I'm dieing to build my own guitar but I don't have a lot
of money for equipment and tools. Are there any handtools or
cheap powertools I can use to build a guitar with?
yu can get rounter bits that fit a power drill
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
dremel tool!!!!!!!!!!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
chisels , planers, handsanders, saws you get the idea
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
There are some super cheap routers on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2HP-1-2-1-4-SHANK-ELETRIC-PLUNGE-ROUTER-POWER-TOOL_W0QQitemZ230229213052QQihZ013QQcategoryZ20781QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's not going to be great, but it should work. When you're stuck on a low budget, a $200+ router isn't a great idea.

You can cut a body with that and do all the sanding/etc.. by hand.

You're not going to be building a neck on a super low budget, though.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
You do realize that even if you manage to get by on the cheapest tools possible, you're still spending a good couple hundred for tools alone right?

I woudl be much easier to find someone who has all the tools you need instead
You can't really feasibly build a guitar without a router. It will take you forever. Drill bits won't work, they're not a high enough RPM. Dremels are too small to do anything serious like cutting the body out.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
Dremels are too small to do anything serious like cutting the body out.

stew-mac sells full size router bits for dremels. you can build a guitar mostly with a dremel (there are some other necessary tools though). many people do it. including me.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Required tools:
Orbital or Straight-Line Sander
Router
Dremel
1/2" Drill

Plus a full bit catalog for the drill, router bits, and bits for the Dremel. This will bring you to well over $100 even if you shop at a budget place like Harbor Freight. Don't cheap out on the sander or drill. These will see a lot of use in everyday life in general, and it's key to have a high quality one. I like Craftsmen tools as they are pretty good in terms of bang for the buck while being well built. For the Router, just buy a cheap 1/4th trim router for $20 from Harbor Freight. Not the highest quality unit to there, but you aren't going to make a living with it. Note this does not include hand tools, like a set of files, screw drivers of all sizes, allen wrenches, levels, and rulers.

On a side note, even a Dremel with a special router bit won't work well. Dremel's aren't powerful enough to do much good with it, and if you use a Dremel router bit, it will overheat and the thermal cutoff will kill it before you get much done. They work best for pickup routes (with a sanding wheel attachment and patience). Control and trem routes are a job for a router.
Quote by t heff
chisels , planers, handsanders, saws you get the idea

I have/ can get these easily. will they work?
i like to mainly use hand tools, i shape necks mostly , i use a chizzle and a knife to do most the work and then a hand sander. i cut bodys with a handsaw, i use chizzles and a planer and hand sander to carve tops
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff