Hello everybody, my friend wants to buy a new bass. Right now he has a really bottom of the barrel ibanez bass. The genres he plays are Blues, Classic rock, Punk, and Hard Rock (like Guns N Roses type stuff). He has 600 dollars to spend and we are heading up to Guitar Center tomorrow morning. He has been looking at this bass... http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Deluxe-P-Bass-Special-4-String-Bass-515201-i1148626.gc

Is there any more that are better for the price?

Thanks
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Boss Ds-1 Distortion Pedal
Heritage VIP 1(would like to sell)
That is a very good choice.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Thanks both of you. Anyone else with any more suggestions?
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Boss Ds-1 Distortion Pedal
Heritage VIP 1(would like to sell)
Quote by smb
Yup...the Fender Dlx Active P is a great bass.

i agree!
he should also check out the Fender Jazz offerings. like the Jazz 24. imo Fender dominates the $600 range. it's the top of their "B" list, and the bottom of their "A" list. there are some nice basses in this range.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SR500-Soundgear-4-String-Bass-515055-i1148507.gc

This is a great option as well.
It's a nice, versatile bass, so he could use it for the genres he plays.
He should, however, try it first, I can imagine thant the thin neck isn't something everyone likes.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
i'd suggest getting the jazz bass deluxe with active pickups instead. it's a little more versatile for the styles he wants to play.
How come no one's asked about his amp?

imo (ok, this is a pretty widespread opinion, but still) a Good amp will help his tone WAY better than a good bass. A Good Bass through Bad amp won't sound all that great, but a Bad Bass through a good amp could sound way better. Unless there is something wrong with the playability of his ibanez, i would say try a new amp.

What kind of amp does he have? is it any good?
Quote by PeepingNinja
You could haggle the guy and get a jaguar bass for under 700....

yeah if you grab it and run
Man, you get things for so cheap in the US, it sucks here in the UK. Anyway, I'd go for the Deluxe bass that you posted, for the price it is a very good bass.

That'd be about £300 right? We get them for around £420 in the UK
signature