so i have $800

i currently have a yamaha guitar and10W amp i bought at costco
i have been playing for a couple of years and i think its time to buy a new guitar and a better amp

i dont know what to buy and suggestions?
i like to play classic rock and metal
Well for my new rig i'm getting an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II and a Roland Micro Cube for a good practice amp...
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
you could go a low end RG and a roland cube of some sort. or like the guy above me said, an epi would be good.
I'm going to say possibly spend more on the amp. Maybe even save a bit. Yamaha guitars aren't great, I know, but an amp will make that sounds 50 times better than your costco amp. At least the guitar isn't a wal-mart clearance special.
ONLY Avedas knows what he's talking about.

You need a tube combo! Check out the Peavey Valve King 112 and a Marshall JCM 800/900.
Thatll put you back around 400 dollars, leaving you 600 (in a few weeks. Btw do wait a few weeks: youre spending alot of money, you want the best!) for a guitar.

some suggestions;
check out an

Ibanez s520
Ibanez RG prestige (like a 1550/2550/1570)
schechters
Epiphone lp custom
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Last edited by Walternativo at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by Walternativo

You need a tube combo! Check out the Peavey Tube King and a Marshall JCM 800/900.
Thatll put you back around 400 dollars, leaving you 600 (in a few weeks. Btw do wait a few weeks: youre spending alot of money, you want the best!) for a guitar.

some suggestions;
check out an

Ibanez s520
schechters
Epiphone lp custom

It's a peavey valve king champ. And with the extra 200, for what you play, i think something like a Epi Les Paul with a pup change would be good. Maybe some seymour duncan blackouts.
what kind of guitar do you recommend?
i was reading some reviews for epiphones some say they don't see a difference between it and a gibson and others say they suck
Quote by fretsonfire74
It's a peavey valve king champ. And with the extra 200, for what you play, i think something like a Epi Les Paul with a pup change would be good. Maybe some seymour duncan blackouts.

youre right about the amp, thanks. Ill change my post.
Gear
Marshall jcm900
Quote by chris88kolate
im looking at the peavey valve king 112 combo and im considering it

you need to try it before you buy it (like with every piece of gear).
Gear
Marshall jcm900
i was wondering if there is a way to make my yamaha guitar sound better rather than buying a new guitar?
Well, do you like the way your Yamaha feels? And does it have a humbucker in the bridge?

If yes and yes, then focus on a new amp. You can get a Peavey Valve King 212 for about $600. The extra $200 can go into a good distortion pedal, such as the EHX Meal Muff, and maybe a new bridge pickup.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by Walternativo

You need a tube combo! Check out the Peavey Valve King 112 and a Marshall JCM 800/900.

some suggestions;
check out an

Ibanez s470
schechters
Epiphone lp custom

notice the s470 and not the s520
i have a eg112 yamaha i have not modified it in any way
i am used to the feel of it (playing it for 2 years)

i can't make the distortion sound heavy like my friends b.c. rich warlock
Quote by chris88kolate
i have a eg112 yamaha i have not modified it in any way
i am used to the feel of it (playing it for 2 years)

i can't make the distortion sound heavy like my friends b.c. rich warlock

That's all in the amp. The pickups have a very small amount to do with the overall sound other than the fact of whether it's a single coil or humbucker. And a quick google search tells me that the EG112 has a humbucker in the bridge, so I definitely stand by my previous suggestion.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.