Ok, after many opinions and looking around for a while, I think I've narrowed my choice down to the following guitars and amps. Can I get some opinions? I'm a beginning guitarist who just wants something that I can grow into and have around $500-$600 for both the guitar and amp. I would normally be playing the standard learning stuff and when I get better, classic rock and christian praise music. Thanks in advance. Feel free to add other choices in the range.

Guitar

Epiphone G-400 Deluxe (or other G-400)

Fender HSS

Ibanez RG2EX1

Ibanez RG321

Amp

Fender Frontman 65w

Vox AD30VT

Roland 30X

Again, thanks for any suggestions.
wow... me too i have the same experience ... im looking forward to replies on this topic/thread...
fender and the fender alwways just good enoug for rock and soft
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
g-400s are good. dont get the fender amp though they're not that great. I would go for the vox.
go with the vox i have one and its really nice as for the guitar i would say the fender or the epi
I have the G-400 and from personal experience I love it. I'd definitely go with that, my only problem is it's neck heavy so get a wide leather strap. As for the amp I'd get the Fender I've played it and love it!

Send me a message when you choose please I want to know what you pick
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
I'd go with the Vox for the AMP for sure...

the RG2EX1 for the guitar...

though I'd pay a bit more and try to find one with a locking nuts on the top...if you plan on using it to much...
Does the speaker size matter a lot? I've seen others that were a little less, or possibly a tube amp, but the speaker was only 8" instead of 10 or 12. Someone had told me that it makes a big difference.
I would say the G400 and roland

But i had to laugh out loud when i saw that you picked a SG and your doing christian music.. I dont know if the lord would approve of a guitar with devil horns being brought in a church...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I would say the G400 and roland

But i had to laugh out loud when i saw that you picked a SG and your doing christian music.. I dont know if the lord would approve of a guitar with devil horns being brought in a church...

That's not seriously what the design is, is it? I'm pretty clueless about guitars for the most part, so please excuse the ignorance.

LOL. I just looked it up and it does say 'devil horn design." I had no idea. That thought never crossed my mind. Hmmm. Maybe I ought to stay away from that.
Last edited by caseyd1012 at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by caseyd1012
That's not seriously what the design is, is it? I'm pretty clueless about guitars for the most part, so please excuse the ignorance.

No problem dude... And ohhhh yea thats what it is... Looks smooth and christian like it white though.... And you can pawn it off as angel wings.. But a red SG...

<--- Take a look at that and then look at the guitar and tell me it aint the devil
Ok, I'm probably going to stay away from that one. LOL (although like you said, the white wouldn't be so bad).

Out of the 2 Ibanez and the Fender, which would be better for me? I'll probably try to play whatever I can at Guitar Center. Just hoped to get some opinions in advance.

The more I look at the Vox, the more I think I'll get that for the amp.
Id have to say the Vox and the fender mex strat, but get it with single coils rather then humbuckers
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
If its light rock go with the Fender.... All around good guitar, and for the praise stuff it can really pump out that bright sort of sound...

So the Fender would be better than the G-400 (if I did decide to go with the white)?
G-400 all the way. Amazing guitar. It will last you for a long time. If you put active pups in these I'm sure it could compare to 700/800 dollar guitars.

For the amp look at a Crate Palomino, all tube amps for great prices. Also look at the BlackHearts. Try and go for tube amps, the AD series is hybrid.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Threadstarter, that sounds like a pretty good setup for what you want to play, but I hope you have no intention on ever playing in a Catholic Church cause you won't be able to with that guitar, or any electric for that matter (thank you Pope, that was a brilliant decision... not). But yeah, that set up is a pretty nice one for anything really if you're just starting out so enjoy
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by onemanarmy9
Threadstarter, that sounds like a pretty good setup for what you want to play, but I hope you have no intention on ever playing in a Catholic Church cause you won't be able to with that guitar, or any electric for that matter (thank you Pope, that was a brilliant decision... not). But yeah, that set up is a pretty nice one for anything really if you're just starting out so enjoy

LOL. I go to a Baptist church and one of the guys that plays guitar for the praise team plays a Jackson. I think I'm probably pretty safe with a Fender.
lol yeah you're safe. I hope you enjoy that rig, cause that's pretty nice to start out on.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix