My band tried to record today.
1st we couldn't get the built-in input to work.
We ran our instruments through my Traynor YCV40WR then through the adaptor into the Macbook. That didn't work and we checked everything.
Then when we finally quit and went to use the internal mic it wouldn't work. The mic wasn't picking up anything.
Help!?
everyone else has said I can
and I've recorded straight through the mc before and it's sounded fine.
My Mac quit doing everything sound related period. Doesn't play music or anything.
My recordings were done thru my iMac's line in to Logic Studio but I've never had a problem with Garageband...
Good Ultimate-Guitar deals:
s.r.v. / Soapboxhero / dbrettw / laxduck / O00Coolzero00O / 1mmpick

Good Harmony-Central deals:

Quicksilver 689 / antiochband / KjStrat / Critter / guillatool1

Good SevenString.org deals:

Guitarmiester / TMM
You might want to have your MacBook looked at up at the Apple Store... Don't forget to make an appointment though...

Guitarmiester / TMM
You need a proper USB interface, for garage band, and a MIDI controller (optional). I'm taking a music and media class on garage band right now and having the controller and interface makes it much easier.
What output did you use on the amp?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by freshtunes
You need a proper USB interface, for garage band, and a MIDI controller (optional). I'm taking a music and media class on garage band right now and having the controller and interface makes it much easier.

You DO NOT need a USB interface for garageband. That is optional...

I have a sh*ty V-Amp that I plug into the computer. But when I get to use a Combo I use the simulated line out. If you don't have that on your combo then just use the headphone jack and turn down the line in volume in your Mac's system preferences.

I was an Apple Creative for a year and a half. Teaching people how to use Garageband and Logic Pro. Just so you know it's reliable info.

Guitarmiester / TMM
USB interfaces aren't required, I've recorded some decent stuff using the headphone out from a practice amp, BUT, I think considering an interface is a big improvement for quality. I've been checking out/saving up for this firewire interface http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet.php
It even allows for simultaneous multitrack recording into garageband, logic, and protools. But its pretty pricey.
Quote by lp_soldier200
USB interfaces aren't required, I've recorded some decent stuff using the headphone out from a practice amp, BUT, I think considering an interface is a big improvement for quality. I've been checking out/saving up for this firewire interface http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet.php
It even allows for simultaneous multitrack recording into garageband, logic, and protools. But its pretty pricey.

iMac's Audio Input:

From iMac's Audio Midi Setup:
44100.0 Hz 2ch-16bit to 96000.0 Hz 2ch-24bit

Apogee Duet's Audio Inputs:
Two channels of professional-quality 24-bit/96kHz audio input and output
-From http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet.php?section=specs

Sorry to ask but...

Where is this improvement in quality?

Granted you do get more input types with the interface but for a computer all you need is an adapter... Which is way cheaper than the interface. If you are doing "studio" style recordings you will be recording one instrument at a time. The only disadvantage to the computer input is when you have drums you won't be able to get each mic as a separate audio track.

Don't get me wrong though. I think audio interfaces are great! But only when you need to record drums with multiple mics and/or "performance" style recordings.

Guitarmiester / TMM
Last edited by creativlogic at Mar 12, 2008,
Sounds like your computers screwed up. Follow creativlogic's advice & get it looked at, especially if it's still under warranty & you haven't poured Coke all over it.
Quote by creativlogic
Where is this improvement in quality?

It's in the A/D converters. Typically consumer grade sound cards are cheap. They are manufactured to fit into budgets and hit price points and are not built with a recording artist in mind.

A budget sound card can play music all day and sound great as long as it's in a digital format (ie, CD, .wav, .mp3). But when it has to convert that analog signal before it can read it, it chokes.

If you listen you can hear the difference.

On the flip side of that there are people on this board that have gotten good results using their stock sound card. Also from what I understand on the Mac platform the sound cards a a little higher end, but still suffer the same corner cutting, just to a lesser extent.

On topic, it sounds like you may have a driver problem or fried your sound card. First thing reinstall the drivers for the sound card. If that don't work take to the Apple store and have a tech look at it.

Also did you use the line out on your amp? or the speaker out?

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic