I've run into a problem recently with my pickups... I pretty much have to have both of them turned up in order to have a good sound. If I turn one off, I get a really frustrating buzzing from my amp. I'm not sure if it's my pickups or my amp. I still suck at the hardware end up playing the bass, so if there's an easy answer to this I'd love to hear it.

I'm using a Squire Affinity J-bass and a Line6 Studio110 amp.

Thanks in advance!
that happens with most single pickups(j)
if you have 2 j pickups they cancel their noises(hum) but if you have only one working the noise will not be canceled
that why people uses humbuckers(P in bass)
but you can reduce noise by not playing near a tv a computer or anything like that

BTW you meant squier right?
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus

BTW you meant squier right?

Whoops! It just comes out at Squire in my mind, I keep forgetting it's spelled Squier.

Also, I'll try my bass with another amp as soon as I can. I don't have access to another bass right now.
Quote by flapz
Whoops! It just comes out at Squire in my mind, I keep forgetting it's spelled Squier.

Also, I'll try my bass with another amp as soon as I can. I don't have access to another bass right now.

it must be your bass the same thing happen with most J pickups
but try with other amp just to be sure
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
How about if you turn both pickups half way - do this by turning down one pickup and then turning down the volume on the other until the noise goes - does that work? If so then it's perfectly ordinary singcoil hum, albeit louder than usual. Try moving away from anything electrical when you play (other than your amp, of course)