I ask this because I have a good inspiration on writing something, and quite honestly, I have some ideas on how to write it, but it feels like no matter how I put it, it all feels the same and cheesy...

Is there anything I can do to keep it from sounding so.....familiar?

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place, I'm new to these forums.
Write it as cheesy as it comes, but try to keep it some how personal to you. Then you can give it some spirit.
Work on it for some more time.
Quote by Tazeyo
Write it as cheesy as it comes, but try to keep it some how personal to you. Then you can give it some spirit.
Work on it for some more time.
Yeah, that's a bit problematic though. Often, if there's something I don't like at all, I normally scrap the entire thing because I think it's rubbish.

Guess I need some restraint....
try writing songs from different points of view than you usually do (first person, third person, etc.). try coming up with creative metaphors that havnt been used before. also, try writing in different styles or rhyme schemes than you usually do, and also ones that arent very common in love songs. hope that helped
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Quote by phobiafreak949
try writing songs from different points of view than you usually do (first person, third person, etc.). try coming up with creative metaphors that havnt been used before. also, try writing in different styles or rhyme schemes than you usually do, and also ones that arent very common in love songs. hope that helped
I actually attempted to something in third person, but never really made an attempt at it. It did 'tickle my fancy' if you would.
try maybe not ( if you are i dont know ) saying "i love you" more than once that could get annoying. try almost describing the person as though from a 3rd person or outer perspective, and then state how this person makes you feel. remember it doesnt have to be slow and sappy my curse by killswitch engage is a love song, but its pretty intense. or like slipknot's vermillion, has kind of a morbid feel but is also a love song. just because its a love song doesnt mean it has to sound a certain way, as long as that way is ok for you
Quote by LD_Luke D
try maybe not ( if you are i dont know ) saying "i love you" more than once that could get annoying. try almost describing the person as though from a 3rd person or outer perspective, and then state how this person makes you feel. remember it doesnt have to be slow and sappy my curse by killswitch engage is a love song, but its pretty intense. or like slipknot's vermillion, has kind of a morbid feel but is also a love song. just because its a love song doesnt mean it has to sound a certain way, as long as that way is ok for you
Good point. I've made it a rule to not blatently say something like 'I love you' or 'I wish I had you'. Seems to cheesy, unless I were to write something that made the listener aware I was trying to do that....yeah, I confuse myself, guess that's why I scrap a lot of stuff.
You can also maybe try something else like giving the whole idea a different perspective. Not like 3rd person(thats already mentioned) but like try thinking totally different about the whole thing. Like write a story about something totally different and let the 'love' just seep through into the lyrics. its really hard to explain exactly what I mean. Write a story about something else and at the end (or chorus) say something like 'that is how i feel' or 'our love is like that' or yeah i hape you get the point
Ferocious mumbles
I agree with Some other guy, the love should flow through the story. Tell the reader about that time you and your girl went to the nightclub and she almsot died of an ecstasy overdose, or how about that time you and her went to the Pyramids of Egypt. Wait, you didn't do those things? Well, in your poetry, you could make up events. I like to combine actually real life experiences with fabrications of my imaginations when choosing events to decribe in my songs. Also I think some irony can help. For example, "Your so kind and full of mercy/I love the way you never forgive me." Maybe not the best writing, but I hope you get the idea. Also, I like to think of my lover as some one who transcends human limitations. For example, I'll think of them as being my guardian angel who knows all the secrets of the universe or as being a stray dog or as being a demon. That might be kind of weird, but it really does help me out. Anyways, I hope my advice helps.
Yes.

Yes they can. Just don't be so scared to write them for fear of backlash.

Screw restraint of different styles or whatever.

Grow some balls, and write how you like and about what you like.

Oh, and listen to Joseph above. He's one of th ebets songwriters online.
If you make them abstract they aren't always cheesy.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Try writing somting that only alludes to love... Lots of metaphores see if you can hide it and try to make it so that someone would have to listen to it real carefully to realise its about love. Everlong by foo fighters is a good example. Hope i helped
I find that love songs are only easy to write when they're about how screwed up you're left feeling.

Most of my old stuff, albeit disappointing for me, was about being in love. Now I never write about it. But meh...
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Yes, there are a lot of love songs that arn't cheesy.

Check out In Years to Come by Thrice.
Brilliant love song minus all the cheesyness!
I follow two simple rules!

1º Never say i love you, i like you or its relatives... OBVIOUS = CHEESY. Saying obvious stuff is just lame. I'm not saying you can't, i've heard some good songs with those things, but at least for me it doesn't works. Saying those things is like... "Your red hair is like... The red of my apple L_L..." Lame.

2º Write about aspects of your love. I think this is the key. For example, my last "love" song was about my ex-girlfriend... I made a mistake and well, mmm she cried... So i wrote. I wrote about the reasons i had to make that mistake and the moment we fought... But at the end, the song is just about im sorry, i did it because i love you. Maybe not knowing what happened is kind of annoying for you guys but... Well... So... The fact is, don't write about I LOVE YOU, write about WHY, HOW, WHEN, WHERE i do it.

Obvious = Cheesy.

Sorry for my lame english. Cya
love is only a feeling by the darkness is very cheesy but it is one of the best love songs ever. ten years gone is very uncheesy but it is also one of the best love songs ever. what makes them both great is thier both honest. im having the same problem you are but i just keep writing and every once in a while i write something that fits perfectly and sounds good. so i guess what im trying to say is keep writing and every so often look back at everything youve written and just pick what you like and go with it
just write down what comes to you. avoid cliches at all costs. use words like "stunning", "beautiful", and "angelic".
don't drink and drive, smoke and fly. actually, do both, if that's what you want. i won't care.
Quote by Just Andrew
I ask this because I have a good inspiration on writing something, and quite honestly, I have some ideas on how to write it, but it feels like no matter how I put it, it all feels the same and cheesy...

Check out some As I Lay Dying songs, they're no where near cheesy...
Forever
well if youre writing it for someone... then just write how you feel... its a love song its supposed to be cheesy
avoid cliches, when i write love songs i tend to allude to the end and why it won't come, or try to get all introspective, if you can. hell i'll tell you now: your tenth inspired song will always be better than the first, if you grow musically. just be honest, but remember if you plan to let more than her hear it then the introspective works the best. and lastly: we ALL have a cheesy love song for our girl, they usually like simple songs to shred, easier to remember for puny female minds! mu ahahahahaha!! jk of course,... not really...kinda...somewhat. hope i helped, if not i'm sorry

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
hm...maybe don't make it sound like anyone elses love songs, i've been listening to say anything a lot, maybe check them out, they have a lot of love songs, or kinda love songs.
Quote by Just Andrew

Be vague. Don't get right to the point (ie. "I love you"). Try beating around the bush a little bit. Be creative. Let the listener put the pieces together. Maybe try some similies. Well, thats all I got. Hope that helps.
Quote by mikeman
Be vague. Don't get right to the point (ie. "I love you"). Try beating around the bush a little bit. Be creative. Let the listener put the pieces together. Maybe try some similies. Well, thats all I got. Hope that helps.
That's what I've been doing, I've been trying to avoid saying something really blunt and so far, I haven't.

I did write something last night after getting inspired by a line my friend said. As I go over it, it's more of a poem then a song(no chorus). And I'd like to write a chorus, but I feel like that's something that should just come naturally and not be forced....

Thanks for the help guys
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by Jangles5150
just write down what comes to you. avoid cliches at all costs. use words like "stunning", "beautiful", and "angelic".

Contradictory?

Do not use any word which could be linked to appearance, love or attraction. Describe around it and it'll sound pretty cool.
i definitely second phobiafreak949's advice.
try to be original. you can use inside references that people might not get, maybe a street or a restaurant, a color, a song, a conversation as long as they're not wayyyy too abstract.
there have been some pretty high charting songs that don't appear too cheesy until you really look at the lyrics. timing and music come in to whether something is considered cheesy.
just be original about what's important to you, your passions and what concerns you.

if you really want some uniquity (not a word), experiment with different timings and musical and lyrical devices.
the main thing is to keep writing and hang on to everything you write. if you don't write it down you won't remember it tomorrow. even bad songs that never get played can sometimes hold 1 or 2 good lines you can put to use later. some songs can be wrote in 5 minutes, while others take 5 years. one thing i know for sure, if your gonna write songs, most will be love songs rather we like it or not.
Quote by PoRK CHoP 1
the main thing is to keep writing and hang on to everything you write. if you don't write it down you won't remember it tomorrow. even bad songs that never get played can sometimes hold 1 or 2 good lines you can put to use later. some songs can be wrote in 5 minutes, while others take 5 years. one thing i know for sure, if your gonna write songs, most will be love songs rather we like it or not.
Yeah, I always write whatever I feel down. Can't imagine being anywhere without my pad....

Though, I feel I should mention that my friend and I who are writing about the same idea(love...), have a benefit concert taking place at our school and we worked on writing on a song. I actually like with what we got. I'll post it in the future....
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
The only advice I can give you is to just write. Write it out how you feel to keep it personal and real, and if you still find it a little cheesy, well so what. Love is cheesy.