Poll Options
View poll results: Which One
Don't Mess
22 30%
Do Mess
51 70%
Voters: 73.
Page 1 of 2
Suppose you were sent back in time, which theory of practice would you use.

Do not mess with anything incase it changes the future.

or

Do whatever you want as you've already been back here and your actions made the future what it was.
i saw a documentary on time travel once. it was all very realistic, untill the object just disapeared and went back in time..
the second makes more sense, but you would have already known what you did, so you have a choice if you want to do as you did or change it, so its a bit of a paradox
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Jonn0
the second makes more sense, but you would have already known what you did, so you have a choice if you want to do as you did or change it, so its a bit of a paradox

Indeed. *head explodes*

As I don't believe time travel is even possible, I wouldn't believe I was actually send back in time. So I'd do whatever the hell I want.
ACTUALLY *enter physics nerd*

nothing you do will alter the future, because all futures exist simultaniously in higher dimensions.

theres a flash movie about the 10 dimensions someplace, go watch that. it makes a lot of things very clear.

EDIT: summed up, it basically means that the past that you entered will merely branch into a different future, but leave the original one unaffected. because both futures existed in the first place, the course of the original timeline can altered without changing the original future, the present from which you came.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Mar 9, 2008,
it doesn't matter what we think, no matter what, we still have to wait until we create the Flux Capacitor! (I saw back to the future last night so i had to put that in here)

really though, i dont think we should mess. it seems like a good idea until we **** up the world by accidently making Buckethead a lawyer or something like that.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Simply because I could breed the pokemon, and act out my sick sexual fantasies between Dittos and Chanseys.

Quote by bequickorbedead
She had sex..with my...AIDS?
Obviously what you do is experiment.

F uck around with s hit, see what happens, video the outcome, then time travel and stop yourself from doing it if it was a bad idea, with video evidence of why it's bad.
If it does get invented and someone goes back and does something.. It might not change anything. Because its already happened if ya get me.

who says Mozart asn't from the future but no one appreciated him, so he time traveled back, impressed everyone with O Fortuna and no one is any wiser
Id so mess.

Id make it so I invented everything, wrote all the best selling books, greatest pieces of music, was the saviour of all the wars...

Id take credit for everything basically... That would require more than one trip though.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Someone get John Titor in here!!!!
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Quote by freedoms_stain
Obviously what you do is experiment.

F uck around with s hit, see what happens, video the outcome, then time travel and stop yourself from doing it if it was a bad idea, with video evidence of why it's bad.

and what if you get eaten by a dinosaur? bet you didn't think about that
Quote by CoreysMonster

nothing you do will alter the future, because all futures exist simultaniously in higher dimensions.

theres a flash movie about the 10 dimensions someplace, go watch that. it makes a lot of things very clear.

EDIT: summed up, it basically means that the past that you entered will merely branch into a different future, but leave the original one unaffected. because both futures existed in the first place, the course of the original timeline can altered without changing the original future, the present from which you came.

This, CoreyMonster wins.
Quote by DeSean
who says Mozart asn't from the future

Me, I say it all the time.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by pbiggie
and what if you get eaten by a dinosaur? bet you didn't think about that

I wasn't really thinking of going back that far.

But in any case, I'd probably take a big ole RPG with me.
do whatever because it's already happened and you'll just help to make that happen.
Watch Red vs Blue, everything will become clear
Quote by CoreysMonster

That's if you believe the ten dimension theory :P
Live life 90 degrees to reality!
Quote by CoreysMonster

Brilliant! This clears up my problem with time travel. I always assumed that if time travel were invented in the future, then the present, past, and future would all have to exist simultaneously, because if you brought something invented in the future to the past then its invention future would have come before the use of it in the past.

