Alright, so I woke up this morning and went to play my bass...

The action felt noticeably lower than it had been the night before. If I bumped my bass with something the night before (a yoga ball), would the action have changed?

Could it be the weather? It is freezing outside, but I don't think that would affect my action...

Is there any way I could see if my action was lower than the "common" action, or is it all based on preference...

Can I measure the action somehow and let you guys know?

Anyways, thanks for the help.
its all about preference
if you like your new low action just play it like that
if you liked the old action just raise it
its all up to you
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Check the bridge is okay...if you've knocked your bass and it's made the action lower it's because there's something wrong with the saddles. You can measure the distance between the strings and the fret at the twelfth fret if you want a point of comparison. If there's no fret noise and it feels playable then I wouldn't worry about it, otherwise do a setup.

If you don't know how to do a setup there's a good guide in the FAQ - link in my sig.
Quote by Enyab
Could it be the weather? It is freezing outside, but I don't think that would affect my action...

The temperature and humidity can affect tuning, intonation and action. If its very cold then the wood will contract, if it's hot, it will expand.

Humidity plays more of a part with classical guitars. If you're a classical player you'll know how much of a bitch it is to tune after every song as the club gets more and more humid throughout your set.

Idealy, you should keep your bass somewhere where the humidity and temperature are fairly stable. This means keeping it away from windows, radiators, air conditioning units etc.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I measured it and it is 6mm (0.6cm) approx.

It feels a lot different to play, especially when I am playing scales. Am I going to get used to playing fast with this action?
Last edited by Enyab at Mar 9, 2008,
Where are you measuring from?

Is that above the 12th fret? And for which string?

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9