(Invalid img)

Sorry for the big picture. I'm interested in the 5 sound Rotary switch mod at the bottom. I 'm replacing the pickups in my guitar soon and I don't understand this diagram. Could someone explain to me what I would need to buy to make this work, and what north/south means (+wtf is a rotary switch and why is it split in 1/2? I think its like a click dial but i'm not sure?).

Thanks very much to anyone who takes the time to read this and answer my question (or directs me to a site which does )

P.S - I have a Jackson DK2M (HH)
im only sorta sure about a few things. the north and south is which part of the pickup is being used while in single coil mode. a rotary dial is like what you said its a type of click dial. thats about all i can figure out. btw...where did you find this diagram? if you can find contact info on that site they might be able to explain it a bit better.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Yes its like a clicking dial. It's split in half because the one they show is a 4P5T Rotary. There are two levels stacked on top of each other and the single knob switches both at the same time.

The connections in the center of the rotary are the poles, each one is tied to the 5 lugs that surround it. When you rotate the switch, it selects a different output. (1,2,3,4 or 5)
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
top and bottom because it's kinda like two switches both controlled at the same time.

north and south means coils.

revised explanation:

1. both pickups of the humbucker wired from end to end.

+(North pickup)- +(South Pickup)- so that current has to go through both pickups, one in front of the other, if it's going to go anywhere at all.

2. the top pickup by itself

3. both pickups leads are polarly (it's my word damnit) combined. both positives together, both negatives together. each pickup has the same potential for current.

4. the bottom pickup by itself

5. the same as the first except the negative lead on the pickup that would have went to the ground tip on the jack is now at the positive lead on the jack and the positive lead from the other pickup is on the ground jack. you're making the signal go the <i>other</i> way through the pickups.

"The best way to think about electronics: it's like water. The best way to think about bolts/studs/screws? Metal rubber bands!" --- Quote from my electronics professor who was ironically also my mechanics professor as well. Figured the water reference would help visualisation. The metal rubber band joke is in reality, a decent way to visualize bolts. ...And it's funny.

FWIW - I like that style of pickup selection scheme for dual hums.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Thanks very much for all your help, I understand it now. The problem I have is that my guitar has two pots routed - a master volume knob and a master tone knob. Is there any way I could perform this mod and sacrifice my tone knob, instead having a master rotary switch? I really don't want to have to route any more holes in my guitar. Any help you could offer on this would be electronically godlike .
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Thanks very much for all your help, I understand it now. The problem I have is that my guitar has two pots routed - a master volume knob and a master tone knob. Is there any way I could perform this mod and sacrifice my tone knob, instead having a master rotary switch? I really don't want to have to route any more holes in my guitar. Any help you could offer on this would be electronically godlike .
This for instead of a tone? Sure. You don't really need a tone control. If you have enough room for the switch in the control cavity, no problem. Most rotary switches of that sort are a little bigger than a pot, but it's still likely to fit.

The most important thing to ask yourself is: What sounds will this give me?

This circuit is designed to manage the 2 coils of one pickup.
So it only changes the sound of one pickup.

The combinations:

HB in series - this is the sound you're used to hearing from a HB
Single coil (north) - A single coil-ish sound. North is generally the screw coil
Parallel in phase - Nice sound. Almost as pure as a single, but hum canceling!
Single coil (south) - Kind of a waste. Slug coil instead of screw coil. Sounds almost the same.
Series out of phase - COMPLETE waste. extremely weak, tinny, and not hum-canceling.

Out of phase pickups sound all right, if there is some distance between them.
But subtracting B from A when the sound is almost identical = Big Zero.

Imho, you would be better off using 2 push-pull pots, to change each pickup from series to parallel.

AND use this circuit to manage the two PICKUPS. Just use a SuperSwitch.
It acts like a 4P5T rotary. And it fits where your present pickup selector is.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
So you mean replace my tone knob with a push pull pot that will switch my humbucker from parallel to series? If the out of phase thing does suck as you say then I guess that's a good idea. The problem is that I only have two holes, and one has to be a volume. So can I use the tone knob hole and make this pot a master switch so it will work with both humbuckers?