Here's the test results from testing my ART TUBE MP STUDIO with my VJ head

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

WOW. It really does BOOST the VJ's volume and gain. By boosting the INPUT and OUTPUT levels it adds much more of both - you can overdrive the tube easily. It also has a +20db gain button (right below the green led) that slams it like a tubescreamer. The extra "noise" isn't that bad really with the VJ (noticed it more with my computer when using it as a DI in Logic)... It adds a true TUBE warmth that isn't bad at all - I'm probably going to order another one and keep this lil' baby hooked to the VJ.

It not only boosts the overall volume for clean & wide open "dirty" but it will make it louder and Dirtier too even dimed. I love it and for $30 it's a great addition to the family. I'm gonna take it apart tonight and try an EH 12AX7A I have in my drawer. Another bud of mine in another guitar forum says changing the tube really helps it "shine". I recommend this baby to anyone as a cheap "boost" and a great gain boost too at lower volumes. It works like a Tubescreamer! BUT A REAL TUBE Tubescreamer. I'm loving the differences I'm getting from it. It's a great "mod" and doesn't require soldering anything or drilling, etc. You'll love it
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I think if you hook up your guitar to it thru the Input and Output jacks, and then either turn up the input/output levels or use the 20dB boost button, it should boost the signal and push the amp. right?
have you tried recording with it? If it's not a problem, can you record two riffs (one with and one without the preamp?)
it's a BOOST and also gives it a warmer "buttery" sound when playing it at lower volumes - it boosts the cleans and really LIGHTS UP the gain too - I LOVE IT! Will try to post clips but I gotta leave right now - I was using it as a simple DI on my computer - it gives any sim a tuber sound and works great but when it's used with a Valve Junior (or BH I'm sure) it really adds a PIZAZZ that requires no soldering, drilling, etc. GET ONE AND TRY IT FOR YOURSELF - you'll be pleased as punch! Works great with computer playing too. If you don't think it's a great $30 MOD I'LL EAT YER HAT!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I just got the VJcombo for my g/f and spent the day yesterday trying different things with it. Bottom line is the valve Jr loves pedals. I was sold 5 minutes after I hooked my POD up to it. Soon as my tax check gets here i'm ordering the head/cab for me.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD