I had asked before, bu the title is misleading... So I rewrote it.

So what I want to know is that why most new low wattage (<30watts) amps (especially the cheap ones) use EL84? Even Fender use EL84 in hot rod series, and only the Vintage Modified series use 6v6.

This is the response from that thread:
Quote by Roc8995
El84s are tough, low output tubes. These are better for budget amps because they use smaller (cheaper) transformers and can be run well above their intended voltage.
The only other viable low-output tube is the 6V6, but fewer of them are manufactured than EL84.

Quote by Malarkatron
EL84s are just lower powered EL34 that you find in the bigger amps. They might sound a little different, I'm not 100%. But that is why the smaller amps use them, because they are lower powered.

Any other reason for using EL84, especially compare to 6v6? Also, in terms of volume and tone, what's the difference?
Any other reason for using EL84, especially compare to 6v6?

Money? Compatibility?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I've read various anecdotes that claim a tonal difference between the two power tubes.

The 6L6s are said to have a glassier, more chimey high end while EL84s are supposed to provide a darker tone with more midrange bite and bottom.

The 6L6 sound is often called "American" a la the traditionally brighter clean tones of Fender.

The EL84 sound is known as "British" for its apparently thicker tone with more midrange growl. Think vintage Vox and Marshall.

I hope that helps.
It's all a difference of sound. EL84's aren't necessarily cheaper, or worse than other tubes.
Actually, many high end amps like Vox AC's, and ceriatone's matchless clones all have EL84's for power tubes. EL84's have a chimey top end, while 6L6's have a smoother drive when cranked?
Don't quote me on that though, i'm just now learning the ropes of amp science.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by guitarbite.fire
so could i use an el-84 instead of a 6l6?

That's one of the reason I am asking, because EL84 is 9-pin while 6v6/6L6/EL34/6550 is octal. EL84 socket will need an adapter to accept EL34. Thus, I can easily make the XD series louder, while EL84 (according to the tube thread) will be stuck in same wattage unless the tran is also upgraded.
Last edited by Jestersage at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by Jestersage
That's one of the reason I am asking, because EL84 is 9-pin while 6v6/6L6/EL34/6550 is octal. EL84 socket will need an adapter to accept EL34. Thus, I can easily make the XD series louder, while EL84 (according to the tube thread) will be stuck in same wattage unless the tran is also upgraded.

You couldn't make the XD series louder by putting a different tube in it. You'd blow it up. It's not about the number of pins, it's the characteristics of the tubes. Any el84 or 6v6 amp will be "stuck" with its wattage because any higher capacity tube is very likely to kill the amp. I don't know where you got the idea that you wouldn't have to convert the transformer with a 6v6 amp, but it would be just as easy to mod an el84 amp with a new tube socket as a 6v6 amp to el34 specs, assuming the iron could handle it (not the case with the XD, champ 600, valve junior, or anything of that sort.)

With *some* nicer 6v6 amps, you can convert the amp to El34s. The transformer in the cheaper amps you suggest are not likely to stand up to the conversion, but if you'd like to try, you can do it with some simple internal modifications. Even with the mod there would not likely be a large increase in volume.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Mar 9, 2008,
Here's just a guess: It's cheaper to put three nine-pin sockets; than to put two nine-pin and one eight-pin socket in an amp. I think Roc3485498 pretty much nailed it in that post you quoted, but this socket thing may play a part as well.
EL84 are also more compact than 6V6, and so lend themselves to fitting in a compact combo more easily... Also the plate voltages, availability and tube sockets will be a big factor.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.