I know this has been done to death but I need some opinions or even better "audio samples" of some quality dirt boxes. Unfortunetly I dont have the means to try out the good ones myself as there is no guitar center in my area and all the other places nearby only have digitech, boss, and line6...

I'm looking for a good heavy hard rock type of sound not metal by the way (not death metal anyway) with lots of smooth sustain and saturation when cranked and some thickening/breakup on lower levels and good lower mids. Think nineties alternative hard rock or seventies metal. My amp has one channel (all tube) so I'm thinking about using it for clean with the pedal as a "second channel" for heavier stuff. versatility is a plus.

If there is another forum that has this covered dont hesitate to refer me to that, otherwise any opinions are welcome.
I play through a peavey butcher. All tube, one channel. I use a digitech bad monkey, a marshall blues screamer, and a marshall governor. They all three give great sound. Especiall if you drive the amp. The bad monkey is a great box for that seventies type sound.
Why don't you look up the English Muff'n then, apparantly its quite versatile.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by PendulousThread
Why don't you look up the English Muff'n then, apparantly its quite versatile.

I was gunna suggest that too, i just got one and it can really give awsome 70's overdrive and go into 80's hard rock, but i'm not too sure about 90's alternaitve by itself
hmmm, I didnt know the english muff'n was so popular... I havent really heard much about it to be honest, I will try to find samples. The little big muff seems like a likely choice, I like the smashing pumpkins (siamese dream) sound but I have always heard people say the big muff is a one trick pony.
Well the english muff'n is fairly new ands its sorta true about the big muff but the english is where ur versatility is, obviously now were talking about buying 2 pedals and I dont know about your budget......
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
I dont really have a budget but I dont want to spend more than like $150 on a dirt box as I have a wah to think about, my cybaby is past its prime. I checked out the bad monkey and was pretty surprised at the tone considering its just a crap digitoy. Nice and amp like.