Hey guys, I just got new hughes and kettner switchblade 50 combo. It is great! Tone galore, tons of features, does not sound very processed at all! The amp is great for high gain, and has a very crisp clean. The clean can also be very warm and jazzy.

The high gain is crushing, and can support almost anything. Highs Mids Lows, everything, the knobs are very sensitive, so you can get tons of different sounds. The leads are also simply liquid smooth and killer. Effects are great, though the modulation is ok, (i'm not a big fan of modulation anyways so I'm biased). The delay and reverb is plentiful and the tap delay on the footswitch is great. Only real thing is the lack of warmth with the crunch channel, but I'm sure a tubescreamer will fix that.

I used musicians friend and I live in Canada. The customs was alot, but the shipping was free, and 3 day delivery! Can''t complain

There is a slight problem though. Is it normal for a tube amp to smell like burning plastic near the back? Also the metal grill above the tubes is getting very very hot. I'm scared that something is going wrong back there? I don't want to damage any goods, and the threads I've searched have mixed feelings. It could be the tubes getting broken in (normal), or it could be something melting (horrible ) in the back. So I don't know f it is normal or not.. ? Please help.

Also the D channel on the footswitch takes several clicks to switch too, can I send it back to musiciansfriend and have them send me a new one, or what do I do...?

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
Last edited by Erich yeung at Mar 9, 2008,
I think I read over at Harmony Central that they're very unreliable. :\
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
In what way^?
My Youtube Vids

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

They go up in smoke.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Hughes+&+Kettner/Switchblade+50+W+Combo/10/1

Just what I read there. If you're worried it's not working you could try giving Musicians friend a ring and maybe swap it?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
There's no actual smoke, just a smoky plastic burning smell, and it really bothers me, to the point where I'm scared to play it. Should take it into a shop to make sure everything is good?
My Youtube Vids

bump
My Youtube Vids

Well I ALWAYS get a slight burning plastic smell on new electronic products (including when I got my 6505+), so I'd say as long as it works fine, leave it for a little while, and get it checked if it persists.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^ yeah I'm just scared that if I continue playing the amp and the tubes have blown, or if somethings getting melted, that my amp might be damaged beyond repair. I'm thinking of maybe getting it checked out but it would be stupid to do that and waste money if its normal. The metal grill above it was getting pretty damn hot, is that normal? Yeah the smell is pretty much melting plastic/smoke smell, but no actual smoke, and the tubes are an orangey-yellowish glow which is normal I presume? I might just be worrying too much, but I love this amp to death and I would hate to ruin it with something stupid. It might just be the tubes being broken in.
My Youtube Vids

help?
My Youtube Vids

i just got a usMasters 30w amp, and as soon as i fired it up i picked up a burning plastic smell.

i asked slats and dave and they said thats pretty normal.

i check inside with a flashlight to make sure no wrapping got caught up in there. the tubes are glowing and the amp sounds good.

it's been a week, i still smell the plastic, i think it's not as strong.

but you know, i figured these guys are right. and if i'm going to break it, id want to do it within the 30 days return. so i'm playing mine.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah I just called the shop and they said it wasn't normal for them to be smelling like that, yet tones of ppl online are saying that it is just getting broken in? Is the shop trying to jip me? Or is it just a common misconception about the breaking in?
My Youtube Vids

im not sure. i mean, like i said. i asked these guys and i even called my shop, they all said some smell is normal. (you could call ur customer servive)

but there's always a chance it isnt. i would definately look in the amp, make sure no plastic got in there.

and if you are really this upset over it, find a guitar shop you trust, walk in with the amp, and ask an opinion.

i wouldnt expect this guy could identify a smell over the phone.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Not over the phone but good thing my video phones have smell-o-vision . Anyways, yeah the customer service for musiciansfriend wouldn't help with this stuff, and I know there isn't wrap on the tubes cause I can see'em. So I mean I think I'm gonna be safe and check it out.
My Youtube Vids

Ugh the warranty is void if I take it into a shop, now I gotta email H and K to see where their service center is in canada...I might just play it and not worry about it for now. The footswitch D channel is messed, so I have to send it in either way.
My Youtube Vids

Leave the amp on for a few hours (with supervision). Then, move the amp to a room where you can't detect the burning smell. Turn it on again. If the smell persists, that should be a red flag. I know the smell you speak of; Ive had it with all my tube amps. But it always dissipated quickly.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
pretty sure this is normal with any new tube amp....

I was running a marshall TSL100 and the same thing.

As soon as I fired it up for the first time.... smoky/burning smell on the grille above the tubes, and it got hot as hell. No need to worry I would say, and if it does blow up, I'm pretty sure H&K has a killer warranty.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
No need to worry I would say, and if it does blow up, I'm pretty sure H&K has a killer warranty.

"If you are murdered, either by result, fault, damage, or consequence of using a H&K product, we will ensure a new product is dispatched to replace your old version. Please send your delivery to :

13th Friday Street
H&K's Amp Murder Dept.
Totally Fried Inc."

But in all seriousness, I think it's probably fairly normal for your amp to be exhuming a little fume. Cover it with scented candles, or one of those plug-in smelly things.

Also, pics don't work.
^yeah I'm a noob at posting pics. Would a fan be a good idea or what? I appreciate all the help though guys, I think it should be ok.

Now for my footswitch problem.....
My Youtube Vids

i would check the footswitch with a different amp, if it's shoddy then call MF and have them send you a return label for the switch. swap for new.

also you can take it into a shop for an opinion. i wouldnt expect you would need to pay to have them use their sense of smell.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62