One problem: If you go back in time and mess with the past, surely when you travel forward again you won't be going back to the future from which you came, but the future you just created.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by CoreysMonster

Ah, didn't think of that. But it still bears the question if you believe in multiple dimensions, after all it is a theory, not a proven fact as far as I'm concerned. Not to say it wasn't a good point though.
another problem is this: when you travel back in time, you will also have to know exactly where in SPACE to travel as well.

remember, our planet is hurdeling through space at thousands of miles an hour
it wasn't in the same place 20 years ago that it is today.
Quote by CoreysMonster
another problem is this: when you travel back in time, you will also have to know exactly where in SPACE to travel as well.

remember, our planet is hurdeling through space at thousands of miles an hour
it wasn't in the same place 20 years ago that it is today.

Add to that that even if you manage to travel to a time when earth was at the same place as you started from, you cannot possibly know what was in the exact place you start from (with a few exceptions, of course). I imagine being teleported into a dinosaurs butthole is not all that pleasant.
Pretty sure if we could travel back in time, though its not likely for a while, the problems some of you described, ect..ect.. would all be throughly thought out. And we would probably send a chimpanzee or something similar to do all the early dirty work for us. But I think it's possible, just not in this lifetime, at the present it's just an interesting concept to think about.
Quote by teamramrod
Pretty sure if we could travel back in time, though its not likely for a while, the problems some of you described, ect..ect.. would all be throughly thought out. And we would probably send a chimpanzee or something similar to do all the early dirty work for us. But I think it's possible, just not in this lifetime, at the present it's just an interesting concept to think about.

Maybe we send a monkey back in time and that starts off evolution?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Time travel is virtually impossible. And you wouldn't be able to go back in time if you created a wormhole. The past, as far as science is concerned, does not exist.

And even if you did get back in time, you would have already changed things for the future because you would be living the future you created all along.
Quote by Kumanji
Time travel is virtually impossible. And you wouldn't be able to go back in time if you created a wormhole. The past, as far as science is concerned, does not exist.

And even if you did get back in time, you would have already changed things for the future because you would be living the future you created all along.

No, science relies heavily on the past existing. As far as philosophy is concerned, the past does not exist.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
The past is but a human construct. You cannot reach "the past" because it has already happened. The future is the realm of posibility. The past in unreachable, as it were, because it is already set in stone.
Quote by Kumanji
The past is but a human construct. You cannot reach "the past" because it has already happened. The future is the realm of posibility. The past in unreachable, as it were, because it is already set in stone.

Which is why the concept of time travel, ridiculous as you may find it, is so appealing.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Which is why the concept of time travel, ridiculous as you may find it, is so appealing.

Nono, appealing it is The universe is always infinitely weirder than we can ever predict, so I may well be wrong. I hope I am
Life's too short...wait **** that doesn't apply anymore does it now..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
if i could travel back in time, i'd go to 1970 and write stairway to heaven before zep did it, and get some money
Quote by CoreysMonster

you know what, i have a feeling that you've never time travelled, s you can't be so sure of that, as no one has actually time travelled, these are just theories

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Quote by Giant Tool
you know what, i have a feeling that you've never time travelled, s you can't be so sure of that, as no one has actually time travelled, these are just theories

Evolution, gravity, and suchlike, are just theories. But theories often work rather well.
Everything in science is but a collection of theories. Even "proof" is a somewhat misleading idea. If something behaves in a certain way in a certain set of conditions, doesn't mean it will ALWAYS.
Quote by Kumanji

I'd have to disagree, if the past didnt exist, then nothig in the present can exist really can it? If the past doesnt exist, then you would never have been born, and you wouldnt be able to sit here and post on UG
I love the idea of time travel, but I doubt it will happen in any generations to come soon.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by Vermintide
Evolution, gravity, and suchlike, are just theories. But theories often work rather well.

yes i agree, but evolution and gravity have happened, we can tell gravity exists simply because things fall, things orbit etc, the is a lot of evidence for evolution because it has already happened, but time travel has not happened so these theories cannot be proven!!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Page 1 of 2