Page 1 of 3
Have you guys played this thing? Goddamn. My 6505=1200 bucks. Damn 600 dollar amp ****ing blows the thing away. Kinda pisses me off in a way. The thing looks sturdy and good quality. Even though I got a 6505... I played one... and bought it. Along with a schecter exotic c-1. Honestly its killing the 6505 by a long shot. I didn't expect that at all. I tried out the 6262 before I bought also. Which is like the 6505 and did sound pretty much just like it. But I'm about sick of that 5150 tone. Plus the 333xl had tons more gain than the 6262 which also suprised me. And a much better clean channel. I'm sold on el34's now. man those those things sound warm. Anyone else got one?
Man, sounds like I need to try one of these out. I thought it was supposed to be like a JSX?

EL-34s are pretty sweet, I'm gonna put 2 6L6s and 2 EL-34s in my Mark IV when I retube it

And I know what you mean about being sick of the 5150 sound. I thought it was great when I got mine but I completely changed my mind a few months later.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah i hear it's like the jsx.... Thats what the dealer told me anyway. Yeah, the only tube amps ive ever owned have been a 5150 and a 6505.... and people are always talking about tube is better and its got this warm tone and all this. And I was always kinda like... only difference in my 5150 and my old line 6 is it'll go louder without being muddy. And the line 6's gain sounded better at that. But then I played this thing. Expecting it to just be another toy I was gonna buy to mess with. I figured 600 bucks what the hell. And now its my main amp and not my back up. I mean it totally slays the 6505. I'm going to record some sound clips tomorrow. Check this out.... I get saturated gain... I mean so much gain its to much.... at 9 o clock on the gain knob. Thats right. 9 o clock. To get around the same amount of gain on my 6505 is around 8 on the knob... which is around 4 or 5 o clock. Plus it sounds extremly tight. My 5150 never had a tight sound. And it sounds much warmer than the 5150. Its of course just as loud as the 5150... 120 watt all tube. I'm not sure if it's the el34's or what it is but it's a huge difference.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
+1 for sounds clips, I'm suddenly very interested in this amp.

+2
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by paranormal5150
yeah i hear it's like the jsx.... Thats what the dealer told me anyway. Yeah, the only tube amps ive ever owned have been a 5150 and a 6505.... and people are always talking about tube is better and its got this warm tone and all this. And I was always kinda like... only difference in my 5150 and my old line 6 is it'll go louder without being muddy. And the line 6's gain sounded better at that. But then I played this thing. Expecting it to just be another toy I was gonna buy to mess with. I figured 600 bucks what the hell. And now its my main amp and not my back up. I mean it totally slays the 6505. I'm going to record some sound clips tomorrow. Check this out.... I get saturated gain... I mean so much gain its to much.... at 9 o clock on the gain knob. Thats right. 9 o clock. To get around the same amount of gain on my 6505 is around 8 on the knob... which is around 4 or 5 o clock. Plus it sounds extremly tight. My 5150 never had a tight sound. And it sounds much warmer than the 5150. Its of course just as loud as the 5150... 120 watt all tube. I'm not sure if it's the el34's or what it is but it's a huge difference.

Nice man, I'm totally gonna go see where they sell these around me cause for $600 I might just buy it for the hell of it.

