"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."

- Socrates

I've been thinking about this statement a lot, and I was wondering what you guys think about it?
that depends... doesn't knowledge create evil? if we were truly ignorant, we'd be just like every animal on this planet, acting like we're supposed to.

then there's the other side, that knowledge is the only thing that allows us to rise above that state. however, that makes the assumption that acting like an animal is evil, which it truly isn't. although it's certainly not a good use of our brainpower.
I like it. I really enjoy Socrates' philosophies but I'm really a Voltaire man myself.

But about the quote. I like how simple yet deep it is. Because if you really think about it, ignorance is the root of all evil. Ignorance of other peoples cultures, ignorance of other peoples emotions. If only those who commit evil had to knowledge of what it's like to be in the shoes of their victims perhaps they would change their ways.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
There's only one thing that defines anything, perception.

Everything is based on perception. Simple as that.

There's no other way around it.

Don't forget opinion and rumor. Well, rumor is ignorance. Opinion is also often ignorance. Misinformation is also ignorance. But that perception is then possibly a false perception. False perceptions are neither good nor evil, but merely false. At the same time, the subject of the false perception also becomes neither good nor evil and the perception becomes void. This void perception is often taken as truth and everything really becomes a mess from there.

That's an introduction to politics.
yes but it's knowledge that creates the opposing views that make people dislike each other.

knowledge is perception of good and evil, therefore without knowledge, there is not good and evil.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct

knowledge is perception of good and evil, therefore without knowledge, there is not good and evil.

Yes there is. Much "evil" today is caused by ignorance. Many times knowledge is really ignorance, with or without knowledge that it is indeed ignorance.
^ you're not going deep enough. true ignorance is creates a lack of acknowledgment of others, therefore eliminating conflict. i'm talking total ignorance. adam and eve ignorance.
I think greed is a bigger cause of evil than ignorance. Also, Knowledge can be used for bad often. Without knowledge, the Nuclear bomb wouldn't have been created, and caused decades of fear.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
To understand it well you need to read alot of Socrtates' other ideas too.
As the man who has the knowledge would not do evil, as the ignorant man would do evil out of ignorance.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
^ you're not going deep enough. true ignorance is creates a lack of acknowledgment of others, therefore eliminating conflict. i'm talking total ignorance. adam and eve ignorance.

True ignorance would also mean a lack of life, so I suppose that is true.

EDIT: wtf? I wasn't arguing, just adding something. Don't judge by age. That, my friend, is ignorance.
Quote by Avedas
Don't forget opinion and rumor. Well, rumor is ignorance. Opinion is also often ignorance. Misinformation is also ignorance. But that perception is then possibly a false perception. False perceptions are neither good nor evil, but merely false. At the same time, the subject of the false perception also becomes neither good nor evil and the perception becomes void. This void perception is often taken as truth and everything really becomes a mess from there.

That's an introduction to politics.

False perception ? explain that ? perception is perception no matter what way you look at it, its neither right nor wrong, its simply the only deciding factor towards what anything is.
Quote by CORT noob
I think greed is a bigger cause of evil than ignorance. Also, Knowledge can be used for bad often. Without knowledge, the Nuclear bomb wouldn't have been created, and caused decades of fear.

Note: Ignorance=/=Stupidity
Quote by Tazeyo
Note: Ignorance=/=Stupidity

Wait, Doesn't ignorance = Stupidity? If not, what does it mean?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

What if knowledge is wrong?

Then what do we believe

My thoughts have ventured into this realm many a time, only to reveal the simple fact that knowledge is made up of small beliefs.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
False perception ? explain that ? perception is perception no matter what way you look at it, its neither right nor wrong, its simply the only deciding factor towards what anything is.

"False" perception being based without correct knowledge. Such as from a rumor. I suppose it really is just perception, so same outcome. You're right.
Quote by Ichikurosaki

I want what your smoking
Quote by Avedas
True ignorance would also mean a lack of life, so I suppose that is true.

EDIT: wtf? I wasn't arguing, just adding something. Don't judge by age. That, my friend, is ignorance.

ok, now you're just being obtuse. in a naturally ignorant state, human beings would not kill each other. they would interact as normal creatures of the same species would interact, either working together to get food, or ignoring each other.

that is beside the point, however. since evil is a perception, ignorance of evil eliminates one's viewpoint on evil. knowledge creates perception, which creates collective views. from this comes certain views, such as 'killing someone is bad', etc.

ignorance of this simply leaves it as a natural result of successive events.
Quote by Avedas
"False" perception being based without correct knowledge. Such as from a rumor. I suppose it really is just perception, so same outcome. You're right.

correct knowledge ? the fact the knowledge is correct is simply perception of what is right, who's to say this correct knowledge is not born of "false perception" ?

it's a vicious circle, which is why the answer to everything is simply "perception"
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
ok, now you're just being obtuse. in a naturally ignorant state, human beings would not kill each other. they would interact as normal creatures of the same species would interact, either working together to get food, or ignoring each other.

that is beside the point, however. since evil is a perception, ignorance of evil eliminates one's viewpoint on evil. knowledge creates perception, which creates collective views. from this comes certain views, such as 'killing someone is bad', etc.

ignorance of this simply leaves it as a natural result of successive events.

Ok I see your viewpoint on this. Agreed.
I was reading some of Socrates' quotes the other day. They are really thoughtful..

Like this one,
"Whether you shall aquit me or not, know that even though I have to die many times, I shall never change my way"
- Socrates, before his execution.

It was something like that.
Knowledge can influence ignorance, which can coincide with the saying "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".

I guess.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by Von.
Knowledge can influence ignorance, which can coincide with the saying "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".

I guess.

Quote by dictionary.com-ignorance
the lack of knowledge or education

What definition are you all going by?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

I'm going by the dictionary.com definition, conveniently placed in your comment . I'm definitely not a philosopher, but my point was that knowledgeable people can influence those who lack education.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread