I am learning the chords in a song, and one of the chords is E/D. I am not sure if the notes have to be in the order, D, E, G#, B in this chord or if they can be D, any inversion of the chord. If it has to be played D, E, G#, B, How would the chord be written differently if it was D, G#, B, E (I think thats a 1st inversion) or any other inversion of the chord?
1st off, the notes almost never have to be in order, especially in modern music. As for your question, I'm not quite sure...what kind of song? what key? is it a lead sheet? Because D, E, G#, B would be a E7 chord in 4th inversion. D7 on the other hand, would be D F# A C. If it's a lead sheet, it may be suggesting a common substitution. And if so, it would help me to know the key.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Thank you bangoodcharlote. To answer your questions KryptNet, I think its in A Major, the music I am playing is the chords (and I also have the melody written in standard notation). If anyone else has any useful information they would like to add, please do, because I will check this thread in an hour or two, to see if anyone else has posted.
Last edited by kilbie at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The D has to be in the bass. The other notes can be in any order, though you may find some combinations to sound better than others.
lmaof - I was just looking over Wes Montgomery's "Fried Pies" and F13/E. Of course!! It means put the Eb in the bass! It makes so much sense now. I'm such an idiot...to think of all the times I've gotten away with not doing that. thx bangoodcharlote.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
I think the way those work, is that you play a normal E major, and you have a D in bass in addition to the E chord. I'm not sure though, but I've seen that pattern in most of em so I just assumed.

EDIT: Btw thanks bangoodcharlote, lol I've been looking for a full version of Melodic control but could only find like half of it on youtube.
Last edited by one vision at Mar 9, 2008,