Someone posted it awhile ago. Is it true? If so, is most of the volume determined by the speakers or what?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Well, all other things being equal, a 10 watt amp is half as loud as 100 watts, yes.
Sound pressure (dB) is on a log scale, while power (watts) is linear...the conversion between the two is: %Loudness = (Ps/Pb)^0.30103 where Ps is power (wattage) of the smaller amp, Pb is wattage of the bigger amp.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Mar 9, 2008,
yea, bigger amps tend to drive bigger/more speakers and so seem more than twice as loud.
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
according to my Db meter my 100 watt head into a 1x12 is about 3 times as loud as my freinds 10 watt tube combo. Wattage is only a rough measurementin terms of how loud it will be, it also depends on how the amp is designed.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Roc8995
Well, all other things being equal, a 10 watt amp is half as loud as 100 watts, yes.
Sound pressure (dB) is on a log scale, while power (watts) is linear...the conversion between the two is: %Loudness = (Ps/Pb)^0.30103 where Ps is power (wattage) of the smaller amp, Pb is wattage of the bigger amp.

Sweet thanks, seems to work.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
When you talk about db, you cant say its only the double, and think is very low.

If you hear something in 60 db, like human voice, and after you go and hear a reactor of airplain of 120 db, thats not the ****ing double, your ears just explode. So the answer for a noob that never heard those amps in action, is: - no, its a lot more than the double loud.
Technically, it should be, I believe. But people very often make the mistake of thinking watts somehow equal volume. To be honest, there's a rather big correlation so they're not THAT wrong - but still, it isn't true.

Watts measure power. The output the amp has. But watts don't equal dB at all - that depends on the circuitry and the speakers and whatnot. If you had identical circuits and speakers and such in 2 amps, one being 10 watts and the other being 100 watts, then yes, I believe the other would be twice as loud. But there just are no such amps.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by zapparage
Someone posted it awhile ago. Is it true? If so, is most of the volume determined by the speakers or what?

its determined by how high the numbers go.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.