No, palm mutes and muted strings should sound completely different, palm muting is where you lay your palm across the bridge to dampen the string so they sound all crunchy and heavy and muted strings are represented by little Xs on tabs and sound dead notes rather than crunchy notes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Nope, there different

I used to do mute all the time but it sounds way better when its palm muted, unless is must be string muted

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Palm muting is used to make sure notes in rhythm parts don't bleed together, especially with high amounts of gain. Fret hand muting is more for a percussive effect.

That's basically what's been said, I just wanted to post here to let Snuffles know that his avatar is incredible.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No, palm mutes and muted strings should sound completely different, palm muting is where you lay your palm across the bridge to dampen the string so they sound all crunchy and heavy and muted strings are represented by little Xs on tabs and sound dead notes rather than crunchy notes.

my friend said the little X's on tabs are PALM MUTING
o_O

but since i have trouble palm muting + playing friggin 16ths notes at the same time,
I just use my fret fingers to mute it by lightly placing my fingers on the strings...
it sounds "muted" but it makes high pitch 'beeps' when i play it...
is that wut's supposed to happen?
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Quote by Samai
my friend said the little X's on tabs are PALM MUTING
o_O

but since i have trouble palm muting + playing friggin 16ths notes at the same time,
I just use my fret fingers to mute it by lightly placing my fingers on the strings...
it sounds "muted" but it makes high pitch 'beeps' when i play it...
is that wut's supposed to happen?

The X's can mean both palm muting and string muting...
Quote by Souls United
The X's can mean both palm muting and string muting...

Wrong. Palm mutes are usually identified by a . or something like - under the tab.

X is string muting which is just muting that string with the fretting hand creating a more percussive sound.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Muted strings shouldn't sound out, just the percussive sound of the pick against the string.
Palm mute doesn't mute the strings so much as dampen them, there's still sound there but volume and sustain will be lowered and the timbre (i guess) different.
Quote by -Blue-
K, I'm starting to get it now. I still think they sound the same, though. Can it be the guitar that's causing the problem (note: It's a squier strat )? Or do I just need to practice the technique more?

You need practice. i can't believe I'm about to use this example but at the beginning of "Smells like Teen Spirit" there's the chords followed by that scratching sound? That's what muted strings should sound like whereas palm muting is more like a crunchier, shorter version of the fretted note like in most metal songs (Master of Puppets being a good example).
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ok ic ic
i practiced the harmonics according to the column, and it was pretty cool :P

and the thing i said about the high pitched beeps werent really cuz of harmonics, since those notes are on the 15th/17th, it was probably just cuz of the gain i had on... lol
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Quote by Samai
ok ic ic
i practiced the harmonics according to the column, and it was pretty cool :P

and the thing i said about the high pitched beeps werent really cuz of harmonics, since those notes are on the 15th/17th, it was probably just cuz of the gain i had on... lol

That and they probly were harmonics. That's what usually happens. But you could be right it may have just been string noise.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.