Page 1 of 2
What's the best amps for stuff like Trivium, Pantera, Metallica, Lamb of God etc

I know the Peavey 6505 has br00tal gain but carp cleans. What about the Bugera 333XL? Bugera 6260?

I have about £800 ($1600) in total. NO MORE.

Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the cab budget is also included.
Last edited by Ht666 at Mar 9, 2008,
For that much you might want to look into Engl and Framus heads. Do you already have a cab?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would also check out ENGLs. THe XXL is a JSX copy I think so play one of those to see hoe you like it.

I'm pretty sure the XXL is a XXX copy.. Lmfao.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

ya check out the bugeras before they get sued, i'd probobly get the 6260, supposidly they're very good copies of peavey amps, i think it'd be better for the types of metal you listed thank the jsx or xxx copies.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Save up a bit and get an ENGL fireball.
More gain than you could ever need.
You can get thrash distortion with half as much gain as usual.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I got one sitting on my bedroom floor, waiting for a cab. Tried it out in the shop and I can tell you it'll nice. You should try it out though. I the Fireball (used) the footswitch and a cab for £850.

Hop on a train to London to Denmark Street.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Get the farking 5150 combo that you've been GASing for for ages you fag
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Get the farking 5150 combo that you've been GASing for for ages you fag

wanna sell me yours? :P
A 6505+ head on its own won't be much use to you

And the answer is no. Unless you wish to buy me a Solando SLO?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I just got a JVM410H and that thing has a crap load of gain. The clean channel sounds amazing, along with the crunch and 2 OD channels. I played it head to head with the Kerry King head, 6505, Mesa dual rectifier, and to me the 410H blew them away. Best amp i've heard.
Quote by jordan8865
I just got a JVM410H and that thing has a crap load of gain. The clean channel sounds amazing, along with the crunch and 2 OD channels. I played it head to head with the Kerry King head, 6505, Mesa dual rectifier, and to me the 410H blew them away. Best amp i've heard.

Even a Dual Rec rapes a JVM. Such an unforgiving ball of suck...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
a used Marshall 2203kk
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
^
Just as wrong. Sorry mate.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude

Yeah you're right... That's why Guitar World says ". . . OD1 and OD2 offer the hottest, most aggressive and wickedly refined high-gain sounds that have ever screamed from a stock Marshall."

I'm sure they meant to say it sucks.
Quote by jordan8865
Yeah you're right... That's why Guitar World says ". . . OD1 and OD2 offer the hottest, most aggressive and wickedly refined high-gain sounds that have ever screamed from a stock Marshall."

I'm sure they meant to say it sucks.

Payed reviews?

I wouldnt trust magazine reviews.

Magazines that advertise the amps they are reviewing.

But its all personal preferance anyways.
Those Bugera amps are geting some really good reviews and are excellent value for money.

I'm gutted they dont do any lower powewred versions as 120watts is just too much for me...
Buy an ENGL head and a Vader 2x12.... sick combination right there.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by FLCLcowdude

It seems the JVM 410h just won best amp head voted by over a 100 differen't magazines world wide. Further proof that it's a piece of crap like you say.
Quote by jordan8865
It seems the JVM 410h just won best amp head voted by over a 100 differen't magazines world wide. Further proof that it's a piece of crap like you say.

Honestly: a real gear-head knows where to draw the line when it comes to magazines.
They're fun to read, yes. They offer solid, insightful reviews, no.

The JVM is a really muddy head. To those who are just getting into that Marshall sound, and who can only differentiate between a JCM800 or 900 by the faceplate, yah, it'll do it for you. But once you start to really get an ear for a solid tone, you realize that its not all that.

