Page 1 of 2
I was never really able to do a side by side comparison with EMG's until today.

I bought a EC-1000 w/ Duncan pups and I was comparing it to my Jackson, while running it through my Framus. The cleans on the Duncan '59 is so much warmer and smoother, abd clean wise it blows the 60 out of the water. Then I compared them (JB v. 81) on the gain channel. And boy was I surprised. The Duncan sounds so much fatter and tighter then my EMG. It also has a certain grittiness to its sound. Almost like a pronounced crunch. I really prefer the tone of the Duncans. They are both similarly priced guitars, so quality should not be the biggest deal (wood and such).

So what does UG think? Are EMG's really overrated for metal?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Mar 8, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yes yes they are!

A reason would be nice.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
definetlly they arnt bad pickups but there are soo much better ones i find emgs to sound too ffizzy sounding most of the time
Gear: Peavey 5150 Head
Peavey 5150 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standerd
Gibson Flying V
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Marshal JCM 800 1960 A Lead Cab

Quote by dcdossett65
I dont think i'd ever buy a gibson, the epiphones dont feel any different to me, besides the sound.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
A reason would be nice.

1)Most all metal bands use them
2)Metal is the one thing they excel at
3)They can overdrive Tube Amps for more gain
4)There compressed a little and have a really tight attack to them
5)They can chug and growl like a demon
6)Look smooth as hell
7)I've played and compared alot of pickups and these take the cake for metal
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

I bought a EC-1000 w/ Duncan pups and I was comparing it to my Jackson, while running it through my Framus. The cleans on the Duncan JB is so much warmer and smoother, abd clean wise it blows the 60 out of the water. Then I compared them (59 v. 81) on the gain channel. And boy was I surprised. The Duncan sounds so much fatter and tighter then my EMG. It also has a certain grittiness to its sound. Almost like a pronounced crunch. I really prefer the tone of the Duncans. They are both similarly priced guitars, so quality should not be the biggest deal (wood and such).

Wait, so you compared the bridge PU of one guitar with the neck PU of another?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
1)Most all metal bands use them
2)Metal is the one thing they excel at
3)They can overdrive Tube Amps for more gain
4)There compressed a little and have a really tight attack to them
5)They can chug and growl like a demon
6)Look smooth as hell
7)I've played and compared alot of pickups and these take the cake for metal

1)...and? Alot of metal players use Duncan's and many use DiMarzios.
2) Other pickups are created for high gain as well
3)How? with the AB I can see it.
4)They can be tight, but that depends a lot on the player. The compression can make them sound thin.
5) Only if the player can.
6) ...and?
7) You are obviously entitled to and opinion, but is that really a reason?

EDIT: ^ I mixed them up when I typed them my bad. Fixed it.
Quote by doggy_hat
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Mar 8, 2008,
emg + mahogany = balls to the wall
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
EMGs are friggen gravy. The 81/85 set up on my SG sounds superb. The 81 lacks in the clean department, but the 85 is so fat and warm. I like them alot.
EMGs, DiMarzios, JB, Bill Lawrence, etc are all good pickups.
I like EMGs, but it's a matter of personal preference.
Shecter Jolly Roger w/EMGs 81/85
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor
Boss BR600 Recorder
BleedDeathMetal

1)...and? Alot of metal players use Duncan's and many use DiMarzios.----They do but almost all the greats use emgs
2) Other pickups are created for high gain as well----- see section 1)
3)How? with the AB I can see it. -----High output pickups overdrive amps
4)They can be tight, but that depends a lot on the player. The compression can make them sound thin.----- Sorry you cant get them to sound better
5) Only if the player can. ----- again sorry if you cant
6) ...and? Why do Dimarzios come in different colors? Its the whole package
7) You are obviously entitled to and opinion, but is that really a reason?---If im entitled to my opinion then why are you going in and hacking them up?

And why even ask for opinions if you obvisouly know so much about them.. This isnt the pit....
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 8, 2008,
I really like EMGs in Mahogony guitars, but think they're eh in alder and other guitars.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I really like EMGs in Mahogony guitars, but think they're eh in alder and other guitars.

I've heard that the type of wood doesn't really matter with actives. Untrue?
The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.

Quote by Toniofalcon
I'd prefer to be the only guitarist in a band. I love rhythm and I like leads, why not do both? Plus I want all of the attention because I am a huge faggot.
Quote by thefunnelweaver
I've heard that the type of wood doesn't really matter with actives. Untrue?

