Well, my parents just informed me that I have a savings bond for $675. So now I figured I should look around for a new amp. My budget is around $800, maybe a bit more.

I'd like an amp that can really nail metal and shred tones. A full amp would be nice, but I'd be more than willing to settle for just a head seeing as how I already have a cab. Bonus if it's somewhat common so I can try it out first. Basically any suggestion you can throw at me.

Gogogo!
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
MESA. save your bucks some more and get a mesa head and cab. go the tube way man. and mesa would be perfect for your style. you will never need another amp again!
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
Quote by valentinezxifax
MESA. save your bucks some more and get a mesa head and cab. go the tube way man. and mesa would be perfect for your style. you will never need another amp again!

+1. What kind of cab do you have?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
+1. What kind of cab do you have?

Ugghhh...the cab that came with the halfstack. Definitely nothing special. I was just making the point that I could deal with just the head, and I can upgrade the cab eventually when I get more money.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
You know, a Randall half stack would be just as awesome and cheaper, that's what Kirk Hammet uses. Almost forgot about it.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
You know, a Randall half stack would be just as awesome and cheaper, that's what Kirk Hammet uses. Almost forgot about it.

Well I'm mainly looking to stay tube. I was thinking of a used 5150/6505, a Bugera 6262, a Mesa, etc.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Try a good Mesa combo. It's always a better idea to get better quality combo than a worse stack. trust me
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by Sonicxlover
Well I'm mainly looking to stay tube. I was thinking of a used 5150/6505, a Bugera 6262, a Mesa, etc.

I've heard nothing but good about the Bugeras but no one knows how they will be in the long run so thats a drawback. B-52 AT-100 would be a nice head to look at as well as a Mesa F-50 or maybe a used Recto.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
If I was you, which I am in the process of buying a finding the supreme tube amp for metal as well, i would

1) Get a Madison Divinity off of Ebay for about $800 w/shipping
2) Save your money and get the Mesa Triple Rectifier, better than the dual rec
or
3) Wait and look on ebay and craigslist until a VHT Deliverance shows up for around $900 to $800 (if you want to hear it listen to unearth, they just add hush and i think an exciter)

But my main options would be either the VHT because it has amazing clarity and a great sound or the madison its pretty much the same as the VHT only with a little more distortion, it looks cooler, and its the cheapest all tube amp that actually is supreme. (I'm getting the madison cuz it a little better w/7-string too)

If you want to take the second option (to save)
get either a powerball engl or a mesa triple rec.
maybe a Engl Fireball or a Bogner Uberschall if you have more money that you willing to spend. but used marshall JCM800 will suit you well.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Last edited by COBHC_Slayer at Mar 9, 2008,
I'd say the Crate Blue Voodoo can definitely do the br00talz. The guitarist in my band that plays the br00talz has a Crate Blue Voodoo head and a Mesa cabinet and without a pedal it has an amazing sound.
Quote by flick_your_bic
I'd say the Crate Blue Voodoo can definitely do the br00talz. The guitarist in my band that plays the br00talz has a Crate Blue Voodoo head and a Mesa cabinet and without a pedal it has an amazing sound.

I don't think that's really the sort of tone I had in mind...I like the amps that give out tons of low end.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by COBHC_Slayer
maybe a Engl Fireball or a Bogner Uberschall if you have more money that you willing to spend. but used marshall JCM800 will suit you well.

lulz...

well look at a 5150 if you want
I'd go with 5150, for the price they're unbeatable.
Shecter Jolly Roger w/EMGs 81/85
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor
Boss BR600 Recorder