Title says it all what guitars in the $500 range are good for metal?
Pros and cons to your suggestions please. (:
My Gear:

Epiphone LP-100
Fender Frontman 212R
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Digitech DF-7
Boss DS-1
Boss GT-6
Schecter Damien Special FR
Washburn X50PRO. Mahogany body, maple top, set-in neck, Grover tuners, EMG or SD pickups, Buzz Feiten tuning system. Cons: no bellycut, you might not like the looks.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
ibanez rg350mdx pros locking nut floyd rose 2 humbuckers and a single
cons not an ofr and the middle pickup may get in your way
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Ibanez S320:
Mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard
22 frets and a sleek, comfortable neck
comfortable, light weight body
looks stunning
ZR TREMOLO - THE ONLY RELIABLE DOUBLE LOCKING TREMOLO IN THAT PRICE RANGE

EDIT: The pickups are good, but not great - but they can easily be replaced later on.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by Green_Jelly
Washburn X50PRO. Mahogany body, maple top, set-in neck, Grover tuners, EMG or SD pickups, Buzz Feiten tuning system. Cons: no bellycut, you might not like the looks.

Yeah really nice guitar and amazing value but the lack of belly cut or body contours made it realy uncomfortable to me, so much so that i sold mine.

Not everyone will feel the same way though so if you can stand the lack of contours then it really is a top top guitar and the neck is fantastic
Quote by TheQuailman
Ibanez S320:
Mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard
24 frets and a sleek, comfortable neck
comfortable, light weight body
looks stunning
ZR TREMOLO - THE ONLY RELIABLE DOUBLE LOCKING TREMOLO IN THAT PRICE RANGE

EDIT: The pickups are good, but not great - but they can easily be replaced later on.

the s320 has 24 frets? no it doesn't....

well,try the s470...all the same except the s470 has a single coil...don't know how you'll be using a single coil for metal...but i just like s470s better..

the s-series is ideal anyway...fast neck,excellent trem...a lot of other stuff...just go try the s470 or any other s-series guitars
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by NoobOnZone
the s320 has 24 frets? no it doesn't....

well,try the s470...all the same except the s470 has a single coil...don't know how you'll be using a single coil for metal...but i just like s470s better..

the s-series is ideal anyway...fast neck,excellent trem...a lot of other stuff...just go try the s470 or any other s-series guitars

I just checked, you're right, it has 22 frets. Meh, still good enough I'd say.
Schecter Damien FR

Arched Basswood Body
24 Extra Jumbo Frets
25 1/2" Scale
Passive EMGs

I just bought this guitar and I absolutely love it. It has a great metal sound to it. Even though Im using a sh*ty Behringer V-Amp 2 with a PA system. And I think the black pearl bat inlays are awesome looking. Plus Scecter has a great reputation for quality here in the forums...

Hope this helps!
Good Ultimate-Guitar deals:
s.r.v. / Soapboxhero / dbrettw / laxduck / O00Coolzero00O / 1mmpick

Good Harmony-Central deals:

Quicksilver 689 / antiochband / KjStrat / Critter / guillatool1

Good SevenString.org deals:

Guitarmiester / TMM
Great suggestions everyone
Its making my search a little more easier!

To the Ibanez S series fanatics, would you prefer these over RG's? And to the Ibanez RG fanatics would you prefer these over the S series? Sorry just curious >.<

What about ESP guitars? A friend told me to look into the KH202
My Gear:

Epiphone LP-100
Fender Frontman 212R
Digitech DF-7
Boss DS-1
Boss GT-6
Quote by creativlogic
Schecter Damien FR

Arched Basswood Body
24 Extra Jumbo Frets
25 1/2" Scale
Passive EMGs

I just bought this guitar and I absolutely love it. It has a great metal sound to it. Even though Im using a sh*ty Behringer V-Amp 2 with a PA system. And I think the black pearl bat inlays are awesome looking. Plus Scecter has a great reputation for quality here in the forums...

Hope this helps!

The inlays look sweet, what about the Schecter C-1 FR? The actives are tempting... would they worth the extra $50?
My Gear:

Epiphone LP-100
Fender Frontman 212R
Digitech DF-7
Boss DS-1
Boss GT-6
Go to a store and try some in your price range.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
a nice schecter ... like an omen 6

or try the rg321 mh. its an ibanez. its made of mahogany, which i love the sound of
and its H-H , cool for metal, but it has coil splitting so it has an ALMOST single coil sond to it if you ever need that
wait for the new BC Rich Retro Gunslinger. It will retail for 599$ and it has an original Floyd Rose, Dimarzio Super Distortion, bolt on neck, yellow strat style body, and like 22 frets.

its the 80's all over again!
Ibanez RGA 121 PAF Pro/Evolution 2
Blackheart Little Giant
EH Nano Metal Muff
Ibanez S320. ZR trem, mahogany body, decent pickups, fast as hell neck, looks awesome, plays great.

w00t.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by BrownKid
Great suggestions everyone
Its making my search a little more easier!

To the Ibanez S series fanatics, would you prefer these over RG's? And to the Ibanez RG fanatics would you prefer these over the S series? Sorry just curious >.<

What about ESP guitars? A friend told me to look into the KH202

I'd prefer the S over the RG in that price range, simply because of the tremolo (The EDGE III just doesn't do it for me). Though I saw today that Ibanez builds the cheaper S guitars with some new trem now, the ZR2 or something along the lines. I don't know much about the quality of that trem and I have a feeling it could be a cheaper version of the original ZR. But there are still plenty of S guitars with the original ZR out there, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one of them.
Quote by BrownKid
The inlays look sweet, what about the Schecter C-1 FR? The actives are tempting... would they worth the extra $50?

I like the sound of passive pickups better than actives.
Good Ultimate-Guitar deals:
s.r.v. / Soapboxhero / dbrettw / laxduck / O00Coolzero00O / 1mmpick

Good Harmony-Central deals:

Quicksilver 689 / antiochband / KjStrat / Critter / guillatool1

Good SevenString.org deals:

Guitarmiester / TMM
Quote by GOALIE
wait for the new BC Rich Retro Gunslinger. It will retail for 599$ and it has an original Floyd Rose, Dimarzio Super Distortion, bolt on neck, yellow strat style body, and like 22 frets.

its the 80's all over again!

He's true ya know
Theres also one with real emgs
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by creativlogic
Schecter Damien FR

Arched Basswood Body
24 Extra Jumbo Frets
25 1/2" Scale
Passive EMGs

Hope this helps!

+1 to Schecter those things sound and play like guitars costing twice as much.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by TheQuailman
I just checked, you're right, it has 22 frets. Meh, still good enough I'd say.

yeah...S-series ftw!