So this guy I know that is in Europe won an eBay auction on a bass and had it sent to me. I don't really have any bass gear though.

Is running a bass guitar through a guitar amp, then through a PA cabinet (I have two) alright? I'm assuming the only problem with a bass through a guitar amp is usually the speaker. I also realize since it's a guitar amp, it's probably not going to sound as good as a bass amp.
Yes, it WILL work but you shouldn't use a bass guitar through a guitar amp, or a 6 string guitar through a bass amp. I play bass, my first amp was a 6 string amp and it sounds REALLLLLY bad. Plus the amp is not made for the bass frequencyso it will fry the amp if used to much. Hopefully that helps : )
^You actually can use a guitar through a bass amp and many guitarists prefer it. It is not advisable, however, the other way around because the speakers can't handle those frequencies. Through a PA should be a fine, hopefully temporary, solution.
I think it would be okay as a temporary thing, but you should probably try and get a bass amp as soon as you can.
Quote by #1M
I think it would be okay as a temporary thing, but you should probably try and get a bass amp as soon as you can.

The guy is going to come get the bass sometime in May, so that wouldn't be a great idea.

The question I'm asking is if the amp itself will get messed up? The speakers will be fine, it's just the actual amp that I'm worried about.
Electronic components won't get messed up by low frequencies. It just doesn't happen. So yeah, shove it through a guitar head, it'll work. May not be great tone, but that's a different matter.

Quote by Lasyk
Yes, it WILL work but you shouldn't use a bass guitar through a guitar amp, or a 6 string guitar through a bass amp. I play bass, my first amp was a 6 string amp and it sounds REALLLLLY bad. Plus the amp is not made for the bass frequencyso it will fry the amp if used to much. Hopefully that helps : )

I can tell you for a fact that a shedload of guitarists use bass cabs. Adam Jones of Tool being one. It gets fantastic tone.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Electronic components won't get messed up by low frequencies. It just doesn't happen. So yeah, shove it through a guitar head, it'll work. May not be great tone, but that's a different matter.

Alright, thanks.