Hey all, Does anyone else find the 'ageing' process fender offers a little fake? I love aged fenders (all many guitars) but fenders esp. Something so beautifull and classic looking as faded neck with worn body showing the wood.. BUT part of the allure for me is it representing years of use and abuse (think love) think of all the juicy licks than helped wear the finish. Time machine seems a little fake. Anyone agree/ disagree? Also side question how long does it take to see wear on the body? Years/ decades? My baby is still freash faced
Any old guitar should and does, surpass today's guitars if that's what you mean by aging, but i t may take up to decades to remove the finish, depending how acidic your sweat is, or you could take a chisel and scrape the finish off, it does the same job, not as smooth or natural looking, but zakk wylde did it to one of his paul's. Imo you'll have to love it for a while before anything happens.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Yeah i agree, i think the time machine's are souless imitations. Fender have went mad in recent years. They now offer American standard, vintage and deluxe. Then the same again but Mex. They've got a stupid VG guitar in compititon with Gibsons Robot LP.

They marking the Highway One as a workhorse of a guitar, how the **** can you describe a guitar as a workhorse?

Pretty much what im getting at is they've got too many types, mostly souless. Atleast when gibson went with the guitar a week they came up with really nice guitars.

Ive a 1990 USA Telecaster Plus and even though its had a hard life its not in that bad of shape. Good few dents and scratches!
I know more about wine than guitars. I do know that a naturally aged wine will taste superior to something aged through a chemical process to "speed it up". It is that slow aging of a fine French wine or Cab that really makes it go "WOW" and why those bottles cost big $$$ (think going from $100 a bottle to over $1000).

Same with guitars. You might get it to look old, but the wood won't be aged, the neck won't be polished by a real hand sliding up and down.

Again, an already high quality guitar will probably appreciate in value and "flavor" just like that fine wine. Anything artificial won't be able to compare.

No way it can compare with the real thing!
Quote by Preid
Yeah i agree, i think the time machine's are souless imitations. Fender have went mad in recent years. They now offer American standard, vintage and deluxe. Then the same again but Mex. They've got a stupid VG guitar in compititon with Gibsons Robot LP.

They marking the Highway One as a workhorse of a guitar, how the **** can you describe a guitar as a workhorse?

Pretty much what im getting at is they've got too many types, mostly souless.

And still they don't have enough models to satisfy everyone.
Quote by mr_hankey
And still they don't have enough models to satisfy everyone.

Thats why theres other brands.
Quote by Preid
Thats why theres other brands.

If I want a strat with a fat neck (and I do), there is no other brand to go to. My only choice is to buy a CS Fender, and if I'm spending that much, I might as well get it custom built somewhere else.
a strat with a fat neck?

dude check out the fender srv or jeff ebck signature.
Enough wood on these to satisfy even les paul freaks.
President of the Jeff Beck Club(PM me to join)

Sergeant Destroyer Member Of the KISS army

PM sloopy to join
Most current guitars are finished with polyurethane, not nitro like in the old days. Polyurethane is a tank of a finish, and will not come off easily. I know people who have relic'd, and removing the poly finish was to hardest part. I do not know the specifics as to why nitro is quicker than poly, but it is a lot quicker. Speaking of Fender, the best guitars, I believe the Highway One comes with a nitro finish. But the new American Standard, correct me if I'm wrong. is poly finished.
Quote by thr_wedge
I know more about wine than guitars. I do know that a naturally aged wine will taste superior to something aged through a chemical process to "speed it up". It is that slow aging of a fine French wine or Cab that really makes it go "WOW" and why those bottles cost big $$$ (think going from $100 a bottle to over $1000).

So true my friend. A really nice aged wine really does knock ur socks off!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Ah what! So nitro finished guitars (like my american series) wear a lot less. Is this just abit slower or NEVER under 20years jobby. ??
Quote by heavybloozer
a strat with a fat neck?

dude check out the fender srv or jeff ebck signature.
Enough wood on these to satisfy even les paul freaks.

The SRV's neck is better than most guitars, but not fat enough. Haven't tried the Beck.
^hear the john mayer strats neck is also pretty fat/thick... and the pickups are interesting

edit: i bet if fender made a strat with a short scale pbass neck that'd probably perfect for you.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
edit: i bet if fender made a strat with a short scale pbass neck that'd probably perfect for you.

Quote by mr_hankey
If I want a strat with a fat neck (and I do), there is no other brand to go to. My only choice is to buy a CS Fender, and if I'm spending that much, I might as well get it custom built somewhere else.

Check out a CIJ 62 reissue; I have one and the neck is relatively fat but playable.
Quote by addthelad28
Hey all, Does anyone else find the 'ageing' process fender offers a little fake? I love aged fenders (all many guitars) but fenders esp. Something so beautifull and classic looking as faded neck with worn body showing the wood.. BUT part of the allure for me is it representing years of use and abuse (think love) think of all the juicy licks than helped wear the finish. Time machine seems a little fake. Anyone agree/ disagree? Also side question how long does it take to see wear on the body? Years/ decades? My baby is still freash faced
was english your first language??? but yea aging process is kind of a waste of money
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)