Hey, how does rusty cooley, yngwie, mab, and all them and the hardcore metal dudes get so fast with their left hand? What do they do to go that fast? Like, I can sweep, tap, all that fun stuff, but i'm not fast enough to trill, or do unearth kinda cromatic sweeps. Can you guys help me out on this, tips or exercises would be supremely helpful.

Thanks
according to yngwie you dont get faster exactly, you get more efficient with your hands, smaller movements, ect. as for excerises i think just a lot of time with all the normal ones will get you there eventually
efficiency. meaning learning to be proficient with your pinky, minimal with the movement of your hand up and down the neck, and minimal movement of your fingertips up from the fret board. and obviously syncing your picking speed with the increased "speed" of your left hand.
Quote by ESP666ESP
Hey, how does rusty cooley, yngwie, mab, and all them and the hardcore metal dudes get so fast with their left hand? What do they do to go that fast? Like, I can sweep, tap, all that fun stuff, but i'm not fast enough to trill, or do unearth kinda cromatic sweeps. Can you guys help me out on this, tips or exercises would be supremely helpful.

Thanks

well speed is just a by-product of accuracy. anyone can move their fingers fast, but hitting the right notes while doing that is another thing. and doing that clean is another thing as well.

but for things like trills, hammer ons, legato, etc... that requires patience and technique practice. with things like that you want to have no tension in your hands and fingers. tensing up actually makes you slow down. so again it can be another accuracy thing. you have to be accurate while staying loose. you want to move your finger in small amounts keeping them close to the fretboard.

basically, start slow and work your way up. you have to build up your accuaracy at slower tempos before going faster. same with the picking hand. anyone can move the pick fast, but hitting the notes fast and in a steady tempo is another thing. basically you want to do all this so that it becomes second nature to you. your mind and muscles are so used to doing these movements that they become more accurate at doing them and you dont have to think about it. you just do it. its like when you look back at when you started and how everything seemed so hard but now those things seem like nothing to you.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Mar 9, 2008,
i started doing a lot of chromatics to a metronome and that got my hands pretty fluid, and i have an old issue of guitar world where gary hoey does like a finger strenghth exercises that helped my fingers improve there efficiency. it's basically doing 16th note hammer on pull offs between the first finger and all the other fingers, than it does 16th note hammer on pull offs between each finger i.e 1 - 2; 2 - 3; 3 -4 and that kills