Hey guys, I'm just wondering whats a good way to extend your range? I play trumpet in band and I'm a freshman.

I've never really taken band seriously until my first year of highschool because it's that awesome now, but my range right now is comfortably a G, right above the staff . How can I extend this?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I don't even play trumpet properly and I can hit that . My band teacher says that daily lip slurs really help with range. There's no quick and easy method, you just have to do your lip slurs and long tones.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Wayward_Son
I don't even play trumpet properly and I can hit that . My band teacher says that daily lip slurs really help with range. There's no quick and easy method, you just have to do your lip slurs and long tones.

Heh yeah, I play that G, easily.. It's wierd, I finger 1 and 2 for A and my embouchure fails and just air comes out lol.

How long of long tones? :P
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

As long as your air lasts I guess.
Would you do it?

Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I play the trombone (I know, that's weird because I'm a chick. Stfu.) and I'm not comfortable with my range either. I think practice is the best thing for you, though. Just get out your trumpet and play it as high has you can as often as you can.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Lip slurs on your overtones.

What are overtones?

Open notes.
Would you do it?

Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I slur on C G C E and on E I slur to G and I can't get to C ;\..

Not necessarily. See, when you hold down a combination of valves, all the notes that you can play with that combination are overtones. The most common ones are the open ones.
i play trombone, what i did was i just practiced every day. but you have to practice right. practice makes permanent, not perfect. try making your air column narrower, and blow faster, not harder. try different things, like slurs, longtones, octave jumps, etc. also, warm-up on your mouthpiece before using your horn. breathe low, from your diaphragm, dont take a shallow breath, and keep that low support. just actively focus on that everyday, you'll get better. it'll take a long time though.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by Mr. Nasty
Try this.

I did, 20 Minute long tones are .. ahh..

Just practice. Try to practice several times a day for shorter periods of time rather than playing all at once. I destroy my chops after playing for just around 10-15 minutes or so. I never did any lip slurs or anything and I can now play 3 octaves of the note D on my trumpet.

Also, you can buy a shallower mouthpiece (i use a 3C) that will help out a bit.
Do the little siren thing with your mouth piece. That's what my teacher told me to do back when I use to play trumpet.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about. You just use your mouth piece, and go up and down over and over.
Dude, its all about air support. dont think about your lips because then they'll just get really tense and will die quickly, if you know what i mean, use fast cold air and concentrate it at your lips, its 90 percent air support, trust me i had that same problem .
also, practice going up half steps, itll be harder if your trying to go from go to A, go G sharp, then A, do this forr all of the notes above A as well.
I refuse to put anything that masturbates my ego in my sig.
Last edited by Wheelchair Stan at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by tr3nt
Heh yeah, I play that G, easily.. It's wierd, I finger 1 and 2 for A and my embouchure fails and just air comes out lol.

How long of long tones? :P

It's fun to read this and pretend embouchure means something else. Such as organs.
D:
Signature.
what kind of mouthpiece do you have? shallower lead mouthpieces will increase you range. air support is big. also, long tones will increase your intonation, so you will sound better up there. Best way is practice the high parts. they will start comign