Now phrasing should be a personal thing, but you know, sometimes you like to have that certain "signature" sound. Like when doing pirate metal or something silly like that :p

My phrasing is much like Mattias "IA" Eklundh's in the Fate days and from the early Freak Kitchen days (Appetizer), but of course not completely. I'm not him by any means, and I don't want to be He's just influenced me much.

Now what I need, is to write catchy melodies that can repeat themselves a couple of times without sounding bad. Something like Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) or some of Steve Vai's stuff (where it repeats itself).

Can anyone help me analyse their phrasing?
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
As in a motiff type melody thingies? Listen to some Bach. You'll get plenty of ideas.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by PhantomNote
Now phrasing should be a personal thing, but you know, sometimes you like to have that certain "signature" sound. Like when doing pirate metal or something silly like that :p

My phrasing is much like Mattias "IA" Eklundh's in the Fate days and from the early Freak Kitchen days (Appetizer), but of course not completely. I'm not him by any means, and I don't want to be He's just influenced me much.

Now what I need, is to write catchy melodies that can repeat themselves a couple of times without sounding bad. Something like Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) or some of Steve Vai's stuff (where it repeats itself).

Can anyone help me analyse their phrasing?

what you might consider is learning their phrases..... and then get creative with them. Try expanding on them..... different keys.... change up the rythem. Use what they have done as a catalyst for your own creativity.

as far as it being a "personal thing"..... that goes for everything. Phrasing is phrasing. Learning that from someone else is no different than learning anything from someone else. If you add your own creativity, you will still end up with your own unique thing.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by metal4all
As in a motiff type melody thingies? Listen to some Bach. You'll get plenty of ideas.

Exactly. And will do. I've only really listened to Stravinsky, because he's the "composer" (as in, acoustic old fashioned instruments :p) I really like. But haven't heard too much Bach lately, so yup.

Anyone else?

edit: Good man GuitarMunky.

I still need moar, keep it coming.

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Last edited by PhantomNote at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by PhantomNote
edit: Good man GuitarMunky.

I still need moar, keep it coming.

All i can think of are Fugues. They are the master songs of motiffs.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by tonger

Cool. At first it lacked and I thought, oh God, is this another one of those spam sites that you can't shut down. Guess I was wrong, spank you very much sir

metal4all: why can't I spell more wrong ?

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by PhantomNote
Cool. At first it lacked and I thought, oh God, is this another one of those spam sites that you can't shut down. Guess I was wrong, spank you very much sir

because it's a meme. UG doesn't like 4chan talk.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
because it's a meme. UG doesn't like 4chan talk.

Oh. Awriiight (in a couldn't care less sense ).

Enough of the spam posts.

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by PhantomNote

I didn't mean to spam, you were talking about Bach and Stravinsky far away from metal. Bach influenced almost all styles, listen carefully to modern guitarists and you find that some ideas are borrowed from baroque music. When I hear a man proclaiming that classic and jazz is dull I feel pretty sure that he just can't play it. To create something new you have to learn thoroughly what has been already played.

The ideas I found at bopland.org can be used in variety of styles. Sorry if it's not what you are looking for.
Quote by tonger
To create something new you have to learn thoroughly what has been already played.

some great advice right there.
shred is gaudy music
I find it easier to start with a chord progression. Once you have that you can loop it until you get your vocal or instrumental melody. I suppose this is a bit broad though.
Quote by tonger
I didn't mean to spam, you were talking about Bach and Stravinsky far away from metal. Bach influenced almost all styles, listen carefully to modern guitarists and you find that some ideas are borrowed from baroque music. When I hear a man proclaiming that classic and jazz is dull I feel pretty sure that he just can't play it. To create something new you have to learn thoroughly what has been already played.

The ideas I found at bopland.org can be used in variety of styles. Sorry if it's not what you are looking for.

It was to my own post actually. :p

I'm influenced by alot of other types of music than metal, and when I make and are going to make music it's more rock with techniques from metal.

And I don't think classical and jazz are boring. I like some of each, but sometimes, it can become dull - as every other genre can. Doesn't have anything to do with playing it or not.

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Last edited by PhantomNote at Mar 10, 2008,