Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

urm basically i have applied for Music Practise Btec, and there will be an interview and am asked to play a short peice cover (i think) or your own (i think).

My question is what are they going to ask me in my interview?

Also i am going to play:

You Give Love A Bad Name - By Bon Jovi.

and

Nothing Else Matters - By Metallica.

Will that be enough, would those two songs wow them, or do i need to learn songs like Fur Elise.? or master Of Puppets.?

Okay thanks.

I have just started to learn theory and all i can do on atheory is read couple of notes and play a scale but the dude told me to leanr all the major scale which i am trying to leanr on the internet http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/major-scale.html .

Anyways please need PLEASE comments A.S.A.P.

Also how can i upload pictures?
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused
i'd feel very gutted If I don't get In.
Quote by killedbyaspork
Quote by litelbrown
where is this?

Mid - Kent - College - In - Horsted. - You?
Quote by killedbyaspork
How would either of those songs show a proficiency on guitar?
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Quote by forwhomthebells
Hey guys,

urm basically i have applied for Music Practise Btec, and there will be an interview and am asked to play a short peice cover (i think) or your own (i think).

Also i am going to play:

and

Will that be enough, would those two songs wow them, or do i need to learn songs like Fur Elise.? or master Of Puppets.?

Okay thanks.

I have just started to learn theory and all i can do on atheory is read couple of notes and play a scale but the dude told me to leanr all the major scale which i am trying to leanr on the internet http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/major-scale.html .

They ask for two pieces of different styles, little bit of sight-reading (comes with tab don't worry) and general questions about music. I passed it, you can too!
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Are you sure that isn't Music Performance? They have that at my college and it's not difficult at all to get in, there are some really untalented people there. Keep in mind, however, that you'll just be practising covers all day long. It'll teach you next to nothing, we see the people doing performance as those who aren't smart enough to do Music Tech.
You'll get in, seriously, sorry to say it but I know people doing BTECs who can hardly play 5 chords.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
I applied for a Btec in music practice this year. They only asked me questions, didnt have to perform.

Got accepted tho. Pwnt.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
You'll get in, seriously, sorry to say it but I know people doing BTECs who can hardly play 5 chords.

But the dude was like how is your theory like?

and i was like i have just started to lean theory.
Quote by killedbyaspork
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Are you sure that isn't Music Performance? They have that at my college and it's not difficult at all to get in, there are some really untalented people there. Keep in mind, however, that you'll just be practising covers all day long. It'll teach you next to nothing, we see the people doing performance as those who aren't smart enough to do Music Tech.

This is Music Performance.

Quote by killedbyaspork
I don't think they care about pop music. And if you're just learning theory/music reading now, I would strongly suggest that you re-think what you're goals should be. Theory is something that is garnered over years of practice and study, and you should be able to fluently read notes, sight read. I would suggest that you play something more classical like maybe Pachelbel's Cannon in D? That's well know, or if you're going for jazz, try a more contemporary approach, with a jazz song, maybe by Gillespie, or Davis or something. But I would really give a long and serious look at if you're ready for that.

EDIT: Wait, five chords, what kind of course is this??
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Does Your Theory Have To Be Good?
Quote by killedbyaspork
Quote by cashewchaching
I don't think they care about pop music. And if you're just learning theory/music reading now, I would strongly suggest that you re-think what you're goals should be. Theory is something that is garnered over years of practice and study, and you should be able to fluently read notes, sight read. I would suggest that you play something more classical like maybe Pachelbel's Cannon in D? That's well know, or if you're going for jazz, try a more contemporary approach, with a jazz song, maybe by Gillespie, or Davis or something. But I would really give a long and serious look at if you're ready for that.

EDIT: Wait, five chords, what kind of course is this??

Are you saying i sholdn't do this?
Quote by killedbyaspork
Quote by forwhomthebells
This is Music Performance.

Eh, you'll learn seems to be their attitude. As long as you're able to pick it up you're fine. As long as you're willing to.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by sadistic_monkey

There's nothing wrong with the techies, I probably could do trad, but prefer tech.

Anyway, on topic, you might want to think about learning at least some basic theory before you attempt the interview, they'll probably ask you about how much you know.
Quote by StaggHound
That's the problem with kids today. No upper body strength.
Back in my day, when you smashed a guitar, it stayed smashed.

Cunning Pikes

The one and only member of the Cunning Pike Club.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
Eh, you'll learn seems to be their attitude. As long as you're able to pick it up you're fine. As long as you're willing to.

I am really willing to do it all. But what I wanna know Is that. DOES MY THEORY HAVE TO BE GOOD?
Quote by killedbyaspork
Well, I was thinking of normal music classes, and if you were dealing with those, I would say that you shouldn't, but this class sounds like a pushover class, in which case, why not?

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by forwhomthebells
I am really willing to do it all. But what I wanna know Is that. DOES MY THEORY HAVE TO BE GOOD?

NO, IF YOU'RE WILLING TO LEARN YOU JUST HAVE TO SHOW THEM THAT AND THEN YOU CAN LEARN THEORY WHILE YOU'RE ON THE COURSE. Sorry, I thought that that's what I was saying in the first place.
Quote by cashewchaching
Well, I was thinking of normal music classes, and if you were dealing with those, I would say that you shouldn't, but this class sounds like a pushover class, in which case, why not?

Wait do you mean i need to know alot on Theory.

And what sort of questions would they ask me?
Quote by killedbyaspork
Quote by forwhomthebells

MAYBE???

but seriously, it helps immensely, and seperates novices from true musicians.

EDIT: Again, I don't know about this class, but for normal collegiate music classes, you need to know all of your scales, know how to play your instrument forwards and backwards, know how to construct chords, and what chords would go where, what scales to improvise on over what chords, etc. They don't care about whether you can tap, or sweep pick, slap, downtune, they don't care about any of that. They just want to know if you know theory, and if you can apply that theory to your instrument to play it well.

Last edited by cashewchaching at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by daniel.mycoe
They ask for two pieces of different styles, little bit of sight-reading (comes with tab don't worry) and general questions about music. I passed it, you can too!

What sort of questions would they ask dear matey? and how good is your theory?
Quote by killedbyaspork
What the hell is BTEC? And how do you get into a music performance degree only knowing 5 chords? When I was auditioning for schools, they only picked the very best, and depending on the instrument and current size of the studio, they only accepted between 2-7 students per year.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
What the hell is BTEC? And how do you get into a music performance degree only knowing 5 chords? When I was auditioning for schools, they only picked the very best, and depending on the instrument and current size of the studio, they only accepted between 2-7 students per year.

The BTEC Nationals are vocational qualifications to prepare students equally for direct entry into employment or for progression to higher education. The qualification has three sizes, all at National Qualifications Framework Level 3: BTEC National Award, BTEC National Certificate and BTEC National Diploma.

ouch dude, did you get in?
Quote by killedbyaspork
So does my theory have to be good? can someone answer me?
Quote by killedbyaspork
Quote by forwhomthebells
So does my theory have to be good? can someone answer me?

I did. It'd help, but as long as you're willing to work on it they'll take you!
Quote by DigUpHerBones
I did. It'd help, but as long as you're willing to work on it they'll take you!

But i only know few notes and one scale lol. would they accept me? lol but i mean i am fluent at tabs lol.
Quote by killedbyaspork
When's the interview?
Learn a few more scales beforehand and learn your alphabet. It'll just give a decent impression, especially if you said that you've just learnt all of this stuff.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
When's the interview?
Learn a few more scales beforehand and learn your alphabet.

I have no idea lol they are going to post the date lol.

but how many major scales are there?
Quote by killedbyaspork
Quote by forwhomthebells
I have no idea lol they are going to post the date lol.

but how many major scales are there?

Lots and lots and lots .
Learn a basic pentatonic, major and minor shape which you can transfer around the fretboard. You can get lessons on them here.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
Lots and lots and lots .
Learn a basic pentatonic, major and minor shape which you can transfer around the fretboard. You can get lessons on them here.

Okay thanks man one more question how good was your theory before you got into college?
Quote by killedbyaspork
Quote by forwhomthebells
Hey guys,

Also i am going to play:

and

Okay thanks.

Which college are you applying to go to? I'm currently doing it at preston it's awesome. I didn't know any theory at all before going there. Either of those should do, you just have to show you can play competently is all.
Quote by forwhomthebells
Okay thanks man one more question how good was your theory before you got into college?

I'm not in college, but I know people doing BTECs.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
I'm not in college, but I know people doing BTECs.

oh okay but is your theory good in general?
Quote by killedbyaspork
Quote by Joelieo
Which college are you applying to go to? I'm currently doing it at preston it's awesome. I didn't know any theory at all before going there. Either of those should do, you just have to show you can play competently is all.

Wait ur doin it in Uni?

anyways im hopefully going to do it in Mid Kent college in Horsted.

Did they ask you about your theory?

also did you had to get through an interview?
Quote by killedbyaspork
Quote by forwhomthebells
oh okay but is your theory good in general?

It's decent I guess... I know some scales, I can transfer scales without learning them, I know the notes on the fretboard and I know a thing or two about chord construction. Why?
Quote by DigUpHerBones
It's decent I guess... I know some scales, I can transfer scales without learning them, I know the notes on the fretboard and I know a thing or two about chord construction. Why?

Just wondering.

Thanks.
Quote by killedbyaspork
Quote by forwhomthebells
Just wondering.

Thanks.

Okay, pleasure .
Quote by forwhomthebells
Wait ur doin it in Uni?

anyways im hopefully going to do it in Mid Kent college in Horsted.

Did they ask you about your theory?

also did you had to get through an interview?

No I'm at preston college doing it. They did ask about my theory but said it wasn't an issue. Most of the group had to pass a performance assesment after the first 4 weeks to stay on the course but I was a late comer transferring from another course at another college so I didn't have to do it.

You realize it's not just playing also right? You produce, engineer, play as part of a band. learn to program midi and learn the history of rock music in the 19th century. It's an immense course tbh.

I love every minute of it!
Page 1 of 2