This is a recording that I made of a song I wrote. It is all me, because I used layer recording. This is the equipment I used...

--The worst computer with the worst sound card you could ever find (like a $30 dell desktop)

--A guitar effects pedal

--Yamaha DTXpress II Electric drum set (FOR SALE - PM ME)

--and Mixcraft 3

This is seriously all I used, and its pretty good quality for that eh? Here is the link. Just listen to the song "Your Eyes and Me". I'm pretty sure its the only one on there.
http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/kiniferus/
The drums come in at about 00:53, and the electric guitar solo comes in at about 1:46.

What do ya think?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") = 100% Awesome

A good friend will help you up when you fall.
A best friend will just laugh and trip you again.
damn good quality!!
Ibanez RGA 121 w/ SD SH-6b & SH-2n Jazz
Ibanez RGA 121
Epiphone G-400 w/ EMG 81&60A
Fender Stratocaster Original 1978 Sunburst
Alvarez Acoustic DY-85

Fender G-Dec 8" 15W

VOX AD120VT 2*12" 120W

KORG AX1500G
The drums go out of time at certain points. but it's an alright sound i suppose.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by Footzyrama
The drums go out of time at certain points. but it's an alright sound i suppose.

Ya I know, thats because I was layer recording, and I was doing it in a hurry.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") = 100% Awesome

I would say the drums could use some compression but other then that not bad for being a first recording.

I really would recoming a line 6 tone port they are cheap and it makes a great interface/processor
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by woodsballplayer
what are you using to plug your pedals into your pc?

Haha, you'll never guess. I was so amazed with the quality it produced. This is what I did...

I got a cable off ebay, that has the male headphone jack on each side (like this one...http://cgi.ebay.com/NORDOST-MINI-TO-MINI-CABLE-FOR-HEADPHONE-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ290211571724QQihZ019QQcategoryZ32833QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). Then I plugged one end into the headphones jack in my pedal, and plugged the other end into the speaker input on my computer, lol. then I just setup mixcraft to record what was coming through there, and It worked!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") = 100% Awesome

I was using a Korg Toneworks AX1500G
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") = 100% Awesome

Surprising, given the gear list. Mind you, the drums would have been samples triggered by midi, right? At that point, the quality is not up to your gear as much as it is the quality of your sample library and the quality of programming. (by programming, I could mean point-and-click or by playing them live with the triggers and editing later.)

Did you go midi into the computer and trigger samples from a sample library in some software, or were the samples triggered at the module, and then an audio out from the module into the computer?

Good direct guitar sounds overall.

Suggestion.... do the drums first, and either do them to a click and/or edit them in a software sequencer to fix any timing errors. Playing over that on guitar should be a breeze.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
What do you mean? I just did the same thing with the drums as I did with the guitars. I just outputed the cable from the headphone jack of the drum control box to my computers speaker input.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") = 100% Awesome

The fact is, going with pro audio and spending $1000s of dollars will give you about 10-15% improvement in sound, which is often lost in MP3 compression or hearing the song through less than stellar speakers. Also, a big part of sound is in the arrangement and your playing.

With your "crap hardware" you have about 65% of professional sound, assuming you played identically. With mastering software like Ozone, you can add that little bit of polish that'll really separate and clear up the track.

And I second going off the click track. It'll help improve your sound 2x.
Ya I didn't master this song. Thanks for that software, that should really help.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") = 100% Awesome

It's hard to go wrong with a recording that contains only sampled drums and two guitars.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
ok thanks
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") = 100% Awesome

Quote by Muphin
It's hard to go wrong with a recording that contains only sampled drums and two guitars.

True enough... especially given that everything was direct. Once you get into miking, it is a whole other ballgame, but my first 'direct' recordings were still crap.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Hey if you know what you're doing, you can get perfectly good quality from the most basic of equipment.

Check out some of the recordings of my old band.
They were completely recorded at home and sound pretty descent...
www.myspace.com/slavestateunderground

And then for the solo project i'm working on, i'm gonna be recording everything at home and producing it myself to a really high quality.