hey pit.

on friday night at 8 oclock PM, someone signed onto my Yahoo email address and sent a rather infuriating email to a girl that i used to have strong feelings for. no one knows my password for my account, and i couldnt have accidentally sent this email in my sleep or something weird like that cuz i was at my friends house on friday at 8.

so basically, i was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it would be for someone who is pretty darn smart to hack my password and send an email without me knowing, cuz i would really like to get to the bottom of this. thanks for any help u can offer
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
It would be exceedingly easy, even for someone who isn't very smart. There are internet tutorials on how to do that kind of thing, and anyone with a basic knowledge of hacking could do it too.
kill all humans
Did you leave your account logged in maybe? Either way change your password to something more complex, ie. numbers + letters + longer length + different cases. And no it isn't that easy, if it really was Yahoo would have a huge problem on their hands (on their end). Most of this stuff occurs due to social engineering, weak passwords, key loggers, trojans, etc. which if you have common sense and a careful shouldn't happen.
Last edited by Negative Burn at Mar 9, 2008,
You could have left your account logged in, or had a password that's easy to guess. I use the same password for everything I do on the internet including computer logon, which my friends know. It wouldn't be hard for them to get into my email.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
well my password is deffinately not easy to guess, and i am sure i didnt leave myself logged in. i changed my password just now, but im just worried about the person hacking in again, if thats actually what happened. i do know several people who are very good with computers and hacking and stuff
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
They probably placed a keylogging trojan onto your computer
has someone sent you pictures or music or something in the past while?ther person that did it is probably quite smart and embedded a keylogger into something
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Last edited by x0rsist at Mar 9, 2008,
I doubt someone actually "hacked" you...

People can send e-mails under your emailadress without even having to log in. I don't know how they do it, but it's possible. Someone either did this, or they just guessed your password.
im going to guess that you're bipolar and refuse to accept that you did it yourself. deal with it.
Someone probably just used an anonymous emailer, doubt they logged into your account.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by dannay
im going to guess that you're bipolar and refuse to accept that you did it yourself. deal with it.

Way to know nothing about bipolar and fail to be funny at the same time.

The easiest way to steal someone's email if it's someone you know is to send them a chain email and including the "secret question" for that account.
Quote by JamieB
Someone probably just used an anonymous emailer, doubt they logged into your account.

That's true - using telnet you can send email using any email address you like.