Gday, I am in desperate need of a new amp. I was originally planning to get a Marshall ATX100 i think it was, the valvestate one because i have a really old made in england Marshall 30w valvestate, and although it is very tired, i liked the nice buzz that it had. I bought a randall 1x12" 40w crappy amp, and although it has good mids, the sound quality is terrible.

I was planning to get the Marshall, but someone here said that they are bad, and that there are much better amps available for the money. So i plan to spend max $700USD, and I mainly play metal, but i really play a lot of everything. I want something that will sound good for fat riffs, and also sound clear and of high quality in clean mode. I have an Ibanez rg-p, and a strat with EMG's, although i plan to put some dimarzio passives in the ibanez as the active sound is a bit to full on.

I play mainly metallica, pantera etc, but also lots and lots of other stuff even some flamenco on the elcectric (Dont hate me 4 that), so i need something very versatile

Any recommendations would be great, thanks.
Peavey Valveking combos are pretty versatile. I think the 100 watt is around $600. My uncle uses one for blues and funk, but I've gotten great thrash/death metal tones out of it. You just have to mess with the settings and you can get most anything you want to play.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by e32lover
I play mainly metallica, pantera etc, but also lots and lots of other stuff even some flamenco on the elcectric (Dont hate me 4 that)...

Actually, I hate you because of the Pantera.

You're probably a good candidate for a Valveking. You could get the 50W model and with the money you save get a premium pedal to push it all the way to your tastes in metal. Or you could go with the 100W monster, which probably does teh br00talz better and has a few more features.

Best amp in your price range (or thereabouts) is the Traynor YCV 40 WR, but it probably won't cut the metal on it's own (although it would be close), and you won't have any money left for a pedal.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
That valveking looks pretty good, but the reason in the first place that i was leaning towards a valvestate marshall was because i heard that true tube amps only sound good when their maxed, is this correct?
Tube amps sound their best when they're cranked (or at least "pushed," somewhat), but that doesn't mean they don't sound good at lower volumes. If you're gigging, you want your amp to maximize it's tone at your gigging volume. I play a 30W amp with the volume up less than a third live. Sounds great, if I do say so myself.

You could really get by with the smaller VK, and compensate with a couple quality pedals. I think you'd be in good shape.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Brand new 50 watt Traynor ycv50blue...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Traynor-YCV50BLUE-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Traynor-ycv-50_W0QQitemZ300203932426QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3278QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

600 dollars sounds like a marshall with very good cleans.... you can then get a pedal to push it heavy!

Here is a YCS 50 that may be heavier... I never played on ethough so maybe someone else can shed some light

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traynor-GUITAR-Amp-Custom-50-Watt-All-Tube-Combo-NEW_W0QQitemZ370028364823QQihZ024QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$639

the Traynors will be better then the Valveking IMO
Last edited by stangconv at Mar 9, 2008,
any other recommendations? I will test the peavey, and the trainor too if i can find any stores that sell them (here in Australia), any others for that price range that would suit my preferences?
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by e32lover
any other recommendations? I will test the peavey, and the trainor too if i can find any stores that sell them (here in Australia), any others for that price range that would suit my preferences?

I think that's pretty much it. It's unfortunate you live in Oz because you are bent over and f*cked when it comes to the price of gear.

You probably have to pay $10 for a pick lol

Joking aside it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd go for the Valveking in any case.