Well I have a Marshall MG100HDFX half stack, and I know Solid States suck, and I'm not happy with it's distortion, which is why I'm searching for a pedal temporarily, but the amp was only $100 used, and like I said, it's temporary as I'm saving for a tube amp.

I was intrigued by the Blackheart 5w amp due to all the amazing reviews so I went to their website and learned more information and found out that they are coming out with a 15w head, and a 100w head. Well I can't wait. I imagine they will be affordable, and if they are anything like the 5w, they will be amazing.

Does anyone have any information on when these will be in stores? And how much they will be? I know there is a matching 4x12 cabinet with vintage 30s that is shown as well, I'm wondering if it will be offered as a half stack package and if so for how much?

SECOND QUESTION: If the blackheart is too expensive or something and end up getting the peavy windsor, can I get distorted tones from it, using a pedal, since I play metal, and I know it doesn't have a metal tone on it's own.
Last edited by flick_your_bic at Mar 9, 2008,
I knew that! lol. I don't know why I was thinking "hammerhead". I was looking at a lot of amps online today. Is there even an amp called the hammerhead? lol. Well anyway, yes the Blackheart HOThead is what it's called. and the 15w is the handsome devil btw.
Quote by flick_your_bic
I knew that! lol. I don't know why I was thinking "hammerhead". I was looking at a lot of amps online today. Is there even an amp called the hammerhead? lol. Well anyway, yes the Blackheart HOThead is what it's called. and the 15w is the handsome devil btw.

Grainger Hammerhead or something like that. Re-branded Epiphone So-Cal maybe? Something like that I believe.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
just check Thomann.de and they say they are getting the hothead in april. april the 4th to be exact.

Whats your budget?
Where do you life? US, AU or EU?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Mar 9, 2008,
Sound Control (UK) are stocking it for £399 I think. Not sure about America, try Musicians Friend. The Peavey Windsor doesn't need a pedal to play metal by the way.
Well I don't think the Blackheart would be the best choice for metal.

helsinki_vampir: He is in the US.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=481331
With this loaded with 2xV30s:
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/g212h%20special.htm

Perfect combo for you
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well I don't think the Blackheart would be the best choice for metal.

helsinki_vampir: He is in the US.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=481331
With this loaded with 2xV30s:
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/g212h%20special.htm

Perfect combo for you

+1.

Just don't expect much from the cleans.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
well with the blackheart i'd be using an overdrive pedal and if that's not enough then i'd get a distortion pedal, so why wouldn't it be good for metal?

would the peavy windsor really be a better choice?
The blackheart little giant sucks arse IMO.. Sounds exactly the same as a Harley Benton Ga5 for like 3x the price.. I'll try their new amps too when they come out but I'm not expecting anything spectacular from them..

I would save more money and look at something like a used Marshall DSL50 combo or a B-52 combo or a Genz-Benz el diablo combo..

Definitely recomend buying used as you will get WAY more amp for your money. I never buy anything new anymore it's such a waste of money.
Well I might try to get a used JCM2000 DSL50w head. Because I want a tube halfstack. Not a tube combo. The other guitarist in my band has a Mesa triple rectifier half stack, and he gets to turn it up at practices and shows, so I would be able to as well, so it being "overkill" is not an issue.
Normally I would ask, why you need a half-stack but now I see your point.

The Windsor would be far superior. I know it can definetly do metal. Also pedal distortion is gneerally inferior to amp distortion, that's why you should get an amp that does what you want straight away. Plus we know as a "fact" the Windsor is a good amp, since people has tried it. Noone has tried the Blackheart, so it's really a hit or miss. The Windsor will do what you want. It has the presence and resonance knobs which controls the sound "charater" of the amp, so you can get it everywhere from Marshalll bright to Mesa- Dark, which would suit you well.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Thanks. Unfortunately no stores near me sell the Windsor. They could get it in for me, but then I'd have to buy it. So, I'm going to have to buy it anyway, and hope I like it. I'm sure it will be better than my marshall mg lol.

So if I get the Windsor (which I'm about 99% sure is what I'll end up getting), would something such as the Tube Screamer make it sound even more distorted?

For anyone wondering, my settings for every amp I've ever used has been Bass-10, Middle-0, Treble-10, Gain-10.
It should have more then enough gain as it is

Using a TS or a clone of one will tighten up your sound a bit and add some gain for leads. The windsors a pretty hot head on it's own though!
Awesome. I can't wait to get it. I can't wait to have my own tube amp.

The best part is, is that I think my MG sounds fairly decent (lol), so when I get my windsor, I'm sure it will sound amazing!
Quote by flick_your_bic
For anyone wondering, my settings for every amp I've ever used has been Bass-10, Middle-0, Treble-10, Gain-10.

Oh lawd.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
do not scoop the mids!
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
Quote by flick_your_bic

things change with different amps. When I was a beginner I did that too. I'd put the same settings on every amp. Got my first 5150 and set it just like my old solid state amp and went like 2 months wondering why my 5150 sounded like crap. You don't want an amp that you have to max the gain. The bass at 10 on a tube amp... you wont like it. Treble at 10 on a tube amp. Will hurt your ears bad. I turn my treble up all the way on a solid state amp also. But never on a tube amp. I also turn my presence all the way up on a solid state amp. I keep it on 4 on my tube amp. I always play with my drummer and adjust the mids. I start pretty low and move up and up until it cuts through. I like to have my mids down low but still enough to hear my lead notes over the drummer. So I put my mids at around 4. But with my 5150 I had to start putting them at 5 or 6.... with my 333... I keep them at 3 or 4. Different amps have different midrange.
I read somewhere that the 100W HEAD will be $649. I'm preety sure its just an estimate though, and oncee it comes out it will be $449
Nah, I dont know. But I did see it Might be $649, maybe a little less
The windsor is pretty amazing

It's one of the few amps i've sat down with and just went holy s*it! upon playing it.
Quote by paranormal5150
things change with different amps. When I was a beginner I did that too. I'd put the same settings on every amp. Got my first 5150 and set it just like my old solid state amp and went like 2 months wondering why my 5150 sounded like crap. You don't want an amp that you have to max the gain. The bass at 10 on a tube amp... you wont like it. Treble at 10 on a tube amp. Will hurt your ears bad. I turn my treble up all the way on a solid state amp also. But never on a tube amp. I also turn my presence all the way up on a solid state amp. I keep it on 4 on my tube amp. I always play with my drummer and adjust the mids. I start pretty low and move up and up until it cuts through. I like to have my mids down low but still enough to hear my lead notes over the drummer. So I put my mids at around 4. But with my 5150 I had to start putting them at 5 or 6.... with my 333... I keep them at 3 or 4. Different amps have different midrange.

Got a 333, eh?

Would it do classic rock? I hate to hijack the thread, but I've been looking for an answer to this Q.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
1st of all, the Windsor can do metal on its own.
Second of all, playing a 100 watt stack pretty much means you will never get to crank it(unless you start playing stadiums any time soon) and everyone who plays a tube amp knows how much sweeter they are when cranked. If I were in your position, I would go for the 15 watt head into a 4x12 with an OD of some sort.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
The windsor combo too

Has a power attenuator on it so you can crank those power tubes at any volume you want
windsor doesn't have much in the way of cleans, in case that's something you need. It's fine if you like to play with your guitar's volume knob.