If you saw my Jazz Guitar Tone thread yesterday, we had basically decided for me to get a new guitar with a neck pickup. I had talked about an Epiphone Dot Studio, but I'd truly rather not have to bum for cash (I'm 14, so I don't like...have a steady source of income haha). So I was looking around at these, but it would be nice if you could give a few suggestions too.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-510470-i1146384.gc

The Squier standard tele strikes me as pretty nice. I mean....for a squier. I've played them before and they're pretty good. Maybe a tele custom would be nice if humbuckers are better for jazz.

Haha, that seems to be the only thing I can find. If you go much above that I might as well just get the studio dot. Are the squiers any good for Jazz though? I mean, keep in mind the single coils and all that. Also, would it be a pain in the ass to put flat wounds on it?
A neck humbucker is more suited to jazz, its darker and mellower
But i guess a single coil would work as well if you rolled off the tone knob
I'd recommend a semi-hollowbody, or hollowbody guitar with humbuckers, personally. But generally a Strat will do. I wouldn't recommend getting a Squier anyway, but Tele's aren't known for Jazz. Tonally, they're far more suited to Rock n roll, or heavier blues based music.

Go for the Epiphone Dot. NOT THE STUDIO, the uncovered pickups will sound much sharper, but not as smooth. And generally, they are lame.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=artcore&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go
Ibanez makes damn good jazz boxes.

And I find tele's to be a little too glassy for jazz tones. You can work it a little better with a strat or a Jazzmaster if you want to go the solid body route
to me teles are twangy and that isnt what you want for jazz.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
well for all of you, i basically have about the price of a studio to buy with. so your regular dots and ibanezes are out of the question.
To be honest, looks like you need to go to a shop, ask some questions, play some guitars. Then come back and ask us. As you'll be able to put in more input and give us more information.

Quote by ballroomofmars
well for all of you, i basically have about the price of a studio to buy with. so your regular dots and ibanezes are out of the question.

Save up, why the rush?
well I have learned from my own experience that a lot of time and money is wasted on crappy gear so I would advise you to stay away from the cheapest hollow body you can find.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
well, although its the cheapest, that doesn't mean it sucks. i've played them before and they sound fine. I mean not to be a jerk, but if musicians friend's cheapest hollowbody was a white falcon would that "suck"?
i have no idea. i've never played one. I'm just saying that the he usual case is that cheap gear doesn't sound all that great.

Then again, tone is completely subjective.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
dude you can get a full hollow artcore for about 350. A dot studio isn't that much cheaper
The studio dot will do you fine if your really strapped for cash. I was able to pump out some good jazz tones in my local shop when trying out their amps, but you should really try to push that budget to include the cheaper artcores. I really prefer those for budget jazz.

Also look for used hollowbodys in your local market. I see good looking artcores and dots go up on the craigslist every now and then for less than $300. An old beat up archtop acoustic would also make a good jazz guitar, just slap a GFS pickup on there, if it doesn't have one, and your set.
I use a fender strat while i roll back the tone and turn off the Fat switch on my Blues Junior so have no gain.

But with Jazz you can really have any sound you want to you don't need the classic smooth jazz guitar tone you can play jazz with high gain. Jazz is more a free space to experiment with things because most earlier jazz was just trying to do something and if it sounded good then you kept it. In my school Jazz band I play a strat and sometimes I kick in overdrive to solo on Blues by Five, or Blue Bossa chord comp.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
^lol i know what you mean. I love doing improv over Song for My Father with overdrive.

i still think a "proper" jazz tone is necessary for most situations though.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
well i really want the "jazz tone" and then I'll space out and fix up my perfect tone. So, i think i'll just go with the dot studio.
ok go for it if you feel that it's the best you can get for the money, the guys above can only influence your decision, they can't make it for you so go with what you feel is best
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
if you are willing to buy used. yes.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by hell_monkey
A neck humbucker is more suited to jazz, its darker and mellower
But i guess a single coil would work as well if you rolled off the tone knob

+1
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
you really deserve no help. you don't take suggestions, you bump constantly, and you sound like whiney little 13 year old bitch
^you beat me to it. i was going to say the same thing.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
what ****ing suggestions? i got 2 this whole time that were actual "suggestions" and they weren't in my price range. The reason i dont have time to really "wait" is because I'm 14 so my income is basically christmas and my birthday. so thats why im saying no to everything. the reason i bump constantly is because we have n00bs here who like make threads like OMG LIKE SQUIRES (spelled wrong for effect) SUCK ASSPUSSY! or WHICH GUITAR from the ones who have like 100 dollars and are wondering which gibson is "best for their money". so that way when you have a normal ****in thread it gets ignored and goes to the bottom of the list. jesus christ. why not help instead of bitch about me bitching?!?!
my suggestion regardless of your income is to buy used or save your money.

stop whining. your rant didn't exactly help.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12