I wouldn't say a Dual Rectifier beats one, but a Boogie Road King/Roadster sure does.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
DO NOT GET A RECTO mark III or IIV or a bogner but ENGL is hard to beat
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

TS the only engls you can afford are the Screamer and Thunder combo's. Check out the Krank Rev jr. The other option is Engl E530 preamp from Thomann £350 ish, a Power amp on ebay, Iv seen marshall 9100 50/50 poweramps go for £300 recently. then you would have around £250 left for a 2x12 framus cab. job done!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Please do not buy from bugera. They have terrible build quality. But if you must do yourself a favor and everytime you turn it on please shield your face (I'm not kidding).
Quote by stevenexp
Please do not buy from bugera. They have terrible build quality. But if you must do yourself a favor and everytime you turn it on please shield your face (I'm not kidding).

Honestly, can you link me to the reports of caps blowing? I wish to see them myself.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Guys your all recommending amps that are way out of his price range. You cant get a mesa or an engl for £800, a powerball is around £1000, and this guy is needing a cabinet too.

Id recommend you look into Laney GH50L, they cost £400 so they are well within your budget, plus ive heard some people say they are very similar to the 5150 tone wise. Im saving up for one

Another amp you should look into is the Krank Rev Jr, I know a guy who had a 6505 but has just sold it and replaced it with a Rev Jr, that goes to show how good the Krank must be, its only £400 too, or you can get the half stack for a little more, I think the full stack is £800.
Quote by the_mustard_man
Guys your all recommending amps that are way out of his price range. You cant get a mesa or an engl for £800, a powerball is around £1000, and this guy is needing a cabinet too.

Id recommend you look into Laney GH50L, they cost £400 so they are well within your budget, plus ive heard some people say they are very similar to the 5150 tone wise. Im saving up for one

Another amp you should look into is the Krank Rev Jr, I know a guy who had a 6505 but has just sold it and replaced it with a Rev Jr, that goes to show how good the Krank must be, its only £400 too, or you can get the half stack for a little more, I think the full stack is £800.

The Laney will sound nothing like the 5150, it's too bright for that.

The GH50L's still worth looking at, of course, as are the GH100TI and VH100Rs. But if you're looking for that dark metalcore type tone there are better choices.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Carvin V3 anyone?

Even in the rare occasion that it doesn't have enough gain for you, I'm sure you could run a Maxon through it...

Seriously TS check 'em out, here's the links to the 2 UK retailers.

http://www.guitarlefty.com

http://www.rockstarguitar.co.uk

You'll want to email the owners and check if they have them in stock, I know quite recently they sold a lot.
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
What, does singing "Moderfukin death, Sat@n is t3h 1337!!" make you feel tough?

Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
shame the Carvins are out of the budget. I have a feeling that the TS could do with a bit more saving to get a truly amazing bit of kit. I mean if I had 800 notes id be looking for another £200 from somwhere to get somthing very nice since your spending so much you may as well save a little more and get an amp you will be truly happy with.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by Matt_Synyster
Carvin V3 anyone?

Even in the rare occasion that it doesn't have enough gain for you, I'm sure you could run a Maxon through it...

Seriously TS check 'em out, here's the links to the 2 UK retailers.

http://www.guitarlefty.com

http://www.rockstarguitar.co.uk

You'll want to email the owners and check if they have them in stock, I know quite recently they sold a lot.

Carvin V3 is what you want. i went from 5150 to v3 its far better (might need a maxon tho)
Quote by Striketalonx
Honestly: a real gear-head knows where to draw the line when it comes to magazines.
They're fun to read, yes. They offer solid, insightful reviews, no.

The JVM is a really muddy head. To those who are just getting into that Marshall sound, and who can only differentiate between a JCM800 or 900 by the faceplate, yah, it'll do it for you. But once you start to really get an ear for a solid tone, you realize that its not all that.

I wouldn't say a Dual Rectifier beats one, but a Boogie Road King/Roadster sure does.

Right... So it's a vast conspiracy of every guitar mag worldwide. And I suppose the reason it has one of the best ratings on Harmony Central means nothing as well.
Quote by jordan8865

Sorry n00b. I used to own one, so you lose. I hated the sound of it, so I sold it.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Page 1 of 2