My current setup: Epi Les Paul, Palomino V32, and a Marshall guv'nor 2 distortion pedal aren't quite cutting it anymore. I want a heavier sound. I love the cleans I get, but I was thinking about going with an EHX Metal Muff to give me the possibility of going as high of gain as I'll ever want. I was also thinking about getting an inexpensive multi-effects pedal to really find what sound I'm looking for. The one that really popped out to me was the Digitech RP350. I wanna hear your opinions on these pedals and if you think they will fit the bill.

Thanks!
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.
I generally hear good things about the metal muff, though I've never tried one. Multi-fx pedals are good for what you're talking about though, trying to find what fx you like. In comparisons with single effects the multi usually isn't as good.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You could get a multi effects but chances are, you'll never be satisfied with the tones. I had a GT-8 and I was never happy with it. The Metal Muff is pretty cool sounding. I prefer amp drive though. Pedals don't really cut it.

Try a Guyatone MMX Metal Master. They sound pretty killer.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I agree but my amp will never get past classic rock on its own. And I certainly am not in the position to buy a new one anytime soon. Thanks to all.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.
Quote by metrobunny61
I agree but my amp will never get past classic rock on its own. And I certainly am not in the position to buy a new one anytime soon. Thanks to all.

Did you try boosting the front end with an OD? The Palomino series amplifiers can get pretty heavy with a little boost.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
try a maxon od808 or the other maxon od pedal. if it's a tube amp that'll do wonders for it.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Would an OD over overdrive channel really push it into metal territory?
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

^^Very true. A bad monkey will do well on a budget. Great pedal for fifty dollars.

^I've never personally tried it, but you should be able to go much heavier with the gain very high on the amp and the level and gain fairly high on whatever OD you get.
Quote by bite_the_bullet
try a maxon od808 or the other maxon od pedal. if it's a tube amp that'll do wonders for it.

I second that.

The OD808 is my favourite tubescreamer-sounding pedal, but it might not be "heavy" sounding enough for you. I'm not sure what the Palomino sounds like cause i've never played one though.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I find a overdrive pedal and overdrive channel makes a really awful tone
awfully muddy, and excessively noisey.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
what kind of sound are you looking for?
like band wise?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
^^ It doesn't work with a solid state amp.
I'm not really looking for any other bands sound. But in my current band, the other guitar players sound is a lot more aggressive. Also, is there a large difference between the original tubescreamer and any of its offshoot counterparts? Or the difference between a Ts9 or an 808?
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Quote by Kevin Saale
^^ It doesn't work with a solid state amp.

the Palomino is a SS
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
The metal muff will get you a nice sound! Although you should consider a 2 pedal setup again. I use a Boss MT-2 and a Dtech DF-7 with the gain at max on the MT-2 and the gain at minimum on the DF-7. Guitar with EMGs into Random pedal into DF-7 - MT-2 adn theres almost no sensible way you can get higher gain. Two pedals gives you crunch AND searing gain.

Not to sure about the Dtech RP350 I tend to find most multis too water, that being said I rely on my Dtech DF-7 so not really sure.
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Quote by metrobunny61
I'm not really looking for any other bands sound. But in my current band, the other guitar players sound is a lot more aggressive. Also, is there a large difference between the original tubescreamer and any of its offshoot counterparts? Or the difference between a Ts9 or an 808?

i meant like examples. to give us an idea of how heavy you want it. right now we have no idea because there are many degrees of 'heavy'.

personally, i would go with the 808.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
the Palomino is a SS

The palomino is all tube....
The V32 is a 30 watt tube. And I thought about putting another pedal next to my marshall. But even just combining the marshall and the amps overdrive gets god awful results.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

It's because it's a distortion pedal. An OD pedal is a totally different beast.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The palomino is all tube....

i meant to say isnt, not is.
oops.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
the Palomino is a SS

The Palomino V32 is an all valve amplifier.

Don't crank the gain on the OD. Put the level on full and add a tiny amount of gain on the pedal with your amp's distortion quite high.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Addressing the how heavy question: Not like modern metal exactly. But we are a hard rock band. and right now im just below the mark I need to be at. I'd rather over-compensate, and be able to comfortably dial down to get what I want.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Quote by metrobunny61
Addressing the how heavy question: Not like modern metal exactly. But we are a hard rock band. and right now im just below the mark I need to be at. I'd rather over-compensate, and be able to comfortably dial down to get what I want.

You have a Gov'nor 2 right? Try putting it over the drive channel and set the volume on full and the gain low.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
The only problem with putting my marshall on low gain over the drive channel is that the amp is voiced pretty classical. and that comes through a whole lot. and it gets kinda fuzzy.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You have a Gov'nor 2 right? Try putting it over the drive channel and set the volume on full and the gain low.

+1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by metrobunny61
The only problem with putting my marshall on low gain over the drive channel is that the amp is voiced pretty classical. and that comes through a whole lot. and it gets kinda fuzzy.

I've boosted Palomino amps many times. They don't sound fuzzy at all. How do you have the amp set?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster