Ok, i need some help here to get 4 solo pieces (with maybe basic and simple accompaniment) but i've been having trouble getting songs to pass at excellence level, because i know i can. Im doing Level One NCEA (for those of you who dont know what that is its like New Zealand qualifications) in music. The pieces need to be contrasting, and i play both electric and acoustic guitar. Below is the list of rules and specifications that it needs to reach for the level I am aiming at. If you llok, its not that hard, but it is to find 4 perfect yet contrasting songs.

1. Perform contrasting pieces of music as a featured soloist in front of an audience.
2. If performs as part of duo or small group then mustbe easily seen and heard and has a separate identifyable part.
3. Performance should demonstrate evidence of technique,accuracy, musicianship and presentation.
4. May choose to have an accompanist but accompanist is not assessed.
5. Approximately Three minutes in duration.

To Achieve at Excellence level:

Electric Guitar:
Generally More fluent and faster.
More Complex Chords, (jazz chords, 9ths and 11ths)
Open stings in high-up chords
Runs- in with the chords (chord and lead sound together)
Slurs and slides in with chords.
Syncopations and Funk.
Fingerpicking; Tonal variations, syncopation, lead figures in between fingerpicking.
Vibrato
Combinations- a number of techniques all on one pick
Whole tone bends
barre chords without hesitation.

I can play at this level, its just finding a good song to suit, im open to anything, and i also sing. My vocal range is average low, but i can sing high when abso lutely needed.

Help a girl out and give me some ideas, all is greatly appreciated.
My vocal range is average low, but i can sing high when abso lutely needed.

i don't really get how that's possible. I would recommend putting in intricate classical music
thanks, but what i maent by that was that i dont like the sound of my head voice to go higher, so i dont sing high, or avoid it. you know any decent tabs for your suggestion?
By contrasting, do you mean each songs need to all sound like different from the others.
find a satch song, maybe satch boogie.
For the love of god by vai
And cliffs of dover, if you know how to do hybrid picking.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by MasticateWenis'
THANKYOU! first decent recommendation!

you're welcome
Maybe sea of lies by symphony x? that solo is EPIC.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Stevie Ray Vaughan-Lenny
something classical
maybe scrapple from the apple by charlie parker
^JAZZ SONG, LOTS OF GOOD CHORDS IN IT
Last edited by chea_man at Mar 8, 2008,
you could try tender surrender by steve vai, the intro can be played with fingers, and then the solo parts could be picked.. as for things like 9ths etc that could be quite difficult as i dont know any jazz im no help here :P
Quote by kool98769
you're welcome
Maybe sea of lies by symphony x? that solo is EPIC.

Would you be able to get me a copy of those songs? msg them or whatever i dont have them and im not allowed to download

-Chloe
Quote by chea_man
Stevie Ray Vaughan-Lenny
something classical
maybe scrapple from the apple by charlie parker
^JAZZ SONG, LOTS OF GOOD CHORDS IN IT

I thought of that, but its really slow, and really only has the two chords throughout the whole song. Although if you did a live version, the improvisation that stevie does is AMAZING.

Check your messages man.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Mar 8, 2008,
Play Caprice 5 by Paganini at twice peed to start you off...

Some Meshuggah-esque galloping to segue you into I Cum Blood by Cannibal Corpse...

Then a touching rendition of Lick My Love Pump by Spinal Tap to round it all out.

If the evaluator does not get up and suck you off on the spot after you manage that, then you picked the wrong school.