definitely untrue, that myth gets perpetuated all the time around here. I have to change EQ settings on my amps with my guitars that are different woods, with the same exact EMG pickups. I've owned EMG's in mahogany, alder, ash, basswood, and maple, and they all have different sound qualities. EMG's still operate on the same principles as any other pickup, the only difference being the magnet is smaller, so they use a powered preamp to boost the signal.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I used to believe in that myth as well until i got my ESP and put my same emg 81 that was in my Ibanez in it... The tone does change... Does it still sound like a EMG yes it does.. But the tone does get deeper or brighter in different woods....
Personally I cant stand EMG's. Seems hard to get good mids out of them. They focus too much on the bass and the treb.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I think it depends on the model. I played a Jackson with EMGs and it sounded like an elephant that had a few bean burritos. But then I tried a different model Jackson, which I'm gonna assume had different model pickups, and it sounded good.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
IMO they are very sterile and have weak mids, i prefer good ceramic magnet passive pups.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
out of all the guitars i own i like my jacksons SD pickups over my B.C. Rich's EMG KFK SEt.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
well emgs have a distinct tone...if you like that tone, you like emgs, if you dont, then you dont. I like the sound of emgs, so i use em.
Gibson Special Faded SG with EMG 81 in the bridge
Peavey 6505
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Maxon OD 808
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss Tu-2 Chromatic tuner
Boss Ph-3 Phase Shifter
They sound pretty good, but extremely unversatile, you'll be stuck only with a metal tone, everything else will be below average for all other music types.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

about the overdriving of amps with high output pickups, this is true, even with solid states, i have a strat with singles and lp obviously with humbuckers, and when i changed over to using the lp, OMFG did the distortion sound heavier.
Quote by DSchmitty
They sound pretty good, but extremely unversatile, you'll be stuck only with a metal tone, everything else will be below average for all other music types.

I have to disagree. Sure, there's other pickups that are more versatile, but EMGs are NOT a one trick pony.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by DSchmitty

not entirely true. emgs are great metal pickups but can be used for other styles as well - dave gilmour, keith richards, even vince gill (country dude) used them at some point.
Shecter Jolly Roger w/EMGs 81/85
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor
Boss BR600 Recorder
I like Blackouts better than EMGs, but to each their own.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Blackouts beat EMG's (YES, i've tried them).
I was just noodling around at the store (I would never buy a set of actives, seeing as i'm a bluesman), and even though I love passives more than actives, I thought the Blackouts were much better, much stronger sounding. EMG's are fizzy and kind of strange to my ears.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Kaban
not entirely true. emgs are great metal pickups but can be used for other styles as well - dave gilmour, keith richards, even vince gill (country dude) used them at some point.

Be fair though, those guys probably used the single coil versions. I know gilmour did, and he switched back to passives.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Blackouts. EMGs are great for metal, but Blackouts just do better, and they're cleans are clearer as well.
Depends, do you play metal? If so, do you want uber high gain? Then EMG's are great. They have a distinctive sound that you can't get with other pickups. If you like playing things other than metal, then they aren't really that great. It's all personal preference though.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by BleedDeathMetal

I bought a EC-1000 w/ Duncan pups and I was comparing it to my Jackson, while running it through my Framus. The cleans on the Duncan '59 is so much warmer and smoother, abd clean wise it blows the 60 out of the water. Then I compared them (JB v. 81) on the gain channel. And boy was I surprised. The Duncan sounds so much fatter and tighter then my EMG. It also has a certain grittiness to its sound. Almost like a pronounced crunch. I really prefer the tone of the Duncans. They are both similarly priced guitars, so quality should not be the biggest deal (wood and such).

So what does UG think? Are EMG's really overrated for metal?

If I see it correctly, you are comparing different pick ups with different guitars. The bodywork is mahogony on the LTD, whereas the Jackson is probably alder. So your comparison = fail!
no... if you got a mahogany guitar do not get emg's. I made this mistake for like 7 years of my guitar playing life. I always got the emg's. And then I got a good pair of passives in my new schecter. Blows those emg's away and sounds killer with my tube amp. It sounds so deep and heavy. And the emg is just like... sterile.
to add.... most people go through the emg phase earlier in their career because the first one you get after you're used to stock pickups.... you're like goddamn these things are killer. But then later on when you hear some damn good passives you switch back. I know i wont buy another emg.
^I agree. I love my duncans so damn much!

a little off topic. but when I first started guitar I would see my bros friends with emgs on their guitars and I had never seen them in real life before and I was always facinated to see were they rubber or what because they looked so.. Idk.. so cool
yeah like i said compared to most stock pickups you'll install the emg's and be like wow this is great and stick with them for 7 years like i did. lol and then one day you'll get ahold of those sweet passives in mahogany wood.
Quote by paranormal5150
no... if you got a mahogany guitar do not get emg's. I made this mistake for like 7 years of my guitar playing life. I always got the emg's. And then I got a good pair of passives in my new schecter. Blows those emg's away and sounds killer with my tube amp. It sounds so deep and heavy. And the emg is just like... sterile.

Dude, mahogany is said to be one of the best woods for EMGs. Lovely warm tone and lots of mids and low end.

Anyways it's all preference. I have a guitar with a JB, one with an Evo and one with an EMG81. They all sound different and they all sound great.
mahogany is good for emg's i wasnt doubting that. What I meant by that. Was if you have mahogany go passive and really hear your wood tone you know what i mean? You go active you don't get that as much.
if you add another battery they sound alot better, not so sterile etc

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by paranormal5150

Nope, enough exceptions to what you are saying, but it is all personal preference in the end. And about "sterile", perhaps you heard it on a crappy guitar or your EQ was wrong.
Page 1 of 2