Poll: what do you think of this idea?
Poll Options
View poll results: what do you think of this idea?
good idea
63 62%
no bad idea
39 38%
Voters: 102.
Page 1 of 2
i was watching this movie in my health class about anorexia and it showed this girl who was about to die in the hospital. the only way the doctors could save her was to give her a feeding tube. but she kept on refusing. i know that its our right to refuse treatment, but this girls brain was obviously controlled by the disease. there was no way she was capable of making a good decision, she couldnt even control herself.

i was wondering what the pit would think about having a law that states that any person who is incapable to make decisions do to disease or head trauma ect, should automatically be given treatment.
Honestly, someone who starts to be anorexic has issues already.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by Slinov
Yeah, but with that, doesn't it bring forth the discussion about Euthanasia (sp?) and how some people would unethically kill off relatives just for inheritance purposes?

im talking about if a person is close to death from like anorexia and refuses a feeding tube. this way they will get it anyway
You make anorexia sound like it physically affecting their brain.

It's not a disease, it's a disorder.

And in the case of anorexia I believe it should maybe be okay to force feed... though that'll make the mental state of the patient worse... guh.

EDIT:
Quote by ratmblink123
Honestly, someone who starts to be anorexic has issues already.

It's not a choice
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
That is an exceptionally bad idea, How do you know for sure if someones being controlled by a disease? Anorexia clearly isnt a mind altering disease, if she wants to die let her
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Meh, let the Anorexics die. All they'll do is make little anorexic babies.

Natural selection FTW.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

And in the case of anorexia I believe it should maybe be okay to force feed... though that'll make the mental state of the patient worse... guh.

EDIT:

It's not a choice

real ****ty situation
It's not always a choice you make. Anorexia is a disease that makes you feel that you don't want to eat, like you don't have an appetite. Therefore, it can't always be helped, so the poll doesn't have the answer i'm looking for: It depends on the situation.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Quote by willy_99
if you want to die, they should let you

She dosn't want to die, she's got anorexia, research foo!
I'm sure they could just have her sectioned and then she has no right to refuse treatment.
No way dude. Being bipolar, if I ever get it into my head that I should jump off the Empire State Building in an attempt to fly, because I believe I'm superman, you assholes need to let me. You never know.. I might be able to do it, and if you don't let me.. You're out the worlds first super hero.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by joeyc
im talking about if a person is close to death from like anorexia and refuses a feeding tube. this way they will get it anyway

to be honest, if it's law and the person still refuses, who would go to prison/be charged? The patient, who is about to die/is dead, or the doctor for "not trying hard enough" or something like that?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
No way dude. Being bipolar, if I ever get it into my head that I should jump off the Empire State Building in an attempt to fly, because I believe I'm superman, you assholes need to let me. You never know.. I might be able to do it, and if you don't let me.. You're out the worlds first super hero.

ROFL nice
Quote by Slinov
to be honest, if it's law and the person still refuses, who would go to prison/be charged? The patient, who is about to die/is dead, or the doctor for "not trying hard enough" or something like that?

hmm good point. but if the person is that weak they could easily overpower the person
Quote by xAbyssusx
She dosn't want to die, she's got anorexia, research foo!

well if she is refusing the feeding tube, she clearly wants to die so let her. no matter what disorder you have.
Quote by bob farrell
That is an exceptionally bad idea, How do you know for sure if someones being controlled by a disease? Anorexia clearly isnt a mind altering disease, if she wants to die let her

Males can't be anorexic, did you know

Quote by mrfinkle213
It's not always a choice you make. Anorexia is a disease that makes you feel that you don't want to eat, like you don't have an appetite. Therefore, it can't always be helped, so the poll doesn't have the answer i'm looking for: It depends on the situation.

+3409680943804

EDIT:
Quote by willy_99
well if she is refusing the feeding tube, she clearly wants to die so let her. no matter what disorder you have.

NO, anorexia isn't a want to die, it's a want to be pretty i.e. skinny as fook, but they don't realise what it's doing to them.

Ignorance to things like this stresses me outtttt ://
Quote by SteveHouse
If they don't want treatment; I say that it's their choice. No matter how much it's for their own good.

EDIT: 'No matter how much it's for their own good.' - Maybe that was going a bit too far. I meant, depending on how bad the state the person is in.
There already are laws that state, if you are incapable of making decisions for yourself then doctors, next of kin, etc. have the right to make those decisions for you. Regarding health care anyway. It falls under implied consent. Meaning that the doctors could assume that if the person were of sound mind, they would consent to the treatment.
Quote by Greenie_777
I'm sure they could just have her sectioned and then she has no right to refuse treatment.

Yea, i totally agree. Im sure (at least in the UK) she would have been sectioned under the mental health act and treatment given to her regardless of any fuss she made about it. She was/is obviously a danger to herself and so it would not take long for her to be sectioned in any UK hospital.
Anorexia? More like Anor-sexy-a.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
As long as this law won't be abused, yes.
But obviously it will be abused so I voted no.
If someone wants to refuse treatment then let them, unless they are actually nuts, in which case a family member shud make the choice, but they have to be properly crazy, unable to make any decision
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Quote by Rabid
It depends apon the situation. If it is anorexia and they are going to think they are fat anyways, then yes, force feed them. If they are in a coma and cant make a decision themselves, i say its not right to pull the plug.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
Quote by austinarcadium
It depends apon the situation. If it is anorexia and they are going to think they are fat anyways, then yes, force feed them. If they are in a coma and cant make a decision themselves, i say its not right to pull the plug.

How can you say that, force feed them. If they are sane, and they wanna die, just chuck um out of whatever facility theyre in and let em die, forcing stuff down them aint right
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Quote by Rabid
Quote by bob farrell
How can you say that, force feed them. If they are sane, and they wanna die, just chuck um out of whatever facility theyre in and let em die, forcing stuff down them aint right

Because people who starve themselves are completely rational.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
i think they should go ahead with any kind of proceedure. if they're beyond making a rational choice.

but i also think it should be free. if your gonna do something they may not like, why charge em when they wake up?
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
The girl being described here probably has an underlying mental condition ,considering how extremely ****ed up this is.
there is a law that people who are deemed mentally unstable don't have the right to refuse treatment their doctor feels is appropriate.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Retrobution
Actually males can be anorexic,

Well done... lol

I was being sarcastic... perhaps the rest of UG was just being dim
Quote by SteveHouse
Someone who's suffering from anorexia is not considered to be in a stable mindset and should be fed.

EDIT:

Quote by esther_mouse
there is a law that people who are deemed mentally unstable don't have the right to refuse treatment their doctor feels is appropriate.

+1
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by xAbyssusx
Sedate her and shove it down he throat, this is a solution to all lifes problems

Yeah, that's how I got my first blowjob!
It's their decision. It's like that movie 'Who's Life is it Anyway', they wanted to declare a perfectly sane man who was paralyzed from the neck down insane in order to perform treatment on him that he didn't want. Ideally it would be good but no one has the right to make decisions for you about your body.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

EDIT:

It's not a choice

Deprivation of vitamins, minerals and other sustenance necssary for normal operation can definitely physically affect one's brain and central nervous system.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by Slinov
Yeah, but with that, doesn't it bring forth the discussion about Euthanasia (sp?) and how some people would unethically kill off relatives just for inheritance purposes?

i don't think so, 'cause i would contradict the hypocratic oath
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by ctb
If they don't want treatment; I say that it's their choice. No matter how much it's for their own good.

EDIT: 'No matter how much it's for their own good.' - Maybe that was going a bit too far. I meant, depending on how bad the state the person is in.

exactly
Page 1 of 2