I've bee playing for about three years all self taught, and I kind of started to look at some videos on YouTube for some more advanced techniques. I saw that everybody there strums and picks with a somewhat open hand, but my fist is completely closed when i strum so the three fingers besides thumb and index don't hang loose. Is this that bad? Cause I seem to play pretty good this way.
Quote by Pulsarthegreat
I've bee playing for about three years all self taught, and I kind of started to look at some videos on YouTube for some more advanced techniques. I saw that everybody there strums and picks with a somewhat open hand, but my fist is completely closed when i strum so the three fingers besides thumb and index don't hang loose. Is this that bad? Cause I seem to play pretty good this way.

when you just hold the pick with your thumb and first finger and stick out all your other fingers, it lets you pick faster.
Thats how I do it. Having an open hand just feels too uncomfortable to me.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
somethings are always uncomfortable at the first time
as long as you doing it right, it will turn much more bearable
coz bad picking habits can really mess your speed up
I play with a closed hand. The only drawback I find is transitioning from 'normal' picking to palm muted.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by Metallica_Man55
when you just hold the pick with your thumb and first finger and stick out all your other fingers, it lets you pick faster.

Sorry but just no. In some of his older videos Rusty Cooley picks with a closed fist when he's playing fast and Santiago Dobles from Aghora always picks like that.

Rusty

Santiago
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Sorry but just no. In some of his older videos Rusty Cooley picks with a closed fist when he's playing fast and Santiago Dobles from Aghora always picks like that.

Rusty

Santiago

that's just my opinion. i find it kind of awkward to pick using my entire hand, especially fast. leaving my hand open lets me just use my two fingers to pick faster.

like i said, that's just me.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
that's just my opinion. i find it kind of awkward to pick using my entire hand, especially fast. leaving my hand open lets me just use my two fingers to pick faster.

like i said, that's just me.

If you know it's just you then why did you generalize? You shouldn't go giving advice based on generalities like that. I sure as hell can't pick with a closed fist but I know it's not bad if you do do it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I didnt know there was a wrong way to strum

seriously though, Thats how I strum also. I noticed it myself and decided to ask my guitar teacher; he said it was completely ok. Ive also heard that some famous musicians strum this way as well, so no worries.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you know it's just you then why did you generalize? You shouldn't go giving advice based on generalities like that. I sure as hell can't pick with a closed fist but I know it's not bad if you do do it.

sorry. i didn't realize that until now.

i actually tried to pick with a closed fist yesterday. it was difficult. my other fingers kept getting in the way.