why is anchoring looked upon as being a bad thing?? I've seen many guitarists use it, and it doesn't do any harm to them. Dave Mustain, Matt Heafy, Richard Llyod; they all do it. I can play guitar without doing it, but it feels more natural to rest my right arm slightly and very delicately on the guitar. Should I stop, or just do what feels natural??
It's a personal choice - it's a style. It doesn't matter.

Look at MAB, for Christ's sake.
well it depends. if your new to guitar then its best to try to get out of it doing stuff like that and adopt the best technique like they teach you on learning sites and cds.

this is mainly because the best techique will usualy alow you the fastest and more effeciant way to play.

on the other hand, if youve been playing like this for a while and you find you can play really well, without any stumming faults at all. then im sure its probly best not to worry as you will just take yourself out of your usual playing routine and could start doing something else less effective.

this is all really based on theory and the fact that i have a bad habbit of putting my little finger under high E string when muting and stuff. i was thinking of doing somthing about it, but realised that if its comfertable and not pissing my playing up, why the hell not.

hope this helped

-chris-
Well, seeing as many guitarists use it, I don't see why I shouldn't if it feels comfortable to me. Thanks for the help, everyone.
sometimes you will want to play a song or a solo where resting your arm on the body or any other "comfort" technique will slow you down, so some minor changes are in order.

you will probably find that the minor change(es) will benefit your playing as a whole because what you learn from one piece will spill over into other pieces, both technically and musically.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by chillrock
sometimes you will want to play a song or a solo where resting your arm on the body or any other "comfort" technique will slow you down, so some minor changes are in order.

you will probably find that the minor change(es) will benefit your playing as a whole because what you learn from one piece will spill over into other pieces, both technically and musically.

I like this idea, and I could probably use the idea of "not anchoring" during some passages.
I like having good arm control. I can't learn and improve good arm control while my finger/wrist is in a fixed position.

Thats part of my reason. The other part is that i feel i can get a more relaxed technique unanchored.
epic7734
i've found that, over time, you master certain techniques and which one(s) you employ in a song is a subconscious choice.

a good example of one of my own "breakthroughs", if you want to call it that, is "I Don't Know" by Ozzy. everything except the solo is a doddle, and then again there was only really one part of the solo that i had trouble with. ironically i heard about this "anchoring" technique and that is precisely the technique i use when i come to that particular passage in the solo!

also, using different techniques, especially related to picking, can really change the sound you make, and in most cases i've found that the subtlest of technique change/experimenting can really alter the sound and feel.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
This is never really what i understood. Is anchoring using your pinky and/or your other fingers which your not holding the pick with, and using them for support, such as holding them against the body of guitar? Or is it resting your arm on the guitar, and resting your hand on the bridge? I rest my arm on the guitar and rest my hand on the strings(for palm muting and getting rid of unwanted noise) Does this mean that im "anchoring"?
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
i don't think so - i think what people mean by anchoring is that they tense up their middle, ring or small finger and press down on the body so that your picking hand can move in 2 directions: up and down. the only part of your body that should be tense while anchoring is the finger with which you are anchoring. that allows the rest of your body and most importantly your picking hand to remain relaxed, which is essential for successful shred or fast alternate picking, so i hear.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Anchoring can be bad but it really depends on the person. MAB anchors and he still shreds, but from personal experience, I used to anchor and like so many others I eventually hit a wall in my playing. Ever since I stopped anchoring, my playing has improved 10 fold.
Quote by chillrock
i don't think so - i think what people mean by anchoring is that they tense up their middle, ring or small finger and press down on the body so that your picking hand can move in 2 directions: up and down. the only part of your body that should be tense while anchoring is the finger with which you are anchoring. that allows the rest of your body and most importantly your picking hand to remain relaxed, which is essential for successful shred or fast alternate picking, so i hear.

wait a minute, none of my fingers are tense, at all. I just want to know if it's ok to rest my right arm on the guitar.
yes, i guess it is but your position is going to change if you pick up a different guitar. i dont think that you should put a lot of weight on the guitar, because that would impair your playing.

try different positions, and the position where you are the most relaxed is probably the best position for you with that guitar.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by bigtimber112
why is anchoring looked upon as being a bad thing?? I've seen many guitarists use it, and it doesn't do any harm to them. Dave Mustain, Matt Heafy, Richard Llyod; they all do it. I can play guitar without doing it, but it feels more natural to rest my right arm slightly and very delicately on the guitar. Should I stop, or just do what feels natural??

well 1st of all, its important to understand what anchoring actually is. if you mean that you rest your arm on the guitar like this:

then your not actually anchoring and have nothing to worry about. Its normal to rest your arm on the guitar is in this picture.

If your pressing your fingers onto the guitar...... as in putting pressure on them to the point where it limits the movement of your hand. then your anchoring.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
well 1st of all, its important to understand what anchoring actually is. if you mean that you rest your arm on the guitar like this:

then your not actually anchoring and have nothing to worry about. Its normal to rest your arm on the guitar is in this picture.

If your pressing your fingers onto the guitar...... as in putting pressure on them to the point where it limits the movement of your hand. then your anchoring.

ah......ok. I guess that i only anchor at certain times, but not that often, I don't think. I guess that I had mixed up the definition of anchoring with resting my arm on the guitar. Thanks for the help.
Quote by bigtimber112
ah......ok. I guess that i only anchor at certain times, but not that often, I don't think. I guess that I had mixed up the definition of anchoring with resting my arm on the guitar. Thanks for the help.

NP. Always glad to stop the spread of Anchorphobia
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by one vision
They see me anchorin... They hatin.

fail. :P
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
If you anchor hard, you're going to wind up with a repetitive strain injury, most likely carpal tunnel syndrome. Just ask Steve Morse.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.