I love the sound of the JSX though, so either way I'm sure I'll like it. The JSX has a lot of gain too, not quite as much as you say the 333xl has though, but I don't know why people say it can't do metal. It definitely is more of a warm sound, which is what I like and made me sell my 5150, because of its harsh sounding tones, plus (imo) it was a pretty muddy amp unless you EQ'd it just right.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
well the thing is.... i had to use my bad monkey tube overdrive with my 6505 to get the saturated gain that I like. With this amp. No way. It'd be way to much. Don't need no type of tube screamer. The 333XL has these XL buttons on it. And when you push them it kinda gives it a deeper boost. It also has 2 boost knobs on the back that are also used as a control for the FX loop. Like I said it has that saturated gain that you usually have to have an overdrive pedal to get. It also already sounds so ****ing tight you'd never need an eq or overdrive pedal to tighten it up. The noise gate on it.... Well it doesn't do much. But it does help slighty. I use the rocktron hush pedal with it. Let me just say too... the clean channel is amazing. I mean it really does sound like a fender clean. And of course the 6505 was nowhere near that. But yeah this thing will do way more metal than the 5150. Way more gain. Way tighter. The low end is just insane. I've never heard that much low end from an amp. You can feel it in your chest. And you know how that 5150 has that loose tone? And it hurts your ears? But not because its not... just because its screaching sounding. This one isnt like that. It seems like its even louder than the 5150 and the tone sounds so tight and smooth. It really sounds like the kinda tone you hear on a recording. Usually amps up front don't sound as good as the recorded tones. Like the 5150's sound good on the recordings but up front its totally different. It took me a while to set the controls because I set them at first like I set my 5150. I thought you know it'd have to be around 4 or 5 o clock to get the gain i wanted. And it was way to much so i went down... and down... and down... and finally got there. Plus it has a volume knob for each 3 channels. It comes with a footswitch to switch the 3 channels and also you can turn the fx loop on and off with it. The channels are really versitle. The lead channel is only metal though. I mean even with the gain almost all the way down its a lot of gain. It has a damn damn good reverb on it. I figured the reverb would be crap but the reverb sounds really nice. Also its already biased for 6l6's. It has a switch on it. you can switch the switch to el34's and install them or 6l6's and switch the switch to those. So you dont have to pay for a mod to be able to use 6l6's if you want. But I imagine you won't put 6l6's in it. Because the amp sounds so perfect I wouldn't wanna change it. The presence knob is very versitle too. With my 5150 I needed my presence to be on 8 to get what I wanted. With this amp I keep the presence around 4 or 5. So it has a lot. I can't go on enough about the low knob. I've never had low end like that before. I can't believe it's 600 bucks. I used to play drums in a band with a dude that had a triple rec mesa.... and I was always impressed with that. Much more than the 5150 and this amp really sounds just as good as the mesa. So bottom line... i went in expecting to get a new toy to mess with. came out with the amp ill be doing all of my recordings with and gigs. Also check out my band and my 5150 tone at myspace.com/childrenofthesunmetal we have an instrumental song on there. If you like the tone on that song wait until you hear this 333.
TS, go to a guitar store and play a JSX so we can get comparisons!
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
well thats what i thought was 333... xxx... but the dealer said no. That it was more like the JSX and killed the xxx in tone. I can't say firsthand because I haven't played a jsx or xxx. The only tube amps I have played are the mesa triple rec, 5150, 6505, krankenstein, and slo-100. You'd think the 5150 would have an easier time keeping up with the more expensive amps like mesa and solando... but the 600 dollar amp def could hang with them much easier than the 5150. Also I think im gonna get a better noise gate. Anyone here got an ISP or Ns-2? Is the ISP worth the extra cash? those pickups in that schecter are really hot. More feedback than my emg.
Quote by paranormal5150
well thats what i thought was 333... xxx... but the dealer said no. That it was more like the JSX and killed the xxx in tone. I can't say firsthand because I haven't played a jsx or xxx. The only tube amps I have played are the mesa triple rec, 5150, 6505, krankenstein, and slo-100. You'd think the 5150 would have an easier time keeping up with the more expensive amps like mesa and solando... but the 600 dollar amp def could hang with them much easier than the 5150. Also I think im gonna get a better noise gate. Anyone here got an ISP or Ns-2? Is the ISP worth the extra cash? those pickups in that schecter are really hot. More feedback than my emg.

Well, I preferred the 6505+ over the XXX, although it did leads/hot-rodded British tone nicely. The reason why I didn't go for a JSX instead is because I couldn't get it to sound br00tal enough. Maybe I just suck at EQing.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I was already thinking of sending my 6262 back for something a bit more versatile. Great amp, but sort of a 1-trick pony (its a helluva trick, though).Maybe...
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Last edited by stigma15 at Mar 8, 2008,
yeah the 333 was way more versitle when i played the 6262. The noise gate isnt that great. I mean not if you use the kinda gain i use. But it does do some justice. The amp has more gain than the 6262 but it doesn't seem as noisy even without the noise gate turned on. basically because its like a 5150 and the 5150 is just noisy. From the soundclips i just looked up of the xxx and youtube videos id prefer the 6505 over it too. This amp really dont sound like anything i heard there.
Glad you like it. I will probably trade up. Let me know if you figure out how to register for the warranty.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
I'm going to buy one of these now because it seems like it will be just what I'm looking for.
Gear:
Ibanez RG321 SD Blackout

6505 combo

Custom Superstrat
I'm such a traditionalist hahaha. I will have to hear them for myself to believe it. I still lean toward those godamned JCM800s and Rectoverbs but we'll see what I'm thinking when I hear one of these. Reliability, long-term, and name all figure in sometimes.
How is this for bedroom levels? 120 Watts of tube seems like a hell of a lot.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
How is this for bedroom levels? 120 Watts of tube seems like a hell of a lot.

You answered your own question.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
you can pull 2 of the tubes and make it 60 watts which is still really loud but more managable for bedroom levels. my 6505 sounded like crap bedroom level.... but the thing with this amp is it has so much preamp gain that even with the volume down low.. which is your power amp... you can still get killer tones. and thats with all 4 tubes in. Ive been playing mine at low volume today after practice and all i had to do was crank the gain up a bit . And when I play with the band I crank the gain down because i get the power tube gain when i turn up the volume. That really to me seems like why they put all of that gain. Because it would be impossible to use even half of that at loud volumes. Its the same thats in the combo so they thought of it. I think you can get a 60 watt version in combo im not sure. Id go for that in the bedroom.
How are the mid and lower gain settings on it, mate? Great cleans and great screaming high gain is sweet, but there's a lot of ground to cover between those two points.
So, if I understand this correctly, this would be a better metal amp than the 6262? When I say metal, I don't mean death, black, hardcore, metalcore or any of that other ****. I mostly just mean very thick heavy distortion, such as Ill Nino and Rammstein, but I also want very good clean tones, like Opeth. Would this amp do that for me?
The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.

Quote by Toniofalcon
I'd prefer to be the only guitarist in a band. I love rhythm and I like leads, why not do both? Plus I want all of the attention because I am a huge faggot.
Quote by paranormal5150
well the thing is.... i had to use my bad monkey tube overdrive with my 6505 to get the saturated gain that I like. With this amp. No way. It'd be way to much. Don't need no type of tube screamer. The 333XL has these XL buttons on it. And when you push them it kinda gives it a deeper boost. It also has 2 boost knobs on the back that are also used as a control for the FX loop. Like I said it has that saturated gain that you usually have to have an overdrive pedal to get. It also already sounds so ****ing tight you'd never need an eq or overdrive pedal to tighten it up. The noise gate on it.... Well it doesn't do much. But it does help slighty. I use the rocktron hush pedal with it. Let me just say too... the clean channel is amazing. I mean it really does sound like a fender clean. And of course the 6505 was nowhere near that. But yeah this thing will do way more metal than the 5150. Way more gain. Way tighter. The low end is just insane. I've never heard that much low end from an amp. You can feel it in your chest. And you know how that 5150 has that loose tone? And it hurts your ears? But not because its not... just because its screaching sounding. This one isnt like that. It seems like its even louder than the 5150 and the tone sounds so tight and smooth. It really sounds like the kinda tone you hear on a recording. Usually amps up front don't sound as good as the recorded tones. Like the 5150's sound good on the recordings but up front its totally different. It took me a while to set the controls because I set them at first like I set my 5150. I thought you know it'd have to be around 4 or 5 o clock to get the gain i wanted. And it was way to much so i went down... and down... and down... and finally got there. Plus it has a volume knob for each 3 channels. It comes with a footswitch to switch the 3 channels and also you can turn the fx loop on and off with it. The channels are really versitle. The lead channel is only metal though. I mean even with the gain almost all the way down its a lot of gain. It has a damn damn good reverb on it. I figured the reverb would be crap but the reverb sounds really nice. Also its already biased for 6l6's. It has a switch on it. you can switch the switch to el34's and install them or 6l6's and switch the switch to those. So you dont have to pay for a mod to be able to use 6l6's if you want. But I imagine you won't put 6l6's in it. Because the amp sounds so perfect I wouldn't wanna change it. The presence knob is very versitle too. With my 5150 I needed my presence to be on 8 to get what I wanted. With this amp I keep the presence around 4 or 5. So it has a lot. I can't go on enough about the low knob. I've never had low end like that before. I can't believe it's 600 bucks. I used to play drums in a band with a dude that had a triple rec mesa.... and I was always impressed with that. Much more than the 5150 and this amp really sounds just as good as the mesa. So bottom line... i went in expecting to get a new toy to mess with. came out with the amp ill be doing all of my recordings with and gigs. Also check out my band and my 5150 tone at myspace.com/childrenofthesunmetal we have an instrumental song on there. If you like the tone on that song wait until you hear this 333.

WALL OF TEXT=BAD FOR ME EYES
I find my 6262 does a nice 80s tone with upped presence and mid with reverb on the lead channel; maybe i should mess with the crunch more?

Its metal(core-ish) tone is basically what its made for.

I tried out a 333xl, yet it was more expensive, the store didnt have the combo version, and the other guitarist in my band recommended the 6262 for the type of music we play.

But is it seriously a one trick thing?
On the rhythm channel you get good lower gain and classic rock tones. I've only had the amp a day and I'm mostly a metal player so I haven't really messed with that much yet. But before I bought the amp this old black guy was in there playing the blues on it and it sounded really good. He seemed like he knew his stuff well too. The clean channel can be dirty too. You can have that clear fender like clean or make it sound more bluesy and distorted. Like I said the crunch and lead channels have the xl boost switch which makes this amp's tone sound much deeper and scream more than the regular 333. I'd honestly say this amp is a better metal amp. Its only like 50 dollars more expensive than the 6262. I went in there with the intentions of getting the 6262 because of what I heard. Like most people I too thought it'd be better for what I play. But no. Especially for stuff like opeth. Because like I said you got that low end heavy distortion and still get the saturated gain. Where as on the 5150... you get the gain like that and you lose your low end. I'm about to take some pics and soundclips as we speak.
Last edited by paranormal5150 at Mar 9, 2008,
I was thinking about getting a 6505+ over the summer, but now i might swing towards bugera.. Hmm..
from what ive read its just how much the sound is dampened. Mine doesn't have that switch. The 333xl doesn't have it. Only the 333.
The only thing that worries me about getting a 6505+ is the dark sound. It mightent be something I would stick to in the long run.

is the 333xl as dark?
I just bought the 333 in the 2x12 combo form, and oh crap!!! This thing just blew me away when I tried it!!!

The combo has the 6L6 power tubes as opposed to the EL34's in the XL, which I didn't seem to care for. The speakers in the combo are 70 watts which got a little squishy in the lead mode with high gain, but I had other plans........

I plugged that combo into my 4x12 cab with 100 watt speakers and that was that....done deal. The cleans were awesome and I spent most of my time on the crunch channel....the gain alone on it was enough to satisfy me. But i still had to try the lead channel....

I never took the gain past 25%. All the drop D stuff was just killer, and riffing old skool Metallica and Megadeth was such a pleasure. All of my guitars have Duncan JB pickups in them 'cept my Les Paul which has a Distortion (which is also my drop D guitar...go figure). And the sound...tight, responsive, and just....well...insane.

$650 for the combo...not a budget breaker and the "sound" my ears have been looking for for years. Finally I can gig with a smile on my face all night.

Oh yeah, I use the POD XT Live as an effects unit only (no amp modeling...no frickin' way) with this thing and it works well beyond my expectations as the effects loop has volume controls for the send and return...a much appreciated feature.

You could say "Why not just swap out the tubes in the XL head?" Yeah I could, but I wanted portability...I can take the combo down and use it alone for practice instead of lugging a head & cab around. This is it...the amp for me. Worth checking out for sure. Don't turn your nose up at it until you've tried it....you may be surprised.
Last edited by fretboarddragon at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by GoDrex
Can someone explain what the "damping" switch on the 333 does exactly?

If its anything like the one on my XXX then what it does is dampen the speaker cone vibration. So if you have lots of dampening the speaker cone won't move as much and the bass will be tighter. And if you want the bass response looser then you set it so it doesn't damp as much. Very useful.
Page 1 of 3