First off, I have a budget, so don't be advising me to buy $300 handwound pickups. I'm and enthusiast, not a touring professional.

So, I am looking to upgrade from the factory pickups on my Ibanez S470. I mostly play heavier rock/metal music, and I want to be able to play good leads AND ryhthms, and I don't want to be limited to just one genre of music.

I'm open to both active and passive pickups, provided I do not have to do any cutting on the body of my guitar.

Tell me what you think from experience please, not from what you have heard 2nd hand.
Also, just from curiosity, can I run a passive pickup as my middle single coil if I run active bridge/neck pickups?

(The S470 has a H/S/H configuration, but I don't use the single coil much)
I am willing to spend up to $250 or so, for a new bridge AND neck. I am currently running through a Marshall hybrid (SS/tube) amp, which is also going to be upgraded soon. The only "pedal" I am using now is a Line6 Pod.
Quote by thrasher_s
Also, just from curiosity, can I run a passive pickup as my middle single coil if I run active bridge/neck pickups?

(The S470 has a H/S/H configuration, but I don't use the single coil much)

Yes but its a major pain in the a$$.....
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yes but its a major pain in the a$$.....

Would it be easier to just leave the single coil for appearance sake, but not wire it in?
A Dimarzio Super 2 bridge, Dimarzio SDS-1 middle, and Dimarzio Breed Neck.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
When you upgraid your amp, what do you plan on upgraiding to? It's typically cheaper to have your pickup selection revolve around the amp then it is to have the amp work around the pickups.
Not taking any online orders.
OMG LIRN 2 AMP. I rekkomind somethin $3000 or mor, cause lower priced amps (even though they might be okay qualitywise) arnt good. Also you should get a $14000 guitar for the same reason. It might not sound as good, but at leest the money wil be wurth it.

^cuz we all know price is the best way to judge quality.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
When you upgraid your amp, what do you plan on upgraiding to? It's typically cheaper to have your pickup selection revolve around the amp then it is to have the amp work around the pickups.

+1

Let's figure out what amp you are going to get first.

That being said, you can get custom pickups at www.highorderpickups.com for around the price of your plain jane off the shelf Seymour Duncans.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.