Do you have the transistor pinout correct? Is the diode in the right way?

The 9v snap shouldn't be a problem as long as you have the right polarity. Red to circuit board, black to input jack.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
If you have a multimeter, check the voltages on the transistors.

Make sure the emitter voltage is 0, and make sure that the collector is higher than the base.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
^just to add to that because the TS might not know how to do it...

Set your DMM to DC voltage and put the black probe on ground and use the red one to touch sh it.
I know how to use a multimeter, I just don't have one yet. probly need to get one though. Would an audio probe a la aron nelson work?
No i don't think so. You need to know voltages. A DMM is key for debugging.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
OK, at risk of sounding like the bigest moron on planet earth, I must confess; the problem was a dead battery and the pedal works fine. Omly one problem, the output is very low, as in volume at ten is quiter than when bypassed. Do I need smaller caps?
that is a fairly simplistic design, something is fubared if it don't atleast have unity gain, that diode can't drop that much of the signal, i'd say it has to be the transistor is garbled up.
Buy another transistor and put it in...
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SVStee
Ok, I built this and when I plugged it in I could hear the guitar in the background, but it was mostly hiss.

Congratulations, you've just built a line 6 spider into a pedal LOL
I have more trasisters, but I know I have it oriented. If the caps are too big, wouldn't that cut down on volume?
er no not really, the input/output/coupling caps shouldn't have an overly huge influance over voltage output, only frequency response...... you might have a very crappy sounding unit, but there should be more output availible with it engaged than not..... the soul purpose of an amplifier is to amplify..... if it's not amplifing it's broken lol, get a multimeter and check your voltages on each leg of the transistor, in theory the emiter should be more positive hopefully.... in the feedback loop instead of a resistor on that device there is a single diode, if the diode is backward you are going to be saturating the transistor and it isn't going to function...... anyway you cut it you need to know the voltages at the C,B,E in order to do any real troubleshooting.