My head is tied in knots about boss DS-1 pedals...

Apparently, they were made in Japan until about 1990, then the opamp chips were replaced in 1994 which resulted in changing to the modern standard of power supplies... then they were changed again in 2000, and supposedly this new version sucks compared to the original, and is really harsh and thin sounding.

So.. will a brand new DS-1 give me the rough and raw, gritty crunch i'm looking for, or will it just sound weak? I know the older DS-1s had the exact tone i was looking for, but are these new models going to do it? Some people say they sound different, others say there is no difference...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
why not a ds-2?
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
Quote by Yeathatwasme
why not a ds-2?

Because supposedly its the same with the DS-2... and because i'm a bit stuck for cash at the moment
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

o ok, well i got mine about 4 months ago and it sounds pretty weak
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
Personally i hate the new ones. I had one for a week, hated it and took it back. I havent had the chance to compare a new one to an old one, but going from what people tell me they arent the same at all. I doubt that a new one will give you a raw crunch sound, as thats what i wanted and was unable to get from it.

To be fair tho, you have a better amp than I do, so it may be better for you.
dude, dont bother with a ds-1. i got one thinking it will be completly badass, but the sound is small and nasaly no matter how lous ur amp is
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
DS-1s suck. Get a metal muff and just turn it back or a DS-2. They sound pretty different.
Hopefully i can find a place where i can try one out in a store through my amp - theres somewhere local that has everything boss except the DS-1... Or i could just do what everyone's been saying, wait a little longer and get a DS-2.