well not while I'm alive it ain't" - Liam Gallagher

"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors." - Oscar